GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8540177

On Friday, September 21, she enjoyed birthday drinks for several co-workers on Sydney Road, then had one last drink with her friend and colleague Tom Wright.

The pair left Bar Etiquette at 1.33am (AEST) on Saturday.

"I said, can I walk you home because it's late at night," Mr Wright recalled during a News Limited interview this week.

"She said: 'No, no, I live around here. I know it really well. Don't worry.'"

He asked again and she declined, so Mr Wright jumped in a cab while Ms Meagher continued walking by herself towards her home.

She paused a moment on the way to phone her brother in Perth at 1.43am, asking about their sick father.

Poor TW. I imagine he is torturing himself about this, and I extend my sympathies to him also.

:(

It is ironic to me that places like Australia and England, which have some of the worst history as far as crime and punishment from a century or so ago, have swung in such an opposite direction and become so dainty about criminal's feelings, etc...anyway, just something I've been thinking about, I've read a lot of books about the days of the "Empire". Not saying they were doing it right back then, but good grief...

I so agree with you cluciano63.

Fascinating article ... my one lament about print journalism going downhill is the inevitable loss of amazing journalists like John Silvester

Amazing how fast the investigation developed - looks at the start of Wednesday they had very little and by the end of Wednesday they had released the CCTV footage, identified a suspect (by themselves) and basically had him under surveillance. Makes you wonder if all along the CCTV footage was more about getting eye witnesses to place him at the scene or filling out the timeline or trying to spook him into unusual behaviour, rather than ID-ing the suspect

Also fromt he other article, interesting that the phone was a key factor in the investigation. Vodafone were able to track the phone (as well as call records), presumably before it was switched off later on Saturday AM.

Also 2 notable pieces missing:
- details on prior convictions although it alluded to
- details on where/when the murder occurred ..

it is implied very early on Saturday morning and lack of forensic evidence in Brunswick almost suggests that it might have Gisborne and it seems like it was quite gruesome - I suspect we will (rightly so) never know the details of that part !

The Weekend Australian has learned that Ms Meagher's mobile telephone, which had been switched off since shortly after she disappeared on Saturday morning, played a crucial role in the police investigation.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...an-ernest-bayley/story-e6frg6nf-1226483787739

Her provider, Vodafone, helped track the location of her phone as well as providing call records which assisted detectives in making their arrest.

Victoria Police has privately thanked Vodafone for its assistance, but declined to comment on the phone's importance to the investigation.

Thanks for this Firesnake. It sounds to me like Jill's phone was traced to AB's residence or his car.

Well done and a big thank you to Vodafone. :rocker:

MOO.

Fascinating article ... my one lament about print journalism going downhill is the inevitable loss of amazing journalists like John Silvester

Amazing how fast the investigation developed - looks at the start of Wednesday they had very little and by the end of Wednesday they had released the CCTV footage, identified a suspect (by themselves) and basically had him under surveillance. Makes you wonder if all along the CCTV footage was more about getting eye witnesses to place him at the scene or filling out the timeline or trying to spook him into unusual behaviour, rather than ID-ing the suspect

Also fromt he other article, interesting that the phone was a key factor in the investigation. Vodafone were able to track the phone (as well as call records), presumably before it was switched off later on Saturday AM.

Also 2 notable pieces missing:
- details on prior convictions although it alluded to
- details on where/when the murder occurred ..

it is implied very early on Saturday morning and lack of forensic evidence in Brunswick almost suggests that it might have Gisborne and it seems like it was quite gruesome - I suspect we will (rightly so) never know the details of that part !

On some level, it's better not to know. But stuff gets out anyway. I got to hear some stuff about Anita Cobby's brutal murder that I've never recovered from. Wish I hadn't heard it. I still don't sleep very well.

The backpacker murders also haunt me.

Can they track the precise location once the phone is off or battery gone? Or would it just be the nearest tower it pings off? In which case how many towers could there be between the very short distance between brunswick and coburg?

ETA Sorry, for some reason keep thinking he took her to his house, but it sounds like he went straight to gisborne. I wonder if they could get a ping on the way to there. So sad if the murder was in gisborne to think she may have been alive and conscious during the whole drive there, knowing what was awaiting her.

