GUILTY Australia - Daniel Morcombe, 13, Woombye, QLD, 7 Dec 2003 - #2

For those of you not following the Kyle Coleman case on WS (he's a missing 17 year old from Mt Isa) - I just felt to pass on the fact that Denise Morcombe has gone and visited Kyle's mother to offer her some support. She and her husband have also helped lots of other people:

Denise Morcombe says she and her husband have met with several families whose children have gone missing, including the Wallman family in Mackay, the Antonio family in Bowen, and the McCanns in England.
"We just sort of relate to each other because we know exactly how we feel," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/05/02/3996644.htm
What wonderful people they are!!!:loveyou:

Thank you TGY for this update. Here is a link for further info:-

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...y-being-revealed/story-fnii5v6w-1226905141811
Bruce Morcombe calls for jurors to hear past crimes of defendants, after his son Daniel’s killer, Brett Peter Cowan, was tried without his criminal history being revealed

..."Mr Morcombe is the latest to voice calls for Queensland to follow the lead of the UK, where jurors have been told of past crimes for a decade.
Chief Justice Paul de Jersey last year proposed jurors be provided relevant criminal histories of defendants"...

I am behind this 100%. I said it earlier in the thread, that should be part of your sentence when you commit sexual assault or violent acts. Should you be on trial again for crimes against another person, your prior history will be known to the jury. If that is what gets the next conviction over the line, tough cookies, shouldn't have been a bad boy first time around.

Morcombes swamped with 10,000 emails and cries for help

TROUBLED, lost and grieving people across Australia are turning to Bruce and Denise Morcombe for advice.

And the Morcombes are answering the call, personally meeting some of those desperate for help.
Last night the couple talked to Australian soldiers who are battling to cope with the effects of being in a war zone or a disaster area.

A week earlier, Denise went to Mount Isa to lend an ear to the family of missing teenager Kyle Coleman.

Earlier in the month they were in Brisbane to be with a friend of brutally murdered French student Sophie Collombet.

Luke Batty's mother, Rosie, has sought the Morcombes' advice on how to set up a foundation to honour the memory of her son, who was killed by his father with a cricket bat in February.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/help-calls-in-10000-emails/2249568/

Prison photo reveals Daniel’s killer, Brett Peter Cowan, living off fat of the land in prison

July 22, 2014 12:00AM

TRUE evil is behind bars, but healthy and putting on weight.

Images of Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe’s killer Brett Peter Cowan have been revealed for the first time since before he was jailed in March for his horrendous crime.

The killer and serial child abuser, previously seen as a gaunt figure, appears to have stacked on weight behind bars and presents a much fuller face as revealed by a photo obtained by Channel 7 last night.

Cowan is kept in solitary confinement for his own protection in the Wolston Correctional Centre, where he is jeered and heckled every time he is moved around.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-prison/story-fnihsrf2-1226996702016?login=1

Bruce and Denise want Cowan's 1993 interview with Darwin police released to the public. They believe it will effect his chances of an appeal (good) and show the inadequacies and flaws in the way he was sentenced back in 1994 for his second molestation conviction.

I fully support their request. I believe we have a right to access the interview, it's freedom of information etc. The US releases interviews with criminals all the time, and so should we. Their right to privacy is wavered when they commit such horrible acts. There's also the educational aspect, it will be interesting to see how he was interviewed and exactly what he said. I'm quite keen to see it myself.

Unfortunately, NT Government are being a pain and will not release the interview on the basis of Cowan's "right to privacy". Come on, who gives a toss about his privacy? Why are we protecting a child killer?

Morcombes appalled NT won't release Cowan police interview
Kay McGrath 7News Brisbane July 22, 2014, 6:00 pm

Four months after their son's killer was jailed for life, Bruce and Denise Morcombe continue to build Daniel's legacy.

But they're appalled that the Northern territory Government is refusing to release a police video interview with Brett Peter Cowan that may help keep him behind bars indefinitely.

Justice finally caught up with Cowan, serving a life sentence for the murder of 13 year old Daniel, but not all the details of his sordid past have been revealed.

A damning police interview with Cowan following his brutal attack on a six-year-old Northern Territory boy in 1993 is being kept secret.

"That intimate detail and certainly that vision has never been seen," Bruce exclusively told 7News.

<modsnip>

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/24521193/morcombes-appalled-nt-wont-release-cowan-police-interview/

The Morcombes are changing Australia for the better.

Hinch push for Qld pedophile register

July 28, 2014

BROADCASTER Derryn Hinch is hoping to convince Queensland to become the first state to adopt his push for a US-style public sex offender register.

HINCH is meeting with Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie on Tuesday morning to discuss his proposal to name and shame sex offenders.

Bruce and Denise Morcombe, whose 13-year-old son Daniel was murdered in 2003 by serial pedophile and child rapist Brett Cowan, support a sex offender register.

Hinch, who has served jail time for publicly naming sex offenders, said he didn't believe sex offenders could be rehabilitated and secrecy was their biggest weapon when they were released from jail.

"They're underground now," he said.

"Murderers don't get their names suppressed when they get out of jail."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ex-pest-register/story-fn3dxiwe-1227003797601

Derryn raised a very good point, why should the creeps of society have their names suppressed when no other criminal does. It almost seems as though they're a protected species.

ABC Radio - Conversations with Richard Fidler

6 August, 2014

Bruce and Denise Morcombe

Bruce and Denise Morcombe tell the story of their long road to finding out what happened to their son.

Where is Daniel? is co-written with Lindsay Simpson, and published by Pan Macmillan.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/08/06/4061946.htm?site=conversations

The recording of the conversation with Bruce and Denise is available on above link.

Children still being left alone at bus stops despite Daniel Morcombe murder

August 09, 2014

COMPLAINTS about children left at bus stops are escalating a decade after Daniel Morcombe&#8217;s abduction and murder forced a policy overhaul.

Despite a &#8220;No Child Left Behind&#8217;&#8217; mandate, almost 2000 complaints have been received across southeast Queensland since 2012 about failure to pick up the most vulnerable passengers.

In a spike Daniel&#8217;s father Bruce described as &#8220;staggering&#8217;&#8217;, 538 grievances were lodged in the first six months of 2014.

The statistics, obtained from TransLink by The Courier-Mail, almost matched annual figures from 2010 and 2011.

The Greater Brisbane zone attracted the greatest number of complaints.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...-morcombe-murder/story-fnihsrf2-1227018507463

Some extremely alarming news coming out of Canada in the last week, the Supreme Court of Canada has upheld a decision to set aside the verdict of a man convicted of murdering his 2 children after confessing in a "Mr Big" sting which has eerie similarities to this case.

Normally the judgment of an international court wouldn't be particularly relevant but as the Mr Big technique was pioneered in Canada and Canadian case law has been extensively relied upon during Australian appeals in the past, it's worrying to say the least.

The Canadian judgment - http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/14301/index.do?r=AAAAAQALbmVsc29uIGhhcnQAAAAAAQ

The Mr Big concept has been unsuccessfully challenged before in the High Court of Australia (as it has previously in the SCC) but it's important to note that it was a majority decision, with Kirby dissenting and this is many years before this previous judgment which explicitly states that the previous case law was inadequate -

I agree with the respondent and amicus curiae. In my view, the law as it stands today provides insufficient protection to accused persons who confess during Mr. Big operations

The SCC judgment held that any confessions procured during a sting of this nature are presumptively inadmissible and this can only be overcome where it can be demonstrated that the probative value outweighs any prejudicial effect.

Additionally, the court held that admissions garnered through either implied or actual violence were not admissible under any circumstances -

A confession derived from physical violence or threats of violence against an accused will not be admissible &#8212; no matter how reliable &#8212; because this, quite simply, is something the community will not tolerate

The court did not delve into the violence aspect in any depth because the first ground was sufficient to uphold the earlier decision but it goes without saying that it could be significant as it was intimated to Cowan on numerous occasions that "bad things happen to people who betray the gang" (paraphrased).

