GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have missed it on here....but I have not seen some of these details anywhere else.
I agree. I bought it this morning and I was pretty shocked to read some of those details. I knew what the actual crimes were, but the descriptions of what he actually did and said were very explicit.

MOO.

I agree. I bought it this morning and I was pretty shocked to read some of those details. I knew what the actual crimes were, but the descriptions of what he actually did and said were very explicit.

MOO.
It also has a warning on the first page which I have just noticed!
'We warn this story contains graphic details which may be distressing'

I dont normally read that magazine because it is too fluffy for me. This is quite out of character for the WW, IMO

Just saw the news, So alleged killer has tried to suicide in prison. This makes me angry!

The man charged with the murder of Melbourne woman Jill Meagher has reportedly attempted to take his own life.

Adrian Ernest Bayley was brought to St Vincent's Hospital on Sunday morning suffering self-inflicted wounds.

Bayley is said to have made the attempt to take his own life in the Melbourne Assessment Prison and was then transported by ambulance for treatment in the hospital's emergency department.

Corrections Victoria has confirmed a prisoner was brought to the hospital, but won't say any more about the nature of the wounds or how they were inflicted.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/15236864/jill-meaghers-accused-killer-attempts-suicide/

JILL Meagher's accused killer was recovering in hospital after severely injuring himself while on remand at a maximum-security prison.
The Herald Sun understands Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, was set to undergo surgery later this evening after being rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital’s secure section, following what is thought to have been an attempt to take his own life.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...aken-to-hospital/story-e6frf7kx-1226504839736

Wonder how the police and the judicial system will deal with that? If they thought social media was going to be a problem - they forgot the dreaded Women's Weekly...! :furious:

Thank goodness I never buy that rag.

I haven't seen the article, so I don't know its tone/content but I am sure Jill's family already know all the details about ABs past. Police and prosecuters would have already told them, and probably more information about him, we and the press haven't been privy to.

I must seem like a cold person, because I don't really see the problem of an article mentioning his past, I think the public deserve to know what type of people have been let out on the streets. Is the article any different than if it were published in a newspaper?

If it gets out in Victoria the publishers of the Weekly will be in contempt of court. Obviously the editors must think there is an audience for this content in their magazine. Such a shame that there are no Australian women's magazines that are a patch on what they were originally. I wouldn't line the bottom of a birdcage with them if I owned a bird.:twocents:

http://www.smh.com.au Reclaim the night to bring 1000 out in force, by Jonathan Swan October 27, 2012.

”I think Sydney has been equally outraged and devastated by Jill Meagher’s case,” said Kate O’Brien. At Hyde Park tomorrow night, more than 1000 are expected to attend Sydney’s Reclaim the Night … as Ms Meagher’s death has profoundly affected many people.

The motives of organisers and marchers are noble - with the greatest respect we as a society need to focus our energies on electing MP's to a parliament which will not appoint left-leaning, PC judiciary. When any of the current judicial incumbents impose ridiculously lenient sentences and parole boards are dazzled by a prisoner's new found religion etc and grant parole, citizens should immediately voice their disapproval at the office of their State MP. They are paid to represent us.

People can march until Doomsday and it is a waste of shoe leather whilever the community is not protected from offenders who should be incarcerated and not free to roam amongst us.
Honest and decent men and women don't need marches to remind them of the rights of every person to walk the streets safely and unaccosted, day and night. The others don't care, or are incapable of caring.

I noticed that too. I can imagine that the details would be very upsetting to anyone who has been sexually abused, especially if it was a violent attack. My husband could see that I was upset when I was reading the part about his words to his victims. I don't usually buy magazines like that and I regret doing it just this once. Back to Home Beautiful for me.

IMO victims of crime compensations just keeps it within the system and is only a 'token gesture' anyway. It does nothing to bring this matter before the Government Law makers for real change. The family have the option to sue if what is written above is correct. This could lead to real changes being made i.e. files marked 'Never To Be Released'. My opinion only.

If they wanted to sue they could start with a certain magistrate in Geelong who could have revoked a person's parole earlier this year. And the government who appointed the magistrate.