Or that TV drama about a crime in Sydney that could be shown everywhere in the country but NSW? What was that called?

Blue Murder was the one in NSW in the 90s

But the original underbelly about Carl Williams etc was also banned for a short time in Victoria

Can they track the precise location once the phone is off or battery gone? Or would it just be the nearest tower it pings off? In which case how many towers could there be between the very short distance between brunswick and coburg?

ETA Sorry, for some reason keep thinking he took her to his house, but it sounds like he went straight to gisborne. I wonder if they could get a ping on the way to there. So sad if the murder was in gisborne to think she may have been alive and conscious during the whole drive there, knowing what was awaiting her.

I get the impression he pretty much told them the whole story. I just wish that suspects were not allowed to plead "not guilty" once they not only confess but produce the victim's body. Such a waste of funds...

I still don't get why she didn't call her husband. I can only think that she didn't think she was in any danger.

Also suspect there is more CCTV stuff that is more incriminating that we have not seen! But I suspect the clincher in this case will be the DNA evidence. Finding the handbag & the body so quickly will be of enormous help in this regard.

But it does get me thinking of all the people who go missing everyday and never get found. And their families and loved ones. Like that boy Daniel Morcombe. And countless others. While Jill Meagher captured our hearts, the people who have never been found should capture our minds.

"Within a few years, he began to visit the prostitutes in Melbourne's red-light district of St Kilda."

From: http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/...an-ernest-bayley/story-e6frg6nf-1226483787739

For all we know he could have been at, or was on his way to, a strip club or brothel on Sydney Rd. There's a Club X right next door to the first pub Jill was at.

"After some hours police played their ace. They showed him evidence that he was the man."

From: http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/meet-me-at-the-pub-20120928-26r4d.html

I think there was definitely more CCTV, that explicitly showed his face and with Jill. The pizza shop perhaps. The article, similar to the Canberra one, also suggests the Duchess CCTV was showable, for the very fact that it did not clearly show his face ... which really makes me believe they released it to spook him while already being under surveillance..

I Agree. John has an amazing network to glean information from and I read and listen to him religiously. I was going to post his link as it is the best information I've read to date.

It's nearly 3am and I'm still trying to get through all the pages here. My staff, and me, have been deeply affected by this and have been in tears tonight watching Thomas and his brother in law and seeing the devastation on their faces. There is a "reclaim the night" walk being planned in the next few weeks and I'm going to encourage my son and his friends to attend as well to show solidarity to the women they know and love. I can't stop thinking about her last moments and what she may have gone through. I feel so angry that I just want to scream out loud at how unfair it is.

Selfishly I want to scream about how much more vulnerable it has made women in our city feel because of one man who couldn't control whatever disgusting urge came over him.

It is a horrible fact that such terrible crimes have to serve as a kind of wake-up call to society. People like this suspect do walk the streets, just as the rest of us do, sometimes because of ridiculous laws or lack thereof and sometimes because they have not yet been caught or are just getting ready to begin their criminal life.

As much as no one wants to think about it, it is necessary to keep in mind that all of society is not like "the rest of us" and that danger is always a possibility. Of course women (and everyone else) should be able to walk in peace and safety, but it is not the way things are. There will always be the "others" and in many cases, they won't stand out until it is too late.

http://www.coastaltimes.com.au/news...blic-shows-its-grief/2661348.aspx?storypage=2

NINO BUCCI, MEGAN LEVY AND WARWICK MCFADYEN
28 Sep, 2012 12:59 PM

<snipped>
It comes as thousands of people throw their support behind plans for a mass march down Sydney Road to protest against violence against women and to show solidarity in the community.

Nearly 3000 people have "liked" a Facebook page calling for Sydney Road to host a Reclaim The Night march, part of a global campaign to protest against rape and other forms of sexual violence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...adrian-bayley-arrested-abc_n_1921987.html?GEP

The Huffington Post UK | By Jessica Elgot
Posted: 28/09/2012 11:19 BST Updated: 28/09/2012 11:20

Flowers have been placed outside the bridal shop, whose CCTV captured Jill Meagher's last movements

o-JILL-MEAGHER-570.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member