Found Deceased Australia - Gary Tweddle, 23, Blue Mountains NSW, 16 July 2013 - #3

Gary was not drinking much, he was the last to leave the restaurant but the taxi driver said he was seriously wasted. Did he have his own 'stash' and needed more for the party to continue?

Mystery surrounded the night the Oracle sales representative disappeared but the arrest of an alleged drug dealer partly explains what happened that night.

Police arrested Christopher Thomas Pambos, of Earlwood, two weeks after Tweddle vanished.

Mr Pambos calls himself an online entrepreneur who runs a website called Simple Marketing Plan. ''SimpleMarketingPlan.com is the world's leading website and newsletter for the online entrepreneur,'' his Facebook page says.

Tweddle went to Silk's Brasserie in Leura where he enjoyed a dinner with colleagues. Owner-manager Stewart Robinson said he was polite and one of the quieter members of the group. But he remembered what Tweddle looked like because he thought his behaviour was strange for someone who had not been seen to be drinking a lot.

''We noticed at that stage [when the group was leaving] that the man who went missing was a little unsteady on his feet,'' Mr Robinson says. ''It was an unremarkable night. Nobody had drunk that much. They were in a celebratory mood.''

Tweddle was one of the last people to leave the restaurant.

His colleagues helped him get into the passenger seat of a Leura-Katoomba Radio Cabs taxi.

The taxi driver, who did not wish to be named, says he remembered well the 10-minute trip to the hotel. ''He was wasted, seriously wasted,'' the driver said. The driver dropped the group off and they continued to drink in one of the rooms of the resort before they decided to take their night a step further. Security footage captures Tweddle running out of the Fairmont without his jacket or glasses. It is believed he wanted to meet Mr Pambos, who he had met on previous occasions in Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cocaine-arrest-sheds-light-on-tweddles-fatal-end-20130928-2ul59.html

I find it hard to believe Gary left the Hotel no Jacket Mid July in the Blue Mountains, however drunk he was it was COLD, to go to Penrith to get drugs. IMO Pambos was coming to him. I don't believe his statements.

I also believe his work mate knew full well what was happening.

I agree with you sleep. 5 bags? He was buying for others there.
Earlwood to Katoomba is 1.29 hours of easy expressway driving unless Pambos was already closer or had a mule closer around Penrith.
No jacket? He was going to deal outside the hotel.

A compass only shows direction - not the cliff face in between unless something made Gary fearful and run into the bush to hide.

A compass only shows direction - not the cliff face in between unless something made Gary fearful and run into the bush to hide.

There are multiple faults with using a compass, esp one by an app. They rarely take into account the valleys here in the mts. When I've used some GPS tracking apps whilst walking near Mt Solitary, they've taken me to a sheer cliff face and told me my destination is right in front of me.... oh sure, I'll just scale this cliff face to get home.
I've had one app tell me the fastest way to get from a cliff top in Katoomba through to one in Leura was to go across the valley. Obviously if Gary's did this, it would explain a lot... I presume the 'lights on the hill' were Katoomba golf club because that would look most like a hotel from that point. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'd be interested whether the compass app showed the topographical features at all. They're not perfect and a lot of the area up here is not finely detailed. Some of it isn't mapped at all.

I still think that Gary got confused between the two golf courses and this is why he ended up down there. He was trying to get back to the hotel whilst probably stoned or high and meets the edge of the cliff.
Of course he couldn't cry out with a punctured lung. :(

I totally agree with the oddness of going to Penrith station. Either Gary was totally out of it and had no concept of where that was, or perhaps he had feelings of invincibility due to drugs and thought he could jog there, or the drug dealer is lying about coming up the mts.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why a drug dealer would drive from Sydney to Leura though on that date. The chances of being stopped by police for an RBT would be huge. I got two in one day before NY here. So the risk was large.

There are multiple faults with using a compass, esp one by an app. They rarely take into account the valleys here in the mts. When I've used some GPS tracking apps whilst walking near Mt Solitary, they've taken me to a sheer cliff face and told me my destination is right in front of me.... oh sure, I'll just scale this cliff face to get home.
I've had one app tell me the fastest way to get from a cliff top in Katoomba through to one in Leura was to go across the valley. Obviously if Gary's did this, it would explain a lot... I presume the 'lights on the hill' were Katoomba golf club because that would look most like a hotel from that point. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'd be interested whether the compass app showed the topographical features at all. They're not perfect and a lot of the area up here is not finely detailed. Some of it isn't mapped at all.

I still think that Gary got confused between the two golf courses and this is why he ended up down there. He was trying to get back to the hotel whilst probably stoned or high and meets the edge of the cliff.
Of course he couldn't cry out with a punctured lung. :(

I totally agree with the oddness of going to Penrith station. Either Gary was totally out of it and had no concept of where that was, or perhaps he had feelings of invincibility due to drugs and thought he could jog there, or the drug dealer is lying about coming up the mts.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why a drug dealer would drive from Sydney to Leura though on that date. The chances of being stopped by police for an RBT would be huge. I got two in one day before NY here. So the risk was large.

My bold...
Agreed - I've had a few bad directions given from a Compass App in the area recently too :)
A couple of days after Gary disappeared I walked to the Lookout point at Sublime (just a few hundred metres away as the crow flies from where Gary was found) and took a photograph across the Valley of the lights on the Hill at Katoomba. It was getting on dark and it was overcast, and I could see the yellow glow of the township on the hill. In a darker night, it is difficult to distinguish the blackness from the density of the trees or from a sheer cliff and a gaping valley.

I am wondering then, which way then did he take so that he entered the area he fell from?

Found the photo I was looking for - taken from Sublime point near lookout at 6pm (there was a storm coming in) - looking over towards the lights of Katoomba.
In the pic you can see the valley - at night its very hard to see.

SUBLIME  POINT LOOKOUT 6PM 2.jpg

Gary would have been walking a bit further (couple of hundred metres) around to the right of where the photo was taken.

An overview from David Paulides on the Gary Tweddle Story

David Paulides – Australia Part 2 – Gary Tweddle - https://youtu.be/1niPqnS8cyw

FigTree, is that you in the video- the guy with the white moustache?

David Paulides seems to be making the claim that something other than the official explanation has taken place to Gary Tweddle. Forgive me, for i do not know of Paulides' theories, though given that he is interested in missing persons in national parks, and given that he appeared at the NEXUS conference, which deals with fringe and esoteric theories, is Paulides implying that something like the yetti is responsible for these disappearances? I am not being jocular, i am asking a serious question.

David Paulides seems to be making the claim that something other than the official explanation has taken place to Gary Tweddle. Forgive me, for i do not know of Paulides' theories, though given that he is interested in missing persons in national parks, and given that he appeared at the NEXUS conference, which deals with fringe and esoteric theories, is Paulides implying that something like the yetti is responsible for these disappearances? I am not being jocular, i am asking a serious question.

While you're waiting for a reply from FT, ScottK, read this link, particularly 'Missing 411':

http://www.canammissing.com/page/page/8396197.htm

Just to clarify - No thats not me :)

There is some information regarding David Paulides on Wiki - but it needs updating as he has a new book out and a documentary for release in the near future.
I included him in this thread because of his focus on Garys case - though for DP discussion purposes there is also a thread here on WS:

Missing 411/ People Vanishing in National Parks
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ng-in-National-Parks&highlight=david+paulides

:)
-----

Extract from Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Paulides
Paulides attained his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of San Francisco, after which he decided to pursue his long-time dream of becoming a police officer. In 1977, he began working at Fremont Police Department. In October 1980, he transferred to the San Jose Police Department and worked in the patrol division on the SWAT Team (Merge), patrol and Street Crimes Unit. During his time as a detective, Paulides worked in the Vice/Intelligence Unit, and a variety of specialized assignments.
Prior to leaving the San Jose Police Department, Paulides received an offer to work in high-tech industry, where he was "tagged as an executive who could flush out businesses, go deep into their background, and perform due diligence on partnership development and acquisitions." This was the beginning of his use of his investigative skills, after his law enforcement background, in a different station in life. Paulides retired from high-tech, and since about 2008 has written five non-fiction research books on unexplained phenomena.
-----
Paulides' current project is Missing 411, a series of non-fiction books documenting unsolved cases of disappearing people in national parks. His work on this subject began when he was doing research in a national park when an off-duty park ranger found him and expressed concern about the questionable nature of some of the disappearing persons cases which occur in the parks. The rangers knew Paulides' background and requested that he research into it and see if he could find any leads. Paulides obliged, and since then asserts that he has uncovered multiple lines of evidence to suggest negligence on behalf of the park service in keeping track of their missing people, and a continuous series of disappearances from all across the U.S., and even other parts of the world, that seem to defy all logical and conventional explanations.