Obviously an Australian court is not bound by this recent decision but based on previous appeals, it appears likely that they will lean heavily on it, if not follow it absolutely.

The parallels are remarkable, essentially the accused in both cases was an itinerant of very limited financial means who had a limited social network. Both made some confessions that were seemingly inconsistent with the known facts and when confronted by gang members about their involvement, both denied that they murdered their victims initially and confessed only when the ante was upped.

The SCC went on to specifically state that the exploitation of vulnerabilities, such as the financial state of the person being targeted, must also be taken into consideration.

The appeal may well fail in the QCA as they do not have jurisdiction to override HCA judgments (specifically Tofilau v The Queen [2007] HCA 39)but if/when it goes to the HCA, and that would seem likely, it has the unfortunate possibility to be a different story. This is a man that I doubt anyone in Australia ever wants walking the streets again but the Canadian judgment literally could not have come at a worse time :(

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/vic...-child-killer-brett-cowan-20140804-zzzsr.html

Some extremely alarming news coming out of Canada in the last week, the Supreme Court of Canada has upheld a decision to set aside the verdict of a man convicted of murdering his 2 children after confessing in a "Mr Big" sting which has eerie similarities to this case.

Normally the judgment of an international court wouldn't be particularly relevant but as the Mr Big technique was pioneered in Canada and Canadian case law has been extensively relied upon during Australian appeals in the past, it's worrying to say the least.

The Canadian judgment - http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/14301/index.do?r=AAAAAQALbmVsc29uIGhhcnQAAAAAAQ

The Mr Big concept has been unsuccessfully challenged before in the High Court of Australia (as it has previously in the SCC) but it's important to note that it was a majority decision, with Kirby dissenting and this is many years before this previous judgment which explicitly states that the previous case law was inadequate -

I agree with the respondent and amicus curiae. In my view, the law as it stands today provides insufficient protection to accused persons who confess during Mr. Big operations

The SCC judgment held that any confessions procured during a sting of this nature are presumptively inadmissible and this can only be overcome where it can be demonstrated that the probative value outweighs any prejudicial effect.

Additionally, the court held that admissions garnered through either implied or actual violence were not admissible under any circumstances -

A confession derived from physical violence or threats of violence against an accused will not be admissible — no matter how reliable — because this, quite simply, is something the community will not tolerate

The court did not delve into the violence aspect in any depth because the first ground was sufficient to uphold the earlier decision but it goes without saying that it could be significant as it was intimated to Cowan on numerous occasions that "bad things happen to people who betray the gang" (paraphrased).

Obviously an Australian court is not bound by this recent decision but based on previous appeals, it appears likely that they will lean heavily on it, if not follow it absolutely.

The parallels are remarkable, essentially the accused in both cases was an itinerant of very limited financial means who had a limited social network. Both made some confessions that were seemingly inconsistent with the known facts and when confronted by gang members about their involvement, both denied that they murdered their victims initially and confessed only when the ante was upped.

The SCC went on to specifically state that the exploitation of vulnerabilities, such as the financial state of the person being targeted, must also be taken into consideration.

The appeal may well fail in the QCA as they do not have jurisdiction to override HCA judgments (specifically Tofilau v The Queen [2007] HCA 39)but if/when it goes to the HCA, and that would seem likely, it has the unfortunate possibility to be a different story. This is a man that I doubt anyone in Australia ever wants walking the streets again but the Canadian judgment literally could not have come at a worse time :(

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/vic...-child-killer-brett-cowan-20140804-zzzsr.html

Thank you JCB, this is indeed alarming news.

Wasn't this also what Cowan's lodge for appeal was about, that the tape should not have been played to the jury as he later recanted his confession?

