Deceased/Not Found Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *husband guilty* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is a new two part podcast interview of Hedley Thomas with Gary Jubelin up. In it Hedley reveals a few things most (perhaps all) of us haven't heard before.
Cliff, and other Web Sleuths following this thread: I felt like that information about relative Sue writing to the Ombudsman so early on, regarding the police investigation into Lynette’s disappearance (or lack of investigation) was new, to me.

I thought that was an excellent idea of hers actually.

I can’t remember if I heard it in Episode 1 or 2 of the new episodes released in Crime X “I Catch Killers” by News Corp.

Was it new information or had I just not been paying attention?

Cliff, and other Web Sleuths following this thread: I felt like that information about relative Sue writing to the Ombudsman so early on, regarding the police investigation into Lynette’s disappearance (or lack of investigation) was new, to me.

I thought that was an excellent idea of hers actually.

I can’t remember if I heard it in Episode 1 or 2 of the new episodes released in Crime X “I Catch Killers” by News Corp.

Was it new information or had I just not been paying attention?
Could be wrong, but I seem to remember that getting a mention in the original 'Teacher's Pet' episodes.

In the first of the two most recent podcast interviews Hedley does with Jubelin he volunteers some additional information about how and why the police might have originally swept the case under the carpet. Hopefully I will get this right here because I am going from memory after listening to it while I was taking a walk :

When the Dawsons finished playing in the big league for Newtown they were approached and subsequently recruited to be joint coaches of a team in a lower grade competition. The president of that club and the man who recruited them also just happened to be the top cop at Manly police station. It seems this cop not only assisted Dawson with his statement, he likely also assured the other cops what a terrific bloke Chris was and that because of that Lyn must just have just left of he own accord.

Some Google sleuthing revealed that after Chris and Paul finished with Newtown Jets they went to Gosford Townies rugby club and after that Belrose Eagles. They were joint captain coaches of Belrose Eagles for 2 years, so that will likely be the club whose president was the cop in question. I don't have a name for him as yet but whoever was the president of the Belrose Eagles rugby club during the period 1980-1982 will likely be that man.

I haven't heard the podcast yet but Sue Strath initially filed an ombudsman complaint about the investigation. This is the history of it. From memory she said she didn't follow it up because her life got busy.

Sue Strath had a friend whose husband was Paul Hulme and who she hassled for a long time about investigating Lynette Simm's disappearance. He eventually got assigned to a who eventually got to a place where he could investigate it. This is from a previous post above.

It got investigated 16 years too late to shut Sue up! Otherwise we may never have heard of Lyn Dawson.

"Mr Hulme had asked Detective Loone to look at the case in response to the determined lobbying of Lyn’s loyal friend, Sue Strath, who was also a close friend of his own wife, Helen."

"Ms Strath said she had raised Lyn’s disappearance every time she saw Mr Hulme’s wife.

“Finally … Bayview was his area, and he thought ‘Oh, I’ll shut Sue up, I’ll send my best detective because it’s missing persons week to have a look at this case’. So he got Damian Loone.” "

I haven't heard the podcast yet but Sue Strath initially filed an ombudsman complaint about the investigation. This is the history of it. From memory she said she didn't follow it up because her life got busy.

Sue Strath had a friend whose husband was Paul Hulme and who she hassled for a long time about investigating Lynette Simm's disappearance. He eventually got assigned to a who eventually got to a place where he could investigate it. This is from a previous post above.

It got investigated 16 years too late to shut Sue up! Otherwise we may never have heard of Lyn Dawson.

"Mr Hulme had asked Detective Loone to look at the case in response to the determined lobbying of Lyn’s loyal friend, Sue Strath, who was also a close friend of his own wife, Helen."

"Ms Strath said she had raised Lyn’s disappearance every time she saw Mr Hulme’s wife.

“Finally … Bayview was his area, and he thought ‘Oh, I’ll shut Sue up, I’ll send my best detective because it’s missing persons week to have a look at this case’. So he got Damian Loone.” "

Omg! This is amazing!

Sue Strath! What a legend!! And for missing person’s week, also!!!

This case is just full of twists and turns, isn’t it?

But there’s something to be said for dogged persistence….what an inspiration.

Some Google sleuthing revealed that after Chris and Paul finished with Newtown Jets they went to Gosford Townies rugby club and after that Belrose Eagles. They were joint captain coaches of Belrose Eagles for 2 years, so that will likely be the club whose president was the cop in question. I don't have a name for him as yet but whoever was the president of the Belrose Eagles rugby club during the period 1980-1982 will likely be that man.
Think his name was Brian "Smacka" Gardner and there's an interesting page here which links him to the Dawson's and Sue Strath's complaint: Brian Charles GARDNER | Australian Police

Gardner is the guy. From The Australian :

Brian Gardner, Manly Detectives. Mr Gardner was an influential senior figure of the Belrose Rugby League Club, where Mr Dawson and his twin ..

(the remainder is protected by The Australian's firewall but enough there to confirm things ChrisV2)

Think his name was Brian "Smacka" Gardner and there's an interesting page here which links him to the Dawson's and Sue Strath's complaint: Brian Charles GARDNER | Australian Police
Pertinent from the hotlink you posted :

Mr Dawson at the end of his statement made an unusual comment — that he was “being advised on procedure by Sergeant Brian Gardner, Manly Detectives”.

Mr Gardner was an influential senior figure of the Belrose Rugby League Club, where Mr Dawson and his twin brother Paul were joint captains and coaches. Known to colleagues as “Smacka”, Brian has since died.

Gardner is the guy. From The Australian :

Brian Gardner, Manly Detectives. Mr Gardner was an influential senior figure of the Belrose Rugby League Club, where Mr Dawson and his twin ..

(the remainder is protected by The Australian's firewall but enough there to confirm things ChrisV2)
There was also Chris's statement where he mentioned Ian Kennedy who when interviewed denied that Chris had spoken to him from memory of the trial.

"When after about the third phone call she said she needed a lot more time, she didn’t know if she would be returning to me. Um, I had friends at Belrose um, Rugby League Club who worked for the police force. I asked them to try and help locate Lyn’s whereabouts. A friend of mine on the Central Coast told me she had seen Lyn in a car on the Central Coast. Um, a friend of mine, Ian Kennedy, who’s now moved to the Drug Squad in New South Wales and um, Detective...my twin brother’s, who is now deceased unfortunately um, he was also making enquiries."

40 years after Lynette went missing Chris Dawson was found guilty for her murder December 2, 2022 (pictured: Chris Dawson in 2022) and was sentenced to 24 years in prison

40 years after Lynette went missing Chris Dawson was found guilty for her murder December 2, 2022 (pictured: Chris Dawson in 2022) and was sentenced to 24 years in prison

MailOnline take a look at the four reasons Chris Dawson was convicted for Lynette's murder

A former schoolgirl who was sexually abused by convicted wife killer Chris Dawson has settled her lawsuit against the state of New South Wales.

"- The woman says she was abused by Dawson while she was a pupil at a school in Sydney's northern beaches
- Dawson was found guilty of having unlawful sexual activity with an underage student
- Minister Prue Car praised the woman for her "courage throughout the process""

A former schoolgirl who was sexually abused by convicted wife killer Chris Dawson has settled her lawsuit against the state of New South Wales.

"- The woman says she was abused by Dawson while she was a pupil at a school in Sydney's northern beaches
- Dawson was found guilty of having unlawful sexual activity with an underage student
- Minister Prue Car praised the woman for her "courage throughout the process""
Would not surprise me if this decision, basically, a matter not even given the slightest chance of being adjudicated in Dawson's favour. and nowhere near leaving the NSW Govt ( Education Dept) with a leg to stand on in a court trial, did not open the gate to a few more suits of a similar nature, and not confined to Chris Dawson, either.

On Thursday, lawyers acting for Dawson appeared in the Court of Criminal Appeal after he launched an appeal against the verdict.

The court was told that his appeal would be heard over three days from May 13 next year.

Dawson has appealed on four grounds, including that the verdict was “unreasonable”, the court was told on Thursday.

In the Grounds of Appeal, Dawson’s lawyers argue the ex-footballer was subject to a “significant forensic disadvantage” because of the four decades between Lynette’s disappearance and the trial, meaning evidence and witnesses were no longer available.

In his judgment, Justice Harrison found that Dawson told several lies and said: “ I consider that these lies are evidence of Mr Dawson’s consciousness of guilt for the murder of Lynette Dawson.”

Dawson’s lawyers argue that it was wrong to infer that he displayed a consciousness of guilt.

As well, they argue that the verdict was “unreasonable” and not supported by the evidence.

They say that there was “inadequate” evidence to prove that Ms Dawson was not alive after January 9, 1982.

They further argue “on the whole of the evidence” it was “not open” to find beyond a reasonable doubt that Dawson was guilty.

Dawson will watch his appeal from prison via audio link and will be represented by senior public defender Belinda Rigg SC.

Terrific news that 'the schoolgirl' was able to be compensated by the New South Wales government but the spokesperson for the government completely missed the point here :

Education and Early Learning Minister Prue Car said she was "pleased" a settlement had been reached. Chris Dawson's conduct was reprehensible, and he is rightly serving a prison sentence," she said.

No argument regarding Chris Dawson's conduct but this hearing was about the New South Wales government's failures and the compensation paid was due to those failures. Something the government spokesperson has conveniently failed to mention. Your government failed 'the schoolgirl'. That's what you were sued for and that's why you are writing her a big cheque. Own it.

Terrific news that 'the schoolgirl' was able to be compensated by the New South Wales government but the spokesperson for the government completely missed the point here :

Education and Early Learning Minister Prue Car said she was "pleased" a settlement had been reached. Chris Dawson's conduct was reprehensible, and he is rightly serving a prison sentence," she said.

No argument regarding Chris Dawson's conduct but this hearing was about the New South Wales government's failures and the compensation paid was due to those failures. Something the government spokesperson has conveniently failed to mention. Your government failed 'the schoolgirl'. That's what you were sued for and that's why you are writing her a big cheque. Own it.
I think it was settled out of court because the arguments that the government lawyers were going to say were not exactly true. The arguments in this article from September were blaming the victim and no one told us. They didn't mention what was happening on school grounds. The students knew why didn't the teachers/principal.

I think it was settled out of court because the arguments that the government lawyers were going to say were not exactly true. The arguments in this article from September were blaming the victim and no one told us. They didn't mention what was happening on school grounds. The students knew why didn't the teachers/principal.

From memory, in one of The Teacher's Pet podcasts, Hedley interviewed the former principal of Cromer High School, the guy who was principal at the time all this was taking place. He actually admitted to knowing about what was taking place between Chris Dawson and JC, and said he issued a warning but made it sound like it was all too hard a thing to actually resolve.

That type of action, or more correctly inaction, from those with responsibility for the welfare of underage students like JC, is why the NSW government have had to settle financially with JC and will also likely have to settle with others whom the system has failed so completely and utterly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back