Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by MelmothTheLost, May 11, 2018.

1. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost New Member

Four autistic children and their mother who was being 'stalked by her ex' are among the seven victims shot dead in a 'mass murder-suicide' in a remote family home south of Perth

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...amily-live-mass-murder-suicide-farmhouse.html

Mods - I couldn't find a thread about this shooting but if I've missed one please amalgamate.

2. Loading...

3. Jax49

Jax49 Well-Known Member

[h=1]Family dead in Australia’s worst mass shooting in two decades[/h]
    https://nypost.com/2018/05/11/family-dead-in-australias-worst-mass-shooting-in-two-decades/

4. GreyClay

GreyClay New Member

Hmmm. Former partner does not seem to be involved atm:

Speculation / My own opinion...

Attached Files:

• MR.jpg
      MR.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
  5. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

6. MelmothTheLost

7. Morrisa

Morrisa Member

Such a terrible tragedy. RIP. Thoughts and prayers with their loved ones.

8. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

9. Elley Mae

NEIGHBOURS have revealed hearing early morning gunshots after seven family members were found dead at a rural property south of Perth.

http://www.news.com.au/national/wes...a/news-story/77d88b0ab55d72537d8861cdd0ce544a

A “male person” connected to the property called police early on Friday morning. It is believed the triple-0 call was made by the killer, a man who is among the dead.

In a Facebook post on her own page, Ms Miles described herself as the “parent of four beautiful children”.

It’s understood all four kids had autism and were homeschooled. Friends described her as a mother absolutely devoted to her children.

“Something woke me up around 4am. I heard quite a few gunshots and I thought, ‘That’s a bit strange, that’s an odd hour to be shooting kangaroos’,” she told Perth Now.

“(The shots) were separated out, there was quite a long gap between them. It wasn’t one after another.”

Snippets, more at link.

10. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

I can still access it. Are you signed into FB?

11. MelmothTheLost

I don't use facebook, so that may be the problem :thinking:

12. MelmothTheLost

So that is either Katrina's father or one of her sons. Looking at the photo of the children the two boys really aren't old enough to sound like men on the phone, so that rather points to her father.

The question around the most likely scenario is what could have made her father snap and shoot the entire family and then himself?

13. claudianunes

claudianunes Member

The people deceased were the mother, the four children and a set of grandparents? If it was a murder-suicide, no ex is involved.

14. afajag

afajag New Member

Could be more to it..Katrina's FB has a different surname in the address bar so either she is living with the ex parents or her own parents. I have heard the former and also heard ex was stalking her. And the male caller was who, the grandpa? Doesn't really add up yet!

15. Elley Mae

The male being described as “connected to the property” I wonder if he is a farm hand.?

16. afajag

afajag New Member

im thinking given the choice in eye wear that's her brother/s. With kids, grandma, grandpa so yeah more than likely not her in-laws. Hard for me to believe one of these people killed 7 people (might be more to it?), just so tragic :(

17. MelmothTheLost

The Guardian article says she and the children were living on a property owned by her parents, not her ex's family.

18. MelmothTheLost

That hadn't occurred to me, but it seems unlikely unless the farm was being actively worked. From the articles linked, it sounds as though the property was bought to be somewhere Katrina could bring up and educate the children rather than a working farm. But who knows?

19. eucalyptuz

eucalyptuz Active Member

It is very sad that the last two mass shootings in a country that has almost eradicated them occurred in farming communities where maybe the farmers are doing it hard...
    ...a little snooping on this family's SM indicates some recent hardships.

It is worth mentioning that farmers are some of the few Australians that are allowed to own guns...

20. afajag

afajag New Member

Yes that's what I read, then I saw someone comment otherwise. The guardian is probably a more reliable source anyhow.

21. afajag

afajag New Member

TBH I didn't really get the feel for financial hardships in that family..Having that acreage in that area with a pool and off road buggy seems a bit of a luxury but maybe I missed something. Certainly the disability could be trying and with changes to NDIS lately a final straw. Really don't know, but I still wonder about where Katrina's ex comes into this tragedy, if at all.