GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by marlywings, May 23, 2013.

1. alicat

alicat Member

Also, my initial reaction to the yellow shirt was a fluro workers shirt.

2. alicat

alicat Member

3. marlywings

marlywings Former Member

4. ozazure

ozazure Well-Known Member

Hoping the man in yellow comes forward today.

5. Flinders

Flinders Active Member

@ErinEdwards7:

Man heard crying on porch of home night pregnant fast-food worker died is in custody, questioned now @7NewsBrisbane

Today, minutes ago

6. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

Great news, Flinders!!! Thanks for that!

Hopefully this man will have some answers...

7. Flinders

Flinders Active Member

Double post

8. Flinders

Flinders Active Member

@renaehenry10:

Husband of Joan Ryther says they wanted a little girl, 8 wks pregnant, she'd named her, and created her own Facebook account @tennewsqld
    27/5 1.30pm

@ErinEdwards7:

@7NewsBrisbane update - man has since left police station. Police won't say if he's been eliminated
    27/5 1.31pm

@7NewsBrisbane: RT @ErinEdwards7: @7NewsBrisbane

update - man has since left police station. Police won't say if he's been eliminated
    2.04pm

9. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

Would he be allowed to walk out of the station so soon, if he -hadn't- been eliminated, though??

10. Flinders

Flinders Active Member

Maybe he only gave fingerprints?

11. KaylynnCouture

KaylynnCouture Well-Known Member

They may not have enough evidence to hold him, or charge him.

12. H A L 9 0 0 0

H A L 9 0 0 0 New Member

And a DNA swab perhaps? I guess all it's going to take is a hair on the victim's clothing or body to send someone away for a very, very long time, hopefully never to be released. No one deserves another chance after committing a brutal crime like this.

I'd imagine someone who was a lone perpetrator wouldn't give out prints etc without being arrested first, unless they wanted to take the risk that police didn't have sufficient physical evidence.

From memory the wording in the article seemed to indicate the police tracked Yellow man down, rather than him volunteering to come forward. I imagine security vision from nearby shops (Macca's and the pub in particular) would contain a wealth of material showing any dodgy types who may have been hanging around the area at the time.

13. Strangeworld

Strangeworld Well-Known Member

Even if he is involved, I can't imagine them holding him unless he confessed. They would need to gather evidence, get a timeline straight, put the pieces together. I think the police and investigators realise how important it is, in this day and age, to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed to make as close to an air-tight case as possible. Otherwise, when it gets to trial, things get messy.

I wonder if he's involved or not? I really have no clue at the moment who hurt Joan. Random, opportunistic? Someone that knew her? It's just a mystery.

How unfortunate and what bad luck if he isn't involved, and picked that one night to be acting suspiciously near a crime scene!

14. H A L 9 0 0 0

H A L 9 0 0 0 New Member

15. H A L 9 0 0 0

H A L 9 0 0 0 New Member

Pretty sure in one of the articles it said Yellow man was also known to police, but can't find it now.

Hopefully the leads the police are now following are related to Yellow man seeing a potential suspect.

Maybe Yellow man has a known mental health condition that could account for the odd behaviour on the night, or was tripping out on something.

16. ozazure

17. moreinfo

moreinfo New Member

and looks like another one of her pages.
    https://www.facebook.com/joan.asequia

Just thinking out loud. I wonder if she had any admirers at work or outside of work. They may have learnt of her being pregnant (i read she had just announced 1 week ago) and this has sparked into outrageous jealousy.

If it was a random attack, most serial rapists/murders normally try and dispose of the body so they leave no evidence behind.

This targeting seems kind of amateurish IYKWIM. Body left on the street.

Another female taken away so brutally. RIP Joan & baby

18. Susan12

Susan12 Active Member

I'm thinking that perhaps the perpetrator meant to sexually assault her (and maybe knock her out for that) but not kill her which might explain the not so professional look of it.

I know the yellow clothed man is said to be ruled out, if that's not entirely true and he was the perpetrator it could explain why he was seen crying, because it went further than he intended.

Interesting a woman was heard yelling in what was said to sound like Chinese. Presuming they just heard an Asian language and it was her yelling, interesting she was yelling in a foreign language. Presuming she speaks English well enough (reasonable assumption) then why yell in a foreign language unless you expect that person to understand you? Yelling for help, others in homes wouldn't understand you either. That might give the idea the person being yelled at is foreign and could provide a clue?

19. Seeking

Seeking New Member

My first reaction to the report of the woman screaming in "Chinese" was that if it was the victim and not someone else, that perhaps in extreme stress Joan may have resorted to her first language (just verbally expressing her extreme fear etc.) but Susan's idea as quoted is an equally valid one.

20. ozazure

I think both theories are valid, you are more likely to yell out in your own language, the content not as important as the tone, you are making noise and putting up a fight. That said, she may have spoken in her first language if she felt he could understand her. I don't know if the statistics on race have been updated but people tend to offend in their own group ... that might be a proximity or a preference thing, might not even be true any more in more diverse areas. I think the police probably have a lot to go on and hope an arrest is made very soon.