If it gets out in Victoria the publishers of the Weekly will be in contempt of court. Obviously the editors must think there is an audience for this content in their magazine. Such a shame that there are no Australian women's magazines that are a patch on what they were originally. I wouldn't line the bottom of a birdcage with them if I owned a bird.:twocents:

I understand issues of contempt. Sorry, it wasn't very clear but my post was more in reply to how WW don't have any empathy for the Maeghers given that they could possibly come across it in a waiting room. To me, the close family would already know the details (and more). No doubt any article mentioning Jill or AB would upset them when reading, so I'm not saying that it wouldn't, but I don't think the details of past crimes would be new to them at this stage. This is a public interest story now, and like it or not, there is an audience - notice some people in this thread who don't normally read this publication, bought it!

I understand issues of contempt. Sorry, it wasn't very clear but my post was more in reply to how WW don't have any empathy for the Maeghers given that they could possibly come across it in a waiting room. To me, the close family would already know the details (and more). No doubt any article mentioning Jill or AB would upset them when reading, so I'm not saying that it wouldn't, but I don't think the details of past crimes would be new to them at this stage. This is a public interest story now, and like it or not, there is an audience - notice some people in this thread who don't normally read this publication, bought it!

I won't buy it and I think it's gutter journalism at it's worst. If it was in a trashy paper (the type that used to have a photo of a sheila with big *advertiser censored* on p3) I would expect it, but a womens' magazine that is supposedly family oriented?
Kerry Packer must be turning in his grave.
This is stuff that NOBODY needs to know. Prior victims know it and don't need to be reminded, JM's loved ones and AB's children certainly don't need to see it. The disgusting thing is that WW will make out it's doing it for altruistic motives, to inform the public, keep women safe, blah blah, what a joke.

The motives of organisers and marchers are noble - with the greatest respect we as a society need to focus our energies on electing MP's to a parliament which will not appoint left-leaning, PC judiciary. When any of the current judicial incumbents impose ridiculously lenient sentences and parole boards are dazzled by a prisoner's new found religion etc and grant parole, citizens should immediately voice their disapproval at the office of their State MP. They are paid to represent us.

.. respectfully snipped... unquote].

In my opinion this is a helpful message for concerned members of the public to act upon should they wish to something constructive: citizens could voice their disapproval at the office of their State MP. They are paid to represent us.
However, disagree on the marching - people have diverse ways of showing their concern. Showing concern is better than apathy. IMO it also raises awareness among people in communities that others are concerned which helps spread the message. Its an approach among other approaches. What would be helpful here would be for concerned citizens to write to their State MP's and complain about the judicial system. MOO.

I can see both sides of the article - not that I've seen it.

I think that by releasing the info it could lead to reform (yeah maybe It's just wishful thinking...) and people being aware that scum like this exist.

On the flip side, yes I understand how painful this could be for so many people.

Folks just because a magazine has printed certain information it doesn't mean WS rules have changed. We are not to discuss history in any shape or form & we are drawing the line right here on discussions about it.

Might I also remind you are NOT allowed to tell other members what or how to post.

Just saw the news, So alleged killer has tried to suicide in prison. This makes me angry!
Jill Meagher's accused killer hospitalised
7News, Yahoo!7 News, October 28, 2012, 3:01 pm http://au.news.yahoo.com

The man charged with the murder of Jill Meagher has reportedly attempted to take his own life. The 41-year old has been charged with raping and murdering 29-year-old Jill Meagher in Brunswick, Melbourne, in September which sparked an unprecedented outpouring of grief from the community.

JILL Meagher's accused killer was recovering in hospital after severely injuring himself while on remand at a maximum-security prison.

The Herald Sun understands Adrian Ernest Bayley, 41, had surgery during the day after injuring himself in what was thought to have been an attempt to take his own life.

Mr Bayley was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital's secure unit after being found bleeding requiring surgery for extensive wounds.

http://www.news.com.au/national/jil...aken-to-hospital/story-fncynjr2-1226504839736

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa