Australia: Kathleen Folbigg Inquest April 29, 2019 *PARDONED*

[Former Chief Justice] Bathurst still needs to complete his final report, which [NSW AG] Daley on Monday said he believed would take “weeks, not months”.

Within that report, Bathurst could refer the matter to the court of criminal appeal to assess whether the convictions should be quashed.

Daley explained it is up to Folbigg’s legal team to initiate proceedings to claim compensation after Bathurst has finalised his report and if the matter was then referred to the criminal appeals court.

“If that was to happen, it would be open to Ms Folbigg to initiate civil proceedings against the state of NSW for compensation,” Daley said.

Kathleen Folbigg pardon: what evidence emerged over her children’s deaths and what happens next?

A segment I heard about this on the radio news today said that the world is going to take some getting used to, for Kathleen. So much has changed in the past 20 years. They hope that she has assistance in transitioning.

A scientist commenting in the segment said something needs to be written into law that a sentence is immediately quashed if future scientific developments prove an individual innocent, or create reasonable doubt (as in this case).

Another comment was that we now have another Lindy Chamberlain.

Source: TripleJ News today

From the same link that South posted.

Kathleen Folbigg has been pardoned over the deaths of her four children, after spending two decades in prison.

She was released from a Grafton jail on Monday after a decision of the New South Wales attorney general, Michael Daley.

There have been two inquiries into Folbigg’s convictions since she was first sentenced in May 2003. The most recent was conducted by former chief justice Tom Bathurst.

That inquiry examined evidence after new scientific developments that experts told Bathurst presented reason to believe that three of the children could have died of natural causes.

“There is a reasonable doubt as to Ms. Folbigg’s guilt of the manslaughter of her child Caleb, the infliction of grievous bodily harm on her child Patrick and the murder of her children Patrick, Sarah and Laura,” Daley told reporters.

“I have reached a view that there is reasonable doubt as to the guilt of Ms. Folbigg of those offenses,” Daley added.

Bathurst has conducted the second inquiry into Folbigg’s guilt, initiated by a petition that said it was “based on significant positive evidence of natural causes of death” and signed by 90 scientists, medical practitioners and related professionals.
Kathleen Folbigg during a convictions inquiry at the NSW Coroners Court in Sydney
Kathleen Folbigg during an inquiry in Sydney in 2019.

“There is a reasonable doubt as to Ms. Folbigg’s guilt of the manslaughter of her child Caleb, the infliction of grievous bodily harm on her child Patrick and the murder of her children Patrick, Sarah and Laura,” Daley told reporters.

“I have reached a view that there is reasonable doubt as to the guilt of Ms. Folbigg of those offenses,” Daley added.

Bathurst has conducted the second inquiry into Folbigg’s guilt, initiated by a petition that said it was “based on significant positive evidence of natural causes of death” and signed by 90 scientists, medical practitioners and related professionals.
Kathleen Folbigg during a convictions inquiry at the NSW Coroners Court in Sydney
Kathleen Folbigg during an inquiry in Sydney in 2019.

I just saw this headline at Yahoo- I am not familiar with the case but I guess they get it wrong in Australia too- I can't think of anything worse than being convicted and imprisoned for a crime you did not commit. Thank goodness they were able to make an appropriate determination of how her children died and she spent only four years in prison instead of many many more years.

I really can't, but when I think of it, I really can believe the nasty comments on Youtube, underneath the latest news :(

These are the sort of people who will never believe that Lindy Chamberlain was innocent.

They are saying on Ch7 News this morning that we will hear "within the hour" from Kathleen's lawyers.
I don't know if that means they plan to address the matters of a potential court appeal to quash the conviction and possible compensation.

I see that Lindy Chamberlain was awarded $1.3M in 1992 - from the NT Govt - for wrongfully spending 4 years in prison.
Henry Keogh was awarded $2.57M in 2014 - from the SA Govt - for wrongfully spending 20 years in prison.
David Eastman was awarded more that $7M in 2019 - from the ACT Govt - for wrongfully spending 20 years in prison.

Kathleen Folbigg may get millions in compensation after spending 20 years behind bars

I really can't, but when I think of it, I really can believe the nasty comments on Youtube, underneath the latest news :(

These are the sort of people who will never believe that Lindy Chamberlain was innocent.

Must be because the commenters know so much more :rolleyes: than the 151 scientists around the world who agreed on the rare genetic disease and petitioned for Kathleen's release from prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back