Australia - JS, 32 y.o. man, charged w/ murder of 9 y.o. girl , Mt Wilson, 13 January 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutten's drug habit has been deadly. Clearly the rehab program didn't work:

The couple had met while Ms Mutten was in prison, where she served a three-year sentence for causing a car crash that killed her passenger while high on ice in 2017.

Kallista Mutten, 39, was sentenced to 12 months in prison for breaking and entering with magistrate Geoffrey Hiatt allowing her to spend this in the community under an intensive corrections order.

. . .

Charlise was on holiday with her mother and Mr Stein from Coolangatta, where she has lived with her grandmother Deborah Mutten since 2017 when her daughter began a court-ordered rehab program.

. . .

Ms Mutten had recently gotten her driver’s licence back after a long suspension following her conviction for dangerous driving occasioning death.

[bbm]

Snipped and BBM

I agree, IMO Mutten is criminally negligent however she's the only hope the prosecution have of firmly nailing JS - they're going to need to persuade the jury she's being truthful in her account and her word can be trusted, that she's the victim here too. That's going to be difficult! Without this, there could be insufficient evidence IMO. I suppose they'll have to build a picture that she's low intelligence, struggling with addiction, and an unrealistic gullible fantasist who was all too prepared to believe in the lies of a romance scammer (I don't suppose JS would ever really marry her or be a father, so it had all been deception).

JMO MOO.

Snipped and BBM

I agree, IMO Mutten is criminally negligent however she's the only hope the prosecution have of firmly nailing JS - they're going to need to persuade the jury she's being truthful in her account and her word can be trusted, that she's the victim here too. That's going to be difficult! Without this, there could be insufficient evidence IMO. I suppose they'll have to build a picture that she's low intelligence, struggling with addiction, and an unrealistic gullible fantasist who was all too prepared to believe in the lies of a romance scammer (I don't suppose JS would ever really marry her or be a father, so it had all been deception).

JMO MOO.
In any case I'd imagine his mother would never allow it IMO

What a story - “some time to spend together” with JS while her daughter that she rarely sees is sick.
I realise that Charlise was already deceased at the time but it shows KM’s level of carelessness towards the child. I hope she gets charged with neglect.

She wanted to do drugs and sex with her man so badly that she put the life, location, welfare of her child way down the list of priorities. Addicts are selfish people who've lost the plot, sometimes when they get clean and sober and stop acting out silly games with people and sex (usually using a programme of recovery), they're wise, humble, honest, have integrity and help others. If KM is a half decent person she needs to get to that place. JMO MOO

an unrealistic gullible fantasist who was all too prepared to believe in the lies of a romance scammer
Snipped for focus. She's been subjected to verbal abuse, death threats, lies . . . we don't even need to find her truthful to know that. She's a victim of domestic violence. It does mess with your cognitions.

she's the only hope the prosecution have of firmly nailing JS - they're going to need to persuade the jury she's being truthful in her account and her word can be trusted,

Yes, I can see that's the prosecution's strategy. I wonder if they essentially made a deal with her: testify against Stein or join him in the dock as an accomplice.

It will be interesting to see what the defence does. From what I see, on the basis of her drug history her credibility could be ripped to shreds.

From ABC news ….

Mr Stein's lawyer Caroyln Davenport SC previously told the jury her client does not deny attempting to dump the body, but denies being the one that put Charlise in the barrel.

Ms Davenport has also told the jurors she would argue Ms Mutten had motive to kill her own daughter.

More here

I am looking forward to hearing about the cross examination by the defence (Davenport) … I hope we get some details …

IMO

Also Kallista was pregnant with the alleged murderers’ child, and who knows what decision she had to make about that child’s future? Would have been extremely hard.

I would think that Kallista's condition in the hospital (after she had an episode) might also bear out parts of her story.

She says that Stein beat her up and left bruises on her arms and scrapes on her chest.

He evidently did not care about the safety of his unborn child. imo

“He found me and grabbed me and pushed me to the ground and started kicking into me and hitting me and grabbing my shoulders and my clothes and shaking me,” the emotional woman told the court.
“I remember just yelling ... ‘just stop, because I just want my daughter’.”
Mutten said she was left with bruising to her arms and scrape marks across her chest.

She wanted to do drugs and sex with her man so badly that she put the life, location, welfare of her child way down the list of priorities. Addicts are selfish people who've lost the plot, sometimes when they get clean and sober and stop acting out silly games with people and sex (usually using a programme of recovery), they're wise, humble, honest, have integrity and help others. If KM is a half decent person she needs to get to that place. JMO MOO

Looks like she probably isn't doing ice any more. She has put on weight. imo

zhe
Prior to this KM already had another extreme and traumatic experience whereby her driving under the influence cause her friend’s death. She’s had her chance to make things right again and didn’t

Attachments

• IMG_9267.jpeg
    IMG_9267.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 13
zhe

Prior to this KM already had another extreme and traumatic experience whereby her driving under the influence cause her friend’s death. She’s had her chance to make things right again and didn’t
I think she was trying to put together a good life out of reduced possibilities. And I think Justin was playing the "we're in the same boat" card. "Nobody trusts you, but I trust you. If you trust me. Trust me!"

She looked close to this weight after Charlise was reported missing, definitely not your typical underweight ice addict (image taken from Meth binge of Charlie Mutten's 'ice addict' mother revealed in court)

I personally think her face looks significantly heavier now.
There is this photo, but there are photos in some paywalled articles where her double/triple chins are even more apparent and her cheeks are now filled out.
Not to criticise her appearance, but it looks like she might be off the meth. imo

I guess we will find out because if she is still on meth the defence will, no doubt, point that out. In order to diminish her court testimony. imo

a.jpg
Mother of killed schoolgirl Charlise Mutten tears up while giving evidence in Justin Stein murder trial

Last edited:
Me too. I think she'll be grilled heavily on her recollection and credibility.
I think this will definitely be the case. For me the part to watch will be whether the account she gave when she was first interviewed by police is significantly different to what she has to say now. JS’s stories have been all over the place so if hers has stayed consistent that will help a lot I expect.

I’ve just read the articles from today and I believe she’s probably telling the truth. It sounds like she wanted to call the police earlier but JS had her convinced that doing so would put CM in danger which was a ploy to buy him time to dump the barrel.

I also think it’s quite possible that JS planted the seed from CM to suggest going with him to Mount Wilson before she asked. Whatever the case, the fact that she was calling him “daddy” speaks a lot for how comfortable she must have been with/around him. :( imo

I’m sure when KM is cross examined we’ll find out what the defence believe her motive for killing CM herself could have been.

i think that CM’s custodial grandparents were misled by KM
they definitely didn’t know that KM was back using even though she was pregnant
they probably didn’t know the full background of JS, but were told all about his rich family and their fancy property in the Blue Mountains
did they even know about the caravan park?
did they think that CM was staying at the Stein’s and if so, did they think AS would be present and providing an additional safeguard for CM?
moo

Do we know if Kallista has her latest baby in her care? I suppose it's a toddler now.

I don't think we know.

One thing I stumbled on again, which we had spoken of in the first (pulled) thread, is that Stein has two other children.
At the time of this article (25th Jan 2022) he was unemployed but paying child support for the son, the DT didn't have any more info on the daughter.

a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member