Australia - Girl, 10, raped & murdered, dad charged, Bribie Island, 1 Jan 2008

Not trying to be a smart alec, but I wonder if his mental illness was brought on due to him being an atheist or agnostic? He was only recently released from a psych hospital. In no way am I saying he is mentally ill, but what kind of sane person would do such an awful thing to his own child?

I appreciate and respect the passion that this kind of crime can induce, but I think implying Judeo/Christian beliefs are the only beliefs of a civilized society is all kinds of wrong!!! No offense meant, but I am also entitled to my opinion....There are many forms of Buddhism (Shinto comes to mind) as well as true Islamic beliefs, animism, druidism etc that do not advocate for an "uncivil" society...
i am a christian. i totally believe in heaven and hell forever. that is not what stops me from being evil. the fact that i know in my heart there is a god is not why i have not killed my kids. knowing there is a god has not stopped more than 1 person from committing evil acts upon children. i found more relevance in ziggy's post as a comment on the morals of society as a whole than if you subscribe to 1 religion or none. when Brittany spears dressed up in her sexy little school girl outfit American parents said it was wrong then bought the cd for their children. when people stop letting morals guide their actions we allow more and more thing to become acceptable. it wont matter if you found a moral belief system in the bible or on your mom's knee while she told you children's story's if you choose not to listen to them.

I don't know why religion was brought into this debate at all, as you will find many perverts take positions in different churches, temples, to be closer to children to abuse. Also many mentally ill have religious obsessions to the extreme. I think this man is just a sick pervert . My prayers for his poor daughter.. makes me wonder if he did anything with the corpses if he was a funeral director. Maybe he got caught doing necrophilia and was hospitalized for that. It's a sick world and you never know.. Also where was the children's mother in this picture?

I don't know why religion was brought into this debate at all, as you will find many perverts take positions in different churches, temples, to be closer to children to abuse. Also many mentally ill have religious obsessions to the extreme. I think this man is just a sick pervert . My prayers for his poor daughter.. makes me wonder if he did anything with the corpses if he was a funeral director. Maybe he got caught doing necrophilia and was hospitalized for that. It's a sick world and you never know.. Also where was the children's mother in this picture?
i think religion was brought up because people look for answers. it helps to cope with the horror of such tragedy if we can define it somehow. if we know why it happened we feel safer. if it is all random then it could be your child next and that scares the hell out of most of us.

Because we live in a world where the ACLU would rather protect the rights of the *advertiser censored* industry than the rights of the peaceful and religeous moral people in this country. I suppose that might be for another forum, but just had to answer the question. When we lose the desire to follow God's law, then the laws of man have no meaning and there is no respect for man's law or human beings. Right or wrong, love them or hate them (and I don't have a particular religeon myself) Judeo/Christian faiths have practical purposes in a civilized society because they keep people on the right track by making them think about the life they are living in preparation for the afterlife. With no reason to be a good person in this life - all hell breaks loose. That doesn't mean the faithful are always good, but a vast majority of them are. I must say I learned this first hand after moving from secular CA to Southern Baptist Tennessee. Good lessons learned for me. God is love. No God = less love, more hatred, rage and perversion.
I agree with you. That's not to say that all Christians are good and all non-believers are bad. You can still be moral and good if you don't believe; however, believing in God oftentimes keeps the believers on the right road.

I notice that the ACLU oftentimes takes only the cases that are in the limelight, similar to the Jessie Jacksons and Al Sharptons of this world. All of these people and organizations stay in business because of conflict.

i think religion was brought up because people look for answers. it helps to cope with the horror of such tragedy if we can define it somehow. if we know why it happened we feel safer. if it is all random then it could be your child next and that scares the hell out of most of us.

Sherri, good answer, i agree with it. Yet it makes me wonder why religion isn't brought up in all the horrible cases we read about children being murdered. We all say our prayers for the victims, yet as to what religion the pervert father was in this case, i don't think that it's relevant. The symptoms of pervertism (i made up a word i guess..) don't seem controllable like for example symptoms of schizophrenia, which can be controlled by medications. They have no cure for perverts, or their symptoms. That is what is scary..

Because we live in a world where the ACLU would rather protect the rights of the *advertiser censored* industry than the rights of the peaceful and religeous moral people in this country. I suppose that might be for another forum, but just had to answer the question. When we lose the desire to follow God's law, then the laws of man have no meaning and there is no respect for man's law or human beings. Right or wrong, love them or hate them (and I don't have a particular religeon myself) Judeo/Christian faiths have practical purposes in a civilized society because they keep people on the right track by making them think about the life they are living in preparation for the afterlife. With no reason to be a good person in this life - all hell breaks loose. That doesn't mean the faithful are always good, but a vast majority of them are. I must say I learned this first hand after moving from secular CA to Southern Baptist Tennessee. Good lessons learned for me. God is love. No God = less love, more hatred, rage and perversion.

What about the Priests and Pastors that molest children? They're more perverse than anyone else, IMHO. They know God, follow God's Law, and preach God's Word, but they are NOT good people. They RUIN people for life. How do you explain that one?

I don't think you need God to give you a "reason to be a good person" to actually BE a good person. Most people are good to one another because it makes them feel good in turn!

This is my last allusion to the beliefs debate here, but I feel that the majority of people in the world are "good" because it feels good, it moves you further along in society and humans are meant to be in groups so keeping the group successful is an innate choice we make. This is whether you believe in a higher power or not-I recently returned to faith in the last 10 years for the simple reason that I couldn't live with the idea that my beloved father (who died) was simply gone and there was nothing else. I am not a better person now then then-just happier in my mind to relinquish some of my pain and worry into the hands of another...I spent years on the other side of that debate, but with age have learned that the world does not have to be so black and white.

This man who murdered his child is filth to me simply because I find crimes against children so unforgivable and difficult to comprehend.

Thanks Sherri. I wonder why Dingo didn't know of this? Interesting. Wonder if it operates like ours?
Ive never heard of this organisation but Im going to go do some reasearch on them.

This is my last allusion to the beliefs debate here, but I feel that the majority of people in the world are "good" because it feels good, it moves you further along in society and humans are meant to be in groups so keeping the group successful is an innate choice we make. This is whether you believe in a higher power or not-I recently returned to faith in the last 10 years for the simple reason that I couldn't live with the idea that my beloved father (who died) was simply gone and there was nothing else. I am not a better person now then then-just happier in my mind to relinquish some of my pain and worry into the hands of another...I spent years on the other side of that debate, but with age have learned that the world does not have to be so black and white.

This man who murdered his child is filth to me simply because I find crimes against children so unforgivable and difficult to comprehend.

Believe, thank you, it's so true. If people only did good since it was what they believed their religion wanted of them, then they are only doing good for their religion. When they do good, straight from the heart and for the sake of helping people, then it helps them grow personally and spiritually in their religion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back