Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

Twitter
The Daily Telegraph
@dailytelegraph

True Crime: Three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer vanished from a NSW beach in 1970. Now there's new hope in cracking the case. (link: http://bit.ly/2NBO8S1) bit.ly/2NBO8S1
Thanks for the link Bohemian.
Sgt Damien Loone is getting a name for high profile cold cases with both Cheryl Grimmer and Lynette Dawson Australia - Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982Australia - Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982

it will be very sad if he has done this since that could have been prevented if they had taken his confession more seriously ..... i find it difficult to believe that his urge to kill suddenly went away

it will be very sad if he has done this since that could have been prevented if they had taken his confession more seriously ..... i find it difficult to believe that his urge to kill suddenly went away
It might have been the right decision at the time. A teenager in a boys home looking not to be beaten up, may make up a story like that for street cred. He answered enough answers wrong to make police disbelieve his story. There is always part of the evidence that police don't disclose in cases because it is common that people confess. I would assume there is some other evidence that may point to this young kid at the time.

A Sydney boy's shelter is interesting.
I thought detectives were interested in anyone connected to Mount Penang Training School located on the Central Coast. Perhaps they are connected?
The accused is of English descent. From the link, had spent time in psychiatric ward in Brisbane. A Sydney Boy's shelter and Mount Penang Training School somehow connected.
So glad this is going to trial in September. My thoughts are with Cheryl and her family and hoping this process brings justice.

Man to stand trial over murder of three-year-old 48 years ago
Mr Findlay said they were contacted by a Sydney boys' shelter in April 1971 recommending they come and interview a detainee - the accused - in relation to a serious matter.

A Sydney boy's shelter is interesting.
I thought detectives were interested in anyone connected to Mount Penang Training School located on the Central Coast. Perhaps they are connected?
The accused is of English descent. From the link, had spent time in psychiatric ward in Brisbane. A Sydney Boy's shelter and Mount Penang Training School somehow connected.
So glad this is going to trial in September. My thoughts are with Cheryl and her family and hoping this process brings justice.

Man to stand trial over murder of three-year-old 48 years ago
Mr Findlay said they were contacted by a Sydney boys' shelter in April 1971 recommending they come and interview a detainee - the accused - in relation to a serious matter.

I remember Mt Penang being mentioned by police. They were appealing for past staff members to contact them. There were a number of boys’ homes located in Sydney at the time of Cheryl’s murder, maybe one of them was connected to Mt Penang. Or, the journo got it wrong. That’s always a possibility.

@symbah Found a reference to a Sydney boy’s shelter in this MSM article:

Detective typed, as alleged Grimmer killer delivered 1971 Fairy Meadow ‘confession’

‘Some of Friday’s cross-examination focused on the circumstances of the alleged confession, which was recorded at the Metropolitan Children’s Shelter in Surry Hills – the equivalent of a juvenile detention centre. ‘

btw:

The matter returns to the Supreme Court on September 7.

The man has been refused bail
, meantime.’

@symbah Found a reference to a Sydney boy’s shelter in this MSM article:

Detective typed, as alleged Grimmer killer delivered 1971 Fairy Meadow ‘confession’

‘Some of Friday’s cross-examination focused on the circumstances of the alleged confession, which was recorded at the Metropolitan Children’s Shelter in Surry Hills – the equivalent of a juvenile detention centre. ‘

btw:

The matter returns to the Supreme Court on September 7.

The man has been refused bail
, meantime.’

Thank you Bo. He certainly got around, add Melbourne to the list.
I'm not sure how one escapes a hostel, perhaps an immigrant hostel with rules as to coming and going?

From you're link:
The police notes catalog “extensive inquiry” made to establish the teen’s whereabouts between January 8, 1970, when he escaped from a Melbourne hostel, and February 5, 1970, when he was located at Carnavon.

Thank you Bo. He certainly got around, add Melbourne to the list.
I'm not sure how one escapes a hostel, perhaps an immigrant hostel with rules as to coming and going?

From you're link:
The police notes catalog “extensive inquiry” made to establish the teen’s whereabouts between January 8, 1970, when he escaped from a Melbourne hostel, and February 5, 1970, when he was located at Carnavon.

Could have been another juvenile detention centre. They were called alternatively boys’ shelters, homes, hostels, back in the day.

Could have been another juvenile detention centre. They were called alternatively boys’ shelters, homes, hostels, back in the day.

Or maybe a hostel for older boys, (previously in a children's home/orphanage), transitioning into employment.
Browse Categories - H - Find & Connect - Victoria
Hostel
The term 'Hostel' refers to a type of institution for young people. Most commonly, hostels catered for 'older' children and young people from around the age of 15. Often young people came to a hostel after leaving a children's home or reformatory. Hostels were designed to assist former residents of orphanages and children's homes with the transition to paid employment and independent living. Educational Hostels were another category, providing accommodation and possibly some educational support for young people, in a location nearby to school. Educational hostels are usually located in rural areas.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-trial-will-not-go-ahead-20190215-p50y4v.html

In the interview, the then-teenager confessed to having abducted and murdered the toddler and made further admissions during a "walk through" interview with police the following month.

The confession was excluded on the basis of unfairness, with Justice Hulme noting there was no adult present, the accused was vulnerable at the time, and the accused was of below average intelligence with a "very disturbed upbringing".

Charges dropped!!

Cheryl hasn't been seen since 1970, now the man accused of killing her has had his charges dropped

A murder charge against a man accused of killing toddler Cheryl Grimmer, who went missing almost 50 years ago, has been dropped.
The man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, succeeded in having a key piece of evidence against him ruled inadmissible ahead of his trial in the NSW Supreme Court.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-trial-will-not-go-ahead-20190215-p50y4v.html

In the interview, the then-teenager confessed to having abducted and murdered the toddler and made further admissions during a "walk through" interview with police the following month.

The confession was excluded on the basis of unfairness, with Justice Hulme noting there was no adult present, the accused was vulnerable at the time, and the accused was of below average intelligence with a "very disturbed upbringing".
I’m shocked but Justice Hulme knows his stuff. I feel for Cheryl’s brothers, especially Ricki, at this time.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s a difficult thought to think someone may have gotten away with murder.
I assume someone has gotten away with murder, it is just a question of who.

I feel for the family too. The low the family must be feeling now is too hard to imagine if you haven't experienced it.

Would like to hear from Sainter1au

Wonder if there's more info out there about the suspect that could shed light on this.

Awful, horrible story.

Also just read about the Wanda beach murders for first time. Awful.

Poor Ricki.

‘"Am I angry? I'm past that. Do I want revenge? You betcha," Ricki Grimmer told media today.

"Police tell you 200 per cent they've got the right person sitting behind bars. He's going to walk out.

"You let a three-year-old's murderer go free - twice.

"He walked in and gives you a full confession and you let him walk away? The laws were different back then - he'd probably have been tried and convicted - now he hides behind a technicality.

"I don't know how this can happen. Someone's got to be accountable for this."’
'I don't know how this can happen'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa