Australia - Eight children killed in mass stabbing, Cairns, Qld, 19 Dec 2014 *Arrest*

Maybe the brother who found them was taken to hospital too and that's the second adult?

Neighbours heard shouting and screaming coming from Murray St house where Manoora tragedy occurred

A NEIGHBOUR of the Murray St house has described hearing shouting and screaming coming from the residence around 10am.

The woman, who did not want to be named, said she was unsure who the voices belonged to, but did not contact police.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/c...tragedy-occurred/story-fnpqrsxl-1227162198636

Yeah I'm not jumping on the 'Mum did it" bus until there's word from cops/msm that she's a suspect in any way. And they've said she isn't one.

With what we know, there's a poor woman just lost ---8--- kids in one fell swoop. Her entire brood. Imagine that. I cannot.

Wth, Australia.

Who was this guy wandering the front yard, as reported?

Update from 1 hour ago:

Two adults have been taken to hospital. One is a 34-year-old woman — whom police confirmed to be the mother of seven of the dead children — and who was being treated for stab wounds to the chest and neck.

Neighbours have described her as “proud” and “very protective” of her brood, adding “she loved her children dearly”.

Police have stated they are not looking for anybody else in relation to the deaths and have yet to lay charges.

The woman is “assisting police with their inquiries” and “not in custody”, police said.

It is not clear whether the second person taken to hospital is the child’s stepfather, who lived at the address.

Late this afternoon, at a second media briefing, Det Inspector Asnicar said anyone who had contact with the family over the last two or three days was someone police wanted to speak with.

That included the 20-year-old brother who arrived at the house this morning and a man seen pacing around the property after police were called.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...uburb-of-manoora/story-fnj4alav-1227161862831

FB group for kids:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1569277739973742/

Neighbour Bessie Mareko did not know those involved but said she saw a woman and a number of children cleaning up their home and putting unwanted items on the street at 2:00am.

"I'm really shocked, I just saw her this morning on the veranda with her kids," she said.

----

Larry Woosup is a relative of those who died and said he was waiting for news. He said the adults who lived in the house were his niece and nephew.

"I just heard about it, my family just rang because they're worried about our sister," he told the ABC.

"Some of them are my sister's kids. I just got a phone call from my son's mother from down Mackay because they had seen the news flash down there.

"It's the end of the year and it's a family thing, Christmas and New Year, and you get this sort of thing happening.

"This is a close neighbourhood this Murray Street, it's sort of Indigenous mob, [they] hang out together, especially my nephew you know?

"I'm desperate like everyone else to hear [what happened]."

--------

Cairns MP Gavin KIng on ABC News 24: "It really is impossible I think for us mere mortals to comprehend what those police and other emergency services, the paramedics and other workers are confronting as we speak."

----

Cairns Post reporter Scott Forbes: "It's a very old suburb in Cairns and there's a lot of long-term locals in this area, so a lot of the people I've been speaking to have lived here for 37, 38, 39 years.

"The family themselves [have] been here briefly but were well regarded in the area.

"Neighbours had all said they were a very respectful family, the kids were well behaved and whatever interactions that they had with the family were all very amicable."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-19/cairns-stabbing-leaves-8-children-dead-live-blog/5979544

Oh god this is just heartbreaking. I wonder if mum had a partner?

just wondering if it was a possible murder suicide attempt because of the lifeline and beyond blue links at the bottom of the news items?

1.55pm: Up to eight young children are believed to have been stabbed to death by a woman in suburban Cairns.

Police in the far north Queensland city are at the scene of the house in Manoora, close to the city centre.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...dead-at-property/story-e6frg6nf-1227161846144

A police source has told The Australian the woman has stabbed the children and then herself in a suicide attempt, leaving her unconscious and in hospital.

Queensland Police Media would not confirm the number of children dead. The Australian has been told eight children have died, but there are reports it is seven.

Detectives are describing the scene as horrific, like something out of a horror movie. They are establishing a major incident room in the Cairns police headquarters. Officers are swarming the scene.

I hope it wasn't a family member, that kind of gross violence shouldn't have the extra layer of mass betrayal on top of it :( What a horror.

Those poor babies, what an awful way to die :( Rest peacefully little ones.

1.55pm: Up to eight young children are believed to have been stabbed to death by a woman in suburban Cairns.

Police in the far north Queensland city are at the scene of the house in Manoora, close to the city centre.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...dead-at-property/story-e6frg6nf-1227161846144

A police source has told The Australian the woman has stabbed the children and then herself in a suicide attempt, leaving her unconscious and in hospital.

Queensland Police Media would not confirm the number of children dead. The Australian has been told eight children have died, but there are reports it is seven.

Detectives are describing the scene as horrific, like something out of a horror movie. They are establishing a major incident room in the Cairns police headquarters. Officers are swarming the scene.

Thanks for this, yep .. just watched the latest news reports and this does seem to be the case sadly. Unbelievable.

A friend of one of the children found dead has laid flowers near the house where the bodies were found.

"I saw the ambulance and police - me and my friend were going to the shop and we decided to come and have a look where the police were," the girl who identified herself as Jade told ABC Far North.

"The tapes were being put up and then my mum rang me and said one of my friends had passed away.

"I just cried, stayed here for a while... it's very shocking.

"I schooled with one of the girls, a 14-year-old girl, and I stayed over at her house all the time, I met the family... They're a nice, happy family, I can't believe this has happened."

-----

Police have asked people to refrain from speculating on aspects of the deaths to "allow police to do their job". However, Federal MP Warren Entsch said the community is keen to find out what has happened.

"I've heard speculation that there's suggestions of all sorts of sinister motives but I suspect, and it appears that, this is just a tragic personal event and we need to look at it in that context and find out how on earth it occurred and how we can learn from this and hopefully avoid this type of tragedy in the future," Mr Entsch told 7.30's Sabra Lane.

===

"There were some very confronting and heartbreaking scenes throughout the day of relatives arriving at the house and just learning this tragic news.

"People who also don't know the family personally have been bringing floral tributes, a candle light vigil has already been organised, [and] experienced police officers and paramedics have been visibly shaken up by these events which have left many people so sad, particularly because this is so close to Christmas."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-19/cairns-stabbing-leaves-8-children-dead-live-blog/5979544

....I'm not quite sure how to take the phrase "just a tragic personal event" -- on several levels. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back