Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Can we discuss/speculate the reasons why they’re closing down comments on the fb page once the inquest starts. Alison says it’ll be obvious when it starts as to the reason why but I am VERY curious.

Any ideas?

I've been trying to think of why. I was also wondering if shutting down comments meant disabling ability to post (future) comment or were meant removing all comments prior. I don't have FB, so not sure if removing prior posts is even possible. But one thought is that something related to a FB poster/comment would be introduced as significant at the inquest. Would love to hear others ideas.

I am pretty sure this has been touched on before. But also find it very coincidental- a serialised story from the 1930s- likely available in some format in the 80s/90s. I wonder if a well read Marion, ever read , Saul and The Spinster- concerning a New South Wales police inspector and the female owned establishment called "Florabella" . By Aidan de Brune...

Saul and the Spinster

"No address was needed. Even essentially masculine Police Headquarters knew of "Florabella," the Mecca of every Australian woman—the leading modiste establishment of Sydney..."

Hey Puzzle! I can’t see this event is it still there?
Hey Mjjj14, yeah, it's listed under "Event" on the Missing Person Marion Barter FB page, and on the Lady Vanishes Facebook page they've just got this comment - "I have been advised that the inquest will be live streaming and I’ll make sure someone posts the link every day for those of you who want to join us." :)
Hi everyone!

Can we discuss/speculate the reasons why they’re closing down comments on the fb page once the inquest starts. Alison says it’ll be obvious when it starts as to the reason why but I am VERY curious.

Any ideas?
H'mm, that is interesting, good pick-up! I went back and had a look if they turned off comments for the inquest last year and it seems they did not, they just put out a bit of a caution in this comment from 2 July 2021:
"The inquest continues ... just a note though, we have to be very careful what is written in comments about any potential persons of interest in that they don't compromise the investigation or provoke any legal action which will hinder the inquest ..."

You're likely right as it seems that Marion did have a tendency to move around a lot, but whether she would have headed back to live again in a place she had already, am not sure. I should maybe have been a bit clearer. I mention the Blue Mountains, only to draw attention to the time she was there and the connection to the Florabella Pass. I don't think she neccessarily returned to that area- only that it held memories of places and people from a happier time in her life perhaps and that is where she thought of the name Florabella. Sally said she had never heard of the name ever, but she was likely not aware of this stretch in the Blue Mountains (unless of course it is a pass that didn't exist then..am not sure). It just seems too coincidental that it is 6 minutes away by car from where Marion taught at Springwood. Not too sure where in the Blue Mountains they actually lived? That is the only connection I can see to the name and of course- likely picked by Marion with it being a very flowery and elegant sounding name. Not neccessarily relative to solving the case, but just a case in point- Johnny Warrens' old friend John Economos who was interviewed early on in the podcast passed away in the last few months- I think he was at odds with Johnnys' brother as to how that marriage unravelled- he claimed Marion did NOT cheat on Johnny, but Johnny simply walked out and that Marion was devestated.

Aussie sports journo John Economos passes away, aged 78
I was unaware that John Economos had passed away, thanks for the info Sophie-Renee, he was a likeable fella with interesting stories about Marion and Johnny. I totally agree about the Florabella, 100% think it's connected to the Blue Mountains. Marion lived at Springwood and moved to Lapstone - married Ray Barter in Lapstone. In Episode 5 of the inquest Marion's sister Bronwen said that Marion told her that her relationship with Ray was the happiest six years of her life. Ray Barter may have memories of going there with Marion, or her mentioning it during their marriage, not sure if he's been asked about it but would be interesting to find out - also Stuart Brown, they were at Springwood, did they go there.
Re Florabella Pass, found some news articles referencing it as far back as 1925.

Attachments

• FlorabellaPass-Street.png
    FlorabellaPass-Street.png
    248 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I was unaware that John Economos had passed away, thanks for the info Sophie-Renee, he was a likeable fella with interesting stories about Marion and Johnny. I totally agree about the Florabella, 100% think it's connected to the Blue Mountains. Marion lived at Springwood and moved to Lapstone - married Ray Barter in Lapstone. In Episode 5 of the inquest Marion's sister Bronwen said that Marion told her that her relationship with Ray was the happiest six years of her life. Ray Barter may have memories of going there with Marion, or her mentioning it during their marriage, not sure if he's been asked about it but would be interesting to find out - also Stuart Brown, they were at Springwood, did they go there.
Re Florabella Pass, found some news articles referencing it as far back as 1925.

