Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

In the BBC podcast they retraced the walk from the showers to the beach where her mother was and said it was only about 30 seconds away. Rikki brought her to to the showers immediately and from what I recall (I've been listening to it over the last few weeks so it was a while ago and without listening to it all again I'm not 100% sure), while her mother was initially calm, the alarm was raised quicker than that. I might have to whizz through some of the earlier episodes again to verify that, unless someone else can confirm?

Last edited by a moderator:
also it's said that he burned her swimming costume. I would regard that a strange thing to do whilst leaving her body exposed to the elements.
He told police in he was going to keep the swimsuit (im assuming as a trophy) but burned the swimsuit in case his mother found it. There is an episode on ATC podcast where they interview one of the Dectectives - Frank Sanvitale. This episode he talks people through the confession and how his parts line up with other witnesses.

That's the initials of his original name. I know him by another.
I have no idea how the law works but it's now past the 5yrs that the suppression order was for. I wonder if you're still around and if there's any further info you could provide to the suspects identity? I'm curious to find more information on his past, has he had previous crimes, what's he been doing up till now.. I wish his identity would be revealed, perhaps having his name and face out there would bring forward new evidence against him.

I have no idea how the law works but it's now past the 5yrs that the suppression order was for. I wonder if you're still around and if there's any further info you could provide to the suspects identity? I'm curious to find more information on his past, has he had previous crimes, what's he been doing up till now.. I wish his identity would be revealed, perhaps having his name and face out there would bring forward new evidence against him.
The suppression orders are permanent in this case. The charge has not proceeded as it was based on evidence was not admissable. The original suppression orders were in place because the man accused was a minor at the time. It is only if they choose to make their name public that we will find it out, which is very unlikely IMO.

A potential new eyewitness has told the BBC he saw a teenage boy carrying away a small child from an Australian beach on the day a three-year-old vanished.

Police believe Cheryl Grimmer was abducted but the 53-year-old mystery has never been solved. Her family had recently migrated to Fairy Meadow in New South Wales from the UK.

The witness was seven in 1970 but said the moment was "etched in my mind".

Police have now contacted the man, the BBC understands.

In a new episode of the BBC's true crime podcast Fairy Meadow, the potential new witness gave a detailed description of seeing an adolescent male leaving the female changing rooms at the beach on the outskirts of Wollongong, about 50 miles (80km) south of Sydney.

The BBC contacted him after a friend who listened to the Fairy Meadow podcast emailed with details of his story, which she said he had recounted for several years.

A retired detective who reinvestigated the case in 2016 has now spoken to the man and believes his testimony is "compelling".

Long article -- more at link.

Another new article regarding the new witness…

He added that he and his family did not then speak English because they had only recently arrived in Australia after emigrating from eastern Europe.

'It wasn't even on my radar that it was such an important thing that I saw,' he said.

1700496032173.png
''Released On: 20 Nov 2023
Available for over a year
Jon Kay updates his investigation into the disappearance of 3 year old Cheryl Grimmer from an Australian beach in 1970. Cheryl's family are determined to get her case back into court.''

rbbm
1700495921142.png
Fairy Meadow beach today - the open-air ladies' changing rooms, where Cheryl was last seen, are closest to the camera
''The possible eyewitness, who asked to keep his identity private, said: "When I glanced back at the toilet block, the profile of the guy was sort of full-stride with this baby in his arm, just kind of screaming and yelling at his hip, like low on his hip."
He said the teenage boy had medium-dark hair, short back and sides and was of average build.
The witness said he believes he can pinpoint this memory to the afternoon of 12 January 1970 because he recalls that the wind suddenly strengthened and changed direction, causing people to leave the beach in panic.
A rare "southerly buster" is known to have blown through Fairy Meadow in the moments before Cheryl Grimmer vanished.''

cheryl-grimmer.jpg

A new eyewitness told the BBC that they saw an adolescent male leaving the public lavatory with a toddler on the same day Cheryl went missing.

The case has left investigators stumped for years and BBC journalist Jon Kay started the Fairy Meadows podcast in hopes of uncovering answers for Cheryl's heartbroken family.

While a lot of those possible leads have unfortunately not eventuated, one email Jon found in his inbox changed everything.

"I got an email from a lady who works in education in NSW and she said 'Jon, there is a guy I've known for years and he's convinced he saw something there that afternoon, but he never told the authorities at the time,'" Jon told Today Extra.

"He said, 'Yes, I remember seeing a teenage boy coming out of the female changerooms carrying a small child who was kicking and shrieking and yelling," he said.

"I asked him why he didn't tell police at the time and he said, 'I was only a child myself, just seven-years-old and I had just arrived from Eastern Europe and we didn't buy a paper or have TV or radio, so we didn't know a child was missing."'

But Jon said the man is confident he can pinpoint that memory to January 12, 1970 because there was a large southerly blowing and he remembered the wind causing chaos and panic for beachgoers with sand blowing everywhere on the day.

"His family had to leave the beach just like the Grimmer family did, so he is sure what he saw now is relevant," Jon said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back