Australia - Car crash forces abortion

Hello everyone. LaineySue told me about this thread. As she has said in her previous posts, she is Nick's aunt on his mother's side. I am Nick's aunt on his father's side. I want to back up everything she has said here.

Please, do NOT believe everything you have read in the papers about this case. The newspapers completely sensationalised the reporting, and in the process added a whole lot of stuff they made up, and so much of it just was not true.

The facts are - neither he nor she remember anything of the accident. Haylee had called Nick very late at night, waking him from a deep sleep and asked him to drive across town to pick her up. When he got there, she had fallen asleep, so he also went back to sleep in his car. She then woke him up and just before 3am they set off. So that was twice he'd been woken up. She was pregnant, which neither of them knew at the time (as LaineySue said, they had broken up some time before). I have been told she chose to terminate, it was not as a result of the crash (despite what the glaring headlines in the papers were).

Nick spent every moment of every day and night by her bedside, and in all my life, I have never seen anyone so full of remorse. I was there at the hospital, and I saw how he was. A year and a half after the crash, she had a baby (by someone else), so the news reports saying that she would never be able to have a child are just absolutely not true. Same with news reports saying that she couldn't get in a car again. While she may have had some trepidation about being in a vehicle, I have seen her in a car after the accident.

It is quite likely that the reporter also made up the quote about Nick being a *advertiser censored**wit. The story I heard is that Haylee did not recall saying it.

Nick had a very good job and his employer stood up in court and pleaded with the judge not to sentence him to prison time. Even the Prosecution was surprised at the severity of the sentence. So this young man is in prison, and was surrounded by violent offenders, rapists, murderers, men that have mutilated their wives. That makes no sense to me at all.

Yes, it looks like he was speeding. But it also seems apparent to me that he fell asleep at the wheel, (not surprising seeing as Haylee had woken him up twice in the previous hours). I think that's somethng that we've all been guilty of, driving while feeling tired.

I know if I only knew what I'd read in the papers, I'd probably think as some here have - that he was a callous, unfeeling man who ruined someone's life. But the reality is very different. Nick is an extremely compassionate young man. Yes, it was a terrible thing that happened and my heart goes out to Haylee. But it was in no way deliberate or malicious. Please do not judge my nephew merely by what you read in the papers. Remember that he was not given a chance to respond to those articles.

I just thought I would give you an update of this thread. Nick has served his time and is getting his life back in order. He has resumed his job and is trying to put all this behind him. Sadly, a week before his release my mother passed away and because he was imprisoned he was unable to attend his grandmothers funeral and he dearly wanted to be there. Nick was very close to his grandma and loved her very much but missed the chance for a last goodbye.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back