Asian Elephant Cured of Heroin Addiction in Rehab

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by southcitymom, Sep 4, 2008.

1. southcitymom

southcitymom New Member

BEIJING - An Asian elephant that became addicted to heroin at the hands of illegal traders will return home after a three-year rehab program, Chinese state media said Thursday.
    <SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['GaMWF0wNBmc-']='&U=13f02kcbh%2fN%3dGaMWF0wNBmc-%2fC%3d571921.12951085.13176694.1414694%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5166954%2fV%3d1';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
    Xiguang, a 4-year-old male Asian elephant, became addicted after he was captured by smugglers along the Chinese-Myanmar border in March 2005. The traders fed the elephant bananas laced with heroin as bait and to pacify the creature, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

More at link

http://tickermyfeed.com/news.php/MHx8ZnJlZQ==/asian_elephant_cured_in_rehab_of_heroin_addiction

Okay, y'all - I know this isn't funny, but when I read the headline, I laughed out loud!

2. Loading...

3. Lucy's mom

Lucy's mom Member

Very sad for the elephant.,..darn drug people. I hate people like this. Leave animals and children alone!!!!

4. graybar hotel

graybar hotel New Member

Thanks for posting, I am glad to hear the little guy is finallly being taken care of properly.

5. nicola

nicola New Member

Im glad they have detoxed the elephant as it could have led to a life of crime or prostitution to pay for its drugs.

6. poco

poco A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Wonder if his after care will require him to attend NA meetings?

7. Kymistry35

Kymistry35 It's never to late to be who you could have been

Poor guy. The headline is funny, but it is a sad story. I am glad that he will be taken care of now.

8. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

Before reading the article I thought what heroin addict would share their dope? Let alone with an elephant?

Poor guy. I couldn't see the link, but I am wondering if they gave the poor guy methadone? What kind of human beings would do that to an animal? Oh, yeah nasty people who abuse them.