I'm wondering too, how does this affect confessions made while in prison to other prisoners, which is the case in the Robert Xie trial? Can prisoners be trusted? Is there an incentive for them too, like earlier release date?

Wasn't DM's remains found because of Cowan's confession, how else would he know unless he was there? How significant are the differences in the evidence versus the confession? These criminals are becoming more cunning, sometimes it has to be matched by the police imo, of course, there is always a but ......

In the case of Hart in Canada, the court believes he had an incentive to confess whether or not he was guilty? It is troubling if they are coerced to confess so they can continue in the 'gang'. They likened it to entrapment. Was this the case with BC? :thinking:

I'm hopeful that it will have no adverse implications for Australian law. There are some key differences between Canadian and Australian law, one important example being that the defence of entrapment is not available to those accused of a crime in Australia and this could potentially come into play here.

Poor Daniel's remains were found as a result of BC's confession, but the defence argued that he was told the location by a third party and on the surface of it, it would seem that the argument has some merit given that nobody saw BC's car, the many reports of a blue sedan similar to DJ who may well have been in the area at the time and the abduction matches his MO, BC claimed to have thrown Daniel's shoes into a creek but were found in another location, he also took investigators to the wrong location at least once, if not twice if memory serves me correctly.

BC is a filthy piece of slime who is probably guilty of Daniel's murder but the court, if it comes to it, will have to decide whether BC's trial was prejudiced as a result of a confession elicited under promises of financial gain and threats if he did not comply and these inconsistencies will be considered in coming to a decision. For the record I don't want DJ walking the streets any more than I do BC!

Anyway the legal argument that will undoubtedly ensue goes far beyond my level of expertise so anything I say is nothing more than wild speculation, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

Daniel Morcombe's killer Brett Peter Cowan set to appeal murder conviction

Seven months since a jury found Brett Peter Cowan guilty of Daniel Morcombe's murder, 9NEWS can reveal his appeal against that conviction will be heard at the end of next month.

Cowan's legal team is relying on a Canadian precedent in their bid to have the murder conviction quashed.

9NEWS can reveal Cowan's appeal will be heard on November 26 and 27, but Daniel Morcombe's parents are not fazed by the prospect.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-appeal-murder-conviction#lOOOGRftxvg8dMbW.99

Daniel Morcombe&#8217;s killer Brett Peter Cowan will appeal his murder conviction in a hearing next month.
However, the attorney general will also appeal Cowan&#8217;s sentence at that time, arguing that 20 years non-parole is &#8216;manifestly inadequate&#8217; for Cowan&#8217;s crime, which could see the 45-year-old&#8217;s prison time extended.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...orney-general-sentence-extended-instead.html#

Let's hope this monster gets even more jail time he should never be let out. It is disgusting Daniel's parents are going to be dragged into court again.

Appologies i didnt check to see if this had already been posted.

Can i ask someone with better legal knowledge a question?

If it is determined that the video should never have been shown, does this make everything found from the confession inadmissable? They found Daniels remains and clothing from the confession and BC leading them there. Would all of that be basically put in the scrap heap?

Thanks in advance for any response. This was the case that bought me to Websleuths and i have followed it so closely and would hate for this scum to get away with murder.

It is disgusting Daniel's parents are going to be dragged into court again.

No witnesses are required to reappear during the appeal. If a retrial is ordered then yes, the whole circus starts again but it's my opinion that it is very unlikely - I'd imagine that either the appeal will be dismissed or a verdict of acquittal substituted.

Appologies i didnt check to see if this had already been posted.

Can i ask someone with better legal knowledge a question?

If it is determined that the video should never have been shown, does this make everything found from the confession inadmissable? They found Daniels remains and clothing from the confession and BC leading them there. Would all of that be basically put in the scrap heap?

Thanks in advance for any response. This was the case that bought me to Websleuths and i have followed it so closely and would hate for this scum to get away with murder.

