At Urging Of Minneapolis Police, Hennepin Ems Workers Subdued Dozens With A Powerful Sedative

Wire154a

Former Member
Reaction score
At urging of Minneapolis police, Hennepin EMS workers subdued dozens with a powerful sedative

On multiple occasions, in the presence of Minneapolis police, Hennepin Healthcare EMS workers injected suspects of crimes who already appeared to be restrained and the ketamine caused heart or breathing failure, according to a new city report.

Minneapolis police officers have repeatedly requested over the past three years that Hennepin County medical responders sedate people using the powerful tranquilizer ketamine, at times over the protests of those being drugged, and in some cases when no apparent crime was committed, a city report shows.
--
much more at Star Tribune link above

Good Lord.

At urging of Minneapolis police, Hennepin EMS workers subdued dozens with a powerful sedative
Per article:
"Minneapolis police previously had no policy addressing the drug, and the department manual classifies it as a “date rape drug” for its powerful sedative impact and ability to erase or alter memory."

Wow! Imagine all the things they could do to take advantage of these people! Very scary. I can't stand when those paid to protect and serve abuse their power. SMH​

Per article:
"Minneapolis police previously had no policy addressing the drug, and the department manual classifies it as a “date rape drug” for its powerful sedative impact and ability to erase or alter memory."

Wow! Imagine all the things they could do to take advantage of these people! Very scary. I can't stand when those paid to protect and serve abuse their power. SMH​

How do they dare question why they aren’t trusted?

I'm guessing that Mn. isn't the only place doing this, it's just the
first one we've heard about.
Watch the news and see if it doesn't get reported that other PD's
advocate for this.

Well they're using it in Florida also and from this article it seems
to be a 'recommended' drug for EMS and PD's.

lost the link, I'll get it and be back.

This article seems to be suggesting the use of ketamine sedation for medical reasons, so that they can actually medically assist the patient without the patient harming themselves, the paramedic staff or anyone else. It also says that some patients will have heart issues due to the extreme agitation, so that needs to be a medical decision on whether sedating the patient so that they can be monitored and treated outweighs the risks of the person going into heart failure in the midst of being too agitated to be treated.

I'm relieved that the article does say that:

"On May 18, around the time the draft report was completed, Minneapolis police Cmdr. Todd Sauvageau issued a departmental order saying that officers “shall never suggest or demand EMS Personnel ‘sedated’ a subject. This is a decision that needs to be clearly made by EMS Personnel, not MPD Officers."

And I would think that is what the rule needs to be in every jurisdiction.

It sounds like a lazy police force that doesn’t want to deal with agitated people. Wonder what the percentages are that the majority that are sedated are black?

Don’t EMS people have an oath similar to doctors? What is the peer ranking - are police officers higher than EMS?
Can EMS refuse to follow a police officer’s orders without getting in trouble?

If our world is stooping this low, lets give the drug that makes you tell the truth and save all the money wasted on the lies perps tell In solving a case! Sodium Penathol or hypnotize them.

I'm confused to why these individuals where sedated.
“In many cases, the individual being detained or arrested was not only handcuffed, but strapped down on a stretcher in an ambulance before receiving ketamine,” the report states. It raises a “concerning question” over why these people are given the drug before they are transported to the hospital, “given the immediate effects on breathing and heart function that the drug induces.”

If they are strapped down and handcuffed on a stretcher, their level of agitation is irrelevant. They can't harm themselves or others at that point.

I don't get this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back