Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the implication is that the defence may argue that is was misidentification. In fairness, even experienced foragers can make mistakes. In France all pharmacists are trained to ID mushrooms for customers because it can be so risky. Even on mushroom ID forums populated with experts you’ll sometimes get disagreement and no consensus without biological testing of a species.

It’s a bit like if somebody mixed every brand of potato crisps together in a bowl and asked you to find the Walkers ones on sight. Possible, once you know what you’re looking for, but easy to make mistakes too.
True, but how will the defence explain that all the people at that table became deathly ill except one - the one who happened to cook the dish that poisoned the others?

True, but how will the defence explain that all the people at that table became deathly ill except one - the one who happened to cook the dish that poisoned the others?
It was not only that---but EP claimed that she also fed the same dish to her 2 kids, but first scraped the mushrooms off. But that is not possible---because all the experts say that if death caps are cooked with other foods, the toxins will spread throughout the entire dish.

So even if she had scraped off the toxic mushrooms, the beef and the crust would be deadly and her children would have been very sick at the very least. Did she lie about serving them that?

Also, she had a big Labrador. If she served a beef entree to 7 people---that's 7 plates full of beef scraps. Hard to believe she wouldn't have given some scraps of meat to that beautiful big lab. Unless maybe she knew better....?

It was not only that---but EP claimed that she also fed the same dish to her 2 kids, but first scraped the mushrooms off. But that is not possible---because all the experts say that if death caps are cooked with other foods, the toxins will spread throughout the entire dish.

So even if she had scraped off the toxic mushrooms, the beef and the crust would be deadly and her children would have been very sick at the very least. Did she lie about serving them that?

Also, she had a big Labrador. If she served a beef entree to 7 people---that's 7 plates full of beef scraps. Hard to believe she wouldn't have given some scraps of meat to that beautiful big lab. Unless maybe she knew better....?
I am so glad her big Labrador was not poisoned! My big chocolate Lab is now 13, she is the love of my life :)

I am so glad her big Labrador was not poisoned! My big chocolate Lab is now 13, she is the love of my life :)
I hear ya. I've had labs through out my life. Such wonderful, loyal dogs. I LOVE them.

And they LOVE their food. I don't give my dogs people food---but I do give them scraps of meat that I cook. They LOVE some nice beef or chicken table scraps. So I couldn't imagine that EP wouldn't have given her sweet black lab some beef scraps after the luncheon---- on a normal day, anyway.

Some families are strict about not feeding pets table scraps - granted, hard to stick to that rule with a Lab around.

Or the recipe contained onions (toxic to dogs).

IMO the prosecution will be required to prove that the case has been proved "beyond reasonable doubt" - eg why did the others at the lunch not become deathly ill - any good defence lawyer will provide some compelling reasons IMO eg: EP wasn't feeling all that well so wasn't hungry/had eaten earlier so she could concentrate on the complex nature of preparation of the Beef Wellington without feeling hungry/low blood sugar etc
(Please note that these are just examples of what could be stated.) MOO

Last edited:
I hear ya. I've had labs through out my life. Such wonderful, loyal dogs. I LOVE them.

And they LOVE their food. I don't give my dogs people food---but I do give them scraps of meat that I cook. They LOVE some nice beef or chicken table scraps. So I couldn't imagine that EP wouldn't have given her sweet black lab some beef scraps after the luncheon---- on a normal day, anyway.
Same here, her Poppa makes home made chicken soup no onions, and some choice yummy chicken and beef bits land in her and our pup's bowls. Fat free yogurt and fat free cottage cheese etc. Today was sugar free apple sauce, devoured!

Living creatures who did not get sick and/or die following Beef Wellington meal:

Erin
Male child
Female child
Adorable chocolate black lab

And that’s just a fact.

IMO

IMO the prosecution will be required to prove that the case has been proved "beyond reasonable doubt" - eg why did the others at the lunch not become deathly ill - any good defence lawyer will provide some compelling reasons IMO eg: EP wasn't feeling all that well so wasn't hungry/had eaten earlier so she could concentrate on the complex nature of preparation of the Beef Wellington without feeling hungry/low blood sugar etc
(Please note that these are just examples of what could be stated.) MOO

The problem for Erin might be that there was a survivor that can answer those questions. What if the luncheon survivor remembers seeing Erin eating a big slice of wellington that day?

Any excuse given by the defense might end up being in conflict with the survivor's memory of the events.

Not that one.

THE Korumburra tradesman who took a photo of a so-called “death wall” at a house in Shellcot Road, Korumburra last year. . . .
Thank you. I found the referenced news.com.au article with the alleged photo https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/a879b2505a32b22dc16214201659dab4

I wish I knew a child psychologist to ask what it all means.

So it wasn't rented out then?

Not really. Some of the drawings my kids did are kind of on a par with those drawings.
Kids like gruesome things. It's normal in my opinion.
Well, we don’t have any proof as to who drew the pictures, who wrote what and when and about whom. There’s cursive writing on that wall and it’s fairly neat.

That wall is problematic.

That’s my opinion. I’ll leave it at that.

Thank you. I found the referenced news.com.au article with the alleged photo https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e/news-story/a879b2505a32b22dc16214201659dab4

No, afaik, it was cleaned up before it was rented out.

I think the trades person had to paint over it a number of times to bring the wall back to a reasonable standard for occupancy, iirc.

What a job.

All my opinion only.

I dunno.... I just think young teens are into these types of images, stories. etc... Horror movies, young adult books... grave yards, tombstones, gobs of RIPs.... I just don't find this that far off the mark. Their mum just gave them a "canvas" to make it brighter and bolder. moo.

JMO…
OTOH the context is interesting, given that EP appeared to harbor a moderate level of frustration and resentment. Did those feelings trickle down to the kids?

EP resented SP’s lack of helping in the house.
She resented the locals when she edited the flyer, calling them “illiterate m-fers.”
She resented her parents, calling them robotic.

It sounds like EP had a major bone to pick with the world. Of course we can only judge by what’s been revealed through her online communications. Still, it seems on the surface anyway that she wasn’t a happy person.

Kids have an uncanny way of sensing parental feelings even when they’re subtle.

I dunno.... I just think young teens are into these types of images, stories. etc... Horror movies, young adult books... grave yards, tombstones, gobs of RIPs.... I just don't find this that far off the mark. Their mum just gave them a "canvas" to make it brighter and bolder. moo.
And all of this during/post-COVID. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a school aged child during all of that. Their maternal grandmother had also died in 2019, pre-pandemic. If I was a child, young teenager or even an older teenager, I think I'd be feeling some pretty strong feelings about death, mortality and morbidity as well!! Jmo :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph