Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through my timeline and notes on Marion's case, I made a list of questions I hope the inquest can shed light on:

- Will the dentist who witnessed Marion's name change on 15 May 1997 be a called in as a witness?

- Did they ever find and interview the Doctor who saw Marion at a clinic at Grafton Shopping World on 13 August 1997, after she returned to Australia?

- Have they investigated in Luxembourg given that Marion's customs slip from 2 August 1997 states she was married, living in Luxembourg, had the occupation of home duties, and was only staying in Australia for three days to visit family, and had presumably intended to stay permanently in Luxembourg?

- Did they ever find the shipping container abandoned, a shipping receipt out of Australia, or into Luxembourg?

- Are the passenger lists available from when Marion travelled in and out of Australia? We've been told no other Remakel's have left or entered Australia since Marion, but it would be interesting to know if other surnames, like Schlesser, Noe or Jungblut are on the list.

- Will Graham Patrick Higgins be mentioned or be a witness? He used to work at the Commonwealth Bank, Byron Bay branch at the time Marion disappeared, and was convicted in 2006 for defrauding elderly and vulnerable customers.

- Did they investigate a possible link between the Commonwealth Bank branches in Byron Bay and Burleigh Heads? By this I mean, was there one staff member who worked at those branches on the days Marion's money was withdrawn?

- Will Graham Childs be a witness? He was the Senior Constable at Byron Bay Police who took Sally's missing person's report on 22 October 1997. He retired from the police force November 2002 and has since worked in sales for retirement village and resort property investment companies.

- As revealed in FOI emails, why did NSW Police tell AFP that Marion was seen in 2007? Moreover, why couldn’t Salvos missing persons team find any trace of Marion in 3 years, but police found it in the days after Sally made the initial missing persons report, and then said they re-made contact with her in 2007? Who exactly at NSW Police kept insisting they saw and spoke to Marion, two separate times and ten years apart?

- Will we learn more about the father of Marion's student who Marion liked or may have even dated? Some say he was a pilot for Cathay Pacific and others say he just liked to dress as a pilot (!?) Why was an adult just 'dressing as a pilot'? Is this Catch Me If You Can? Always thought this was very weird.

- Is there any more info on Marion's wallet being stolen before she left for the UK, and the women who was impersonating her?

- Will Luke Glover be called as a witness or be discussed as part of important circumstances surrounding Marion's life prior to her disappearance? According to other teachers, Luke was a bully. He accused Marion of inappropriately touching the children. It has since come to light that it was Luke who was allegedly abusing students at the school. Within a year of Luke starting at the school, 12 of 17 teachers resigned. Since Marion has gone missing, 15 people associated with the school, including students who were allegedly abused by Luke, have committed suicide.

- Did they reinvestigate the Crimestoppers tip about a woman named Marion who was killed and buried in bushland behind the University of New England in Armidale?

Anyone else have any piercing questions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Going through my timeline and notes on Marion's case, I made a list of questions I hope the inquest can shed light on:

- Will the dentist who witnessed Marion's name change on 15 May 1997 be a called in as a witness?

- Did they ever find and interview the Doctor who saw Marion at a clinic at Grafton Shopping World on 13 August 1997, after she returned to Australia?

- Have they investigated in Luxembourg given that Marion's customs slip from 2 August 1997 states she was married, living in Luxembourg, had the occupation of home duties, and was only staying in Australia for three days to visit family, and had presumably intended to stay permanently in Luxembourg?

- Did they ever find the shipping container abandoned, a shipping receipt out of Australia, or into Luxembourg?

- Are the passenger lists available from when Marion travelled in and out of Australia? We've been told no other Remakel's have left or entered Australia since Marion, but it would be interesting to know if other surnames, like Schlesser, Noe or Jungblut are on the list.

- Will Graham Patrick Higgins be mentioned or be a witness? He used to work at the Commonwealth Bank, Byron Bay branch at the time Marion disappeared, and was convicted in 2006 for defrauding elderly and vulnerable customers.

- Did they investigate a possible link between the Commonwealth Bank branches in Byron Bay and Burleigh Heads? By this I mean, was there one staff member who worked at those branches on the days Marion's money was withdrawn?

- Will Graham Childs be a witness? He was the Senior Constable at Byron Bay Police who took Sally's missing person's report on 22 October 1997. He retired from the police force November 2002 and has since worked in sales for retirement village and resort property investment companies.

- As revealed in FOI emails, why did NSW Police tell AFP that Marion was seen in 2007? Moreover, why couldn’t Salvos missing persons team find any trace of Marion in 3 years, but police found it in the days after Sally made the initial missing persons report, and then said they re-made contact with her in 2007? Who exactly at NSW Police kept insisting they saw and spoke to Marion, two separate times and ten years apart?

- Will we learn more about the father of Marion's student who Marion liked or may have even dated? Some say he was a pilot for Cathay Pacific and others say he just liked to dress as a pilot (!?) Why was an adult just 'dressing as a pilot'? Is this Catch Me If You Can? Always thought this was very weird.

- Is there any more info on Marion's wallet being stolen before she left for the UK, and the women who was impersonating her?

- Will Luke Glover be called as a witness or be discussed as part of important circumstances surrounding Marion's life prior to her disappearance? According to other teachers, Luke was a bully. He accused Marion of inappropriately touching the children. It has since come to light that it was Luke who was allegedly abusing students at the school. Within a year of Luke starting at the school, 12 of 17 teachers resigned. Since Marion has gone missing, 15 people associated with the school, including students who were allegedly abused by Luke, have committed suicide.

- Did they reinvestigate the Crimestoppers tip about a woman named Marion who was killed and buried in bushland behind the University of New England in Armidale?

Anyone else have any piercing questions?

Wow, great comprehensive and well researched list of questions there Peralta, good job .... h'mm, the only "piercing question" I'd like to add is did they find out whose phone number that was in the Le Courrier Australien ad .... that's a mystery within this mystery I'd like to have solved at the inquest, along with all the other unanswered questions.

No Cookies | The Cairns Post

Missing TSS teacher Marion Barter: Family hope for answers from inquest

There will be at least 19 witnesses. And the hearing will be divided between Sydney, Byron Bay and Ballina

Watch Max Futcher’s emotional interview with Sally Leydon on 7 News, tonight at 6pm.

Behind a paywall
Thanks Tootsie, I'll watch that tonight.

Final thoughts for tonight... While re-reading my notes, I realised that I have often been confused by the three separate but equally disturbing themes surrounding Marion’s disappearance:

- several known fraudsters living in the region and a romance scam involving Luxembourg
- corruption in the community including a bad egg or two at the bank and police
- something dodgy going on in and around the school involving powerful men and child abuse.

Which one is the most likely to have contributed to Marion’s disappearance?

I am reminded of The Keepers where it’s been impossible to find the one culpable party as so many people contributed to Sister Cathy Cesnik’s disappearance and ultimate death. They were:

- the men who did the deed
- the men who enabled it and helped hide it
- the man who orchestrated it all in order to silence her, he made the connections and blackmailed/paid people to participate so he never had to get his hands dirty or be blamed.

I do wonder if Marion’s case has a similar structure?

Are we sure it was Marion herself who returned to Australia? Has her handwriting been matched on the form she filled out?

Could she have met with foul play in England?

It's not 100% confirmed Marion herself returned to Australia. That's why bank and doctor are important witnesses as they are presumably the last to have 'seen' Marion.

However, Sally, podcast and their expert seem confident it's highly likely it's Marion's writing on the customs slip. There are a couple of things on the slip that were done by another hand... it could just be the customs official or whoever Marion was with, but generally, it is believed Marion did return.

Personally, I believe whoever Marion was with was forced to return because they couldn't access Marion's money due to wire transfer limitations, how Marion had set up her bank accounts, and her different names. I believe while she was in Aus withdrawing her money, she shipped her container. All speculation of course.

Oooh, in my questions recap, I forgot to mention the former employee at a timeshare business in Southport across from the Arts Centre.

The former employee processed wages and clearly remembers the name Remakel but not if it was a man or woman. I hope she's a witness :)

It's surprising that none of Marion's belongings have turned up anywhere, as far as we know.

Ie her personal things she had with her. Or her luggage.

Maybe they did turn up somewhere, they couldn't find her and dumped or sent her stuff to lost property auction or divided up by hotel staff somewhere. And it's so long ago no one would remember. Maybe the ones involved might have passed away.

It's surprising that none of Marion's belongings have turned up anywhere, as far as we know.

Ie her personal things she had with her. Or her luggage.

Maybe they did turn up somewhere, they couldn't find her and dumped or sent her stuff to lost property auction or divided up by hotel staff somewhere. And it's so long ago no one would remember. Maybe the ones involved might have passed away.

I remember it being said Marion had 4 suitcases with her when she was dropped off at the bus stop.

Sometime between late June and early July, Sally said Marion either wrote or spoke to her about putting some of her suitcases in storage and hiring a car so she could get around easier.

Perhaps Marion did not bring all 4 suitcases back to Australia when she was only going to have to lug them back again in three days? I'm assuming she thought she was going back to Europe as per customs slip. So maybe she only had one suitcase with her? It's a lot less conspicuous if it was 'gotten rid of' or found by a stranger.

Who knows where any of the four suitcases ended up? Scratch that... I have some idea where her stuff may have ended up :cool:

I think it might depend on what podcast site you're on.

Some episodes were said to go up at midnight but didn't actually get to the site I was hovering over until 7am if I remember correctly.

I think someone said it had gone up earlier on some sites, like Spotify.

Whatever I must remember to listen to it first before I come here, because by the time I listened, not much was new to me.

Episode comes out midnight according to The Lady Vanishes team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600