It's not the case that all evidence obtained as a result of an unlawful or improper investigation is automatically excluded.

Without giving a long winded lecture, the court needs to consider a number of factors when deciding on whether the evidence will remain admissible. Things like, how important the evidence is to the case, whether police knowingly acted improperly, whether it is in the public interest to allow the evidence and so on.

If the Cowan confession is thrown out, it may well be the case that the probative value of the evidence obtained from the confession is of such value that the court will rule it to be admissible anyway. The problem is that it is a weak case if Cowan's confession is to be excluded, yes it led to the discovery of Daniel's remains but witness accounts are somewhat inconsistent with Cowan's version of events and the defence put forward an eminently plausible scenario as to how Cowan came to know of Daniel's whereabouts. With the confession thrown out, it really doesn't look promising.

Cowan will have to stew for a bit longer anyway, there is already case law in Australia which permits the use of Mr Big stings and the QCA doesn't have jurisdiction to overrule this. It's almost certain that an appeal will have to be made to the HCA which will likely take a couple of years to be heard, if indeed it is to be heard at all.

No witnesses are required to reappear during the appeal. If a retrial is ordered then yes, the whole circus starts again but it's my opinion that it is very unlikely - I'd imagine that either the appeal will be dismissed or a verdict of acquittal substituted.

It's not the case that all evidence obtained as a result of an unlawful or improper investigation is automatically excluded.

Without giving a long winded lecture, the court needs to consider a number of factors when deciding on whether the evidence will remain admissible. Things like, how important the evidence is to the case, whether police knowingly acted improperly, whether it is in the public interest to allow the evidence and so on.

If the Cowan confession is thrown out, it may well be the case that the probative value of the evidence obtained from the confession is of such value that the court will rule it to be admissible anyway. The problem is that it is a weak case if Cowan's confession is to be excluded, yes it led to the discovery of Daniel's remains but witness accounts are somewhat inconsistent with Cowan's version of events and the defence put forward an eminently plausible scenario as to how Cowan came to know of Daniel's whereabouts. With the confession thrown out, it really doesn't look promising.

Cowan will have to stew for a bit longer anyway, there is already case law in Australia which permits the use of Mr Big stings and the QCA doesn't have jurisdiction to overrule this. It's almost certain that an appeal will have to be made to the HCA which will likely take a couple of years to be heard, if indeed it is to be heard at all.

JCB what a great answer and explanation to my question!

Many thanks to you!! [emoji106]

Bruce and Denise Morcombe lead first Walk for Daniel since his killer was convicted

October 31, 2014

WITH a lightness of step, Bruce and Denise Morcombe have today led the annual Walk for Daniel — the first since their son’s killer was jailed.

One thousand people in red joined the inspirational couple on the Sunshine Coast, and thousands more across the nation are hosting similar events, including more than 1500 schools.

It comes a day after their son’s killer, Brett Cowan, was set a date for his appeal against his 20-year sentence.

However the Morcombes said they had already prepared themselves for that possibility and would not let it affect them.

“We’re even prepared that it might end up in the a High Court,” said Bruce.

“We have faith in the legal system.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...er-was-convicted/story-fnii5v6w-1227108129378

This makes me feel happy.

Daniel Morcombe&#8217;s killer Brett Peter Cowan&#8217;s lonely prison life revealed
&#8220;I hope you have a life of loneliness, unloved for your entire life,&#8221; Denise Morcombe said in her victim impact statement.
Eight months in Wolston Correctional Centre and Cowan is on track to live the lonely existence wished upon him.
He now spends most of his time confined to his prison cell where nobody visits him, the Courier Mail reports.
Cowan was visited by his parents after his conviction in March this year, but has since then had no other visitors.
He eats meals in his cell and is only allowed out for brief periods.
He&#8217;s considered too much of a target to other prisoners to take a prison job, and is scared to leave his cell.
http://www.news.com.au/national/dan...on-life-revealed/story-fncynjr2-1227119099390

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back