I haven't posted since Gary was found, so this is just an update FYI.

I walked the path that Gary took to get to where he went over the cliff. The report that he was on the phone running through bushland makes no sense, as the path he took has both gnarled, exposed, roots, and low (1½ metres) overhanging branches. If he ran through that in the dark, he would have been knocked out cold. From that path, it's a ninety degree left turn, and a further 30-40 metres to the cliff edge.

There is a theory, with little detail behind it, that he was hit by a car, the driver panicked, and put Gary over the cliff. I pass no comment either way on this.

My wife and I became friends with Gary's ex, and we were honoured (as the only "outsiders") to be present when she installed a memorial plaque on the path.

Thanks for the input stamper -
for some reason I cant quote your post without my keypad going crazy - not sure whats going on with my computer - so I'll copy and paste...
-----
QUOTE=stamper: I walked the path that Gary took to get to where he went over the cliff. The report that he was on the phone running through bushland makes no sense, as the path he took has both gnarled, exposed, roots, and low (1½ metres) overhanging branches. If he ran through that in the dark, he would have been knocked out cold. From that path, it's a ninety degree left turn, and a further 30-40 metres to the cliff edge.
-----

I agree with you - totally. It has always been a bone of contention with me too.
Possibly the reports that came through msm were veiled - Police may have done this if they suspected foul play,
or the account of the information was incorrect or misunderstood.
I think there was corporate interventions - and in hindsight, some rumour was that people voluntarily searching for Gary may not have been involved if they had known that there were
issues of his disappearance related to drugs, dealers and lack or misleading information.

I had heard the speculation of the car accident -
but at the end of the day, there has been no autopsy report released - and here lies the problem.
There would have been tell tale signs of the terrain Gary had come into contact with. It should/would be on the report.
Evidence would have been on the soles of his feet and on traces of the foliage he had passed through and brushed against on his clothing.
If he was carried or dragged - it would be on his clothes and body. Either a lack of evidence that he ran through the bush, or that he had contact consistent with the path he took.
A car accident would have left traces - and if that was the case, then what was the activity from Garys cell phone - it was presumed he was using the phone at some stage.

His feet (if shoe-less as reported) should/would have been cut up if he was in the bush, and he would have some gravel or traces on his journey by foot, on the soles of his feet.
That includes the road base, the bush, and the soil.
I do not know if the car the dealer owned was forensically checked for Gary's fingerprints or traces that Gary had been in or at the car.

Running through the bush with no shoes? There was no report about the phone call saying he was freezing or couldn't walk far because of the terrain and his feet hurting.
As for running through the bush in near freezing temps with no shoes - the only advantage I can see to that is that he could better feel the terrain under his feet, and go slower, but at one point his feet must have been numb with the cold.
If that was the case - looking at the terrain he would have had to walk through to go over the cliff, it is sharp, spiky, rocky, loose with pine needle type top debris and leaf litter which is super slippery along the path and on the descending slopes - as well as almost being inaccessible. There are tree stumps and glass - some of this would have been able to be determined in the autopsy if it was looked for and examined.

If he had left the road and gone into the bush he would have been heading downhill - not on the flat. Why would have he descended into the bush.
There was no reason for him to be off the road at all. None.
Nor was there any reason for him to be found so far away from the meeting point.

There are pieces of the story that don't add up, unfortunately.
Maybe one day the autopsy report will be available.

stamper, the little plaque is lovely. Nice to know you were there at the time of its placement.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back