Thanks for the detail re Marions' time in the Blue Mountains. Lapstone did ring a bell , but wasn't sure if they had just been where they had got married or where they had lived aswell. It seems as though the Florabella Pass could well have been a very popular place for walkers in the area when Marion lived there. I wonder if she ever did much walking and exploring of the area or if more difficult with two small children. I definitely feel there would be much more to ask if they were able to interview Marions' connections now- but of course, that is difficult with an ongoing inquest. Yes, John Economos was quick to set the record straight on Marion and Johnnys' break up. I liked him and the way he expressively recounted those years, like they were yesterday. It was clear to me- although quite blunt- he had really wanted Marion and Johnny's relationship to work out. You could tell he cared about Marion- even when he spoke of her immaturity you could just tell he was fond of her all the same. The house he had called "Psycho" aswell ..he certainly seemed to be quite a character!

Hey Mjjj14, yeah, it's listed under "Event" on the Missing Person Marion Barter FB page, and on the Lady Vanishes Facebook page they've just got this comment - "I have been advised that the inquest will be live streaming and I’ll make sure someone posts the link every day for those of you who want to join us." :)

H'mm, that is interesting, good pick-up! I went back and had a look if they turned off comments for the inquest last year and it seems they did not, they just put out a bit of a caution in this comment from 2 July 2021:
"The inquest continues ... just a note though, we have to be very careful what is written in comments about any potential persons of interest in that they don't compromise the investigation or provoke any legal action which will hinder the inquest ..."
Super interesting! This must be it. Worried that comments could be defamatory.

Super interesting! This must be it. Worried that comments could be defamatory.

The thing that got me intrigued was that it said “you’ll understand why when it does” (meaning when the inquest starts). You’re probably right Puzzle, perhaps to do with defamation, I wonder if it’s in relation to FR or for some other person.

So aside from the obvious (finding out what happened to Marion), I still want to find out these things;

- did the flight manifests show who Marion sat next to on her flights to and from Australia?

- what on earth was the thing in the LA magazine? Was it remotely relevant?

Ah, I’m just so curious about the comments being disabled and the wording of their statement.

I feel like I need to relisten to the first part of the inquest to refresh my memory.

The thing that got me intrigued was that it said “you’ll understand why when it does” (meaning when the inquest starts). You’re probably right Puzzle, perhaps to do with defamation, I wonder if it’s in relation to FR or for some other person.

So aside from the obvious (finding out what happened to Marion), I still want to find out these things;

- did the flight manifests show who Marion sat next to on her flights to and from Australia?

- what on earth was the thing in the LA magazine? Was it remotely relevant?

Ah, I’m just so curious about the comments being disabled and the wording of their statement.

I feel like I need to relisten to the first part of the inquest to refresh my memory.

Are there any recent comments about FR on the FB page? If not, might suggest comments about him have been removed/prevented by page admin.

I agree, finding out who she may have traveled/flown with is super important.

Are there any recent comments about FR on the FB page? If not, might suggest comments about him have been removed/prevented by page admin.

I agree, finding out who she may have traveled/flown with is super important.
Hey Meligator, had a quick look at TLV page and seems FR comments from the past have been removed completely, h'mm, hard to find any mentioning the name Fernand, sooooooo there seems to have been a FR comment cull at some point - MOO. So, two possibilities here - it could mean FR has been found to have nothing whatsoever to do with Marion - in which case posters/commenters could possibly turn feral and lose the plot with their comments, hence all 21,000 of them are blocked from commenting - or FR has been found to have something to do with the case, which in turn could lead to posters expressing outrage against the said FR and turn positively feral too, h'mm, tricky to figure out. Or then there's (c), the turning off of comments has nothing to do with FR, someone else?
Agree, oh yes, that flight manifest could be the key to it all, who knows.

It really makes me wonder though that if it is FR related why would they leave his name in the podcast and then remove mention of him on the social media accounts?

It certainly feels like something has gone on behind the scenes!

Sorry for the second post in a row but can someone refresh my memory about a ‘moving truck outside of Marion’s house’? I just saw a comment from a few weeks ago on one of the social media posts asking for the latest details on this and Sally responded that she can’t comment on it until after the inquest.

Would that just be in reference to the ‘shipping container’? That was one of the reasons the inquest was adjourned, so that the police could do some further investigations as to what happened to her missing belongings. I do hope that means they’ve discovered what happened to them!

Sorry for the second post in a row but can someone refresh my memory about a ‘moving truck outside of Marion’s house’? I just saw a comment from a few weeks ago on one of the social media posts asking for the latest details on this and Sally responded that she can’t comment on it until after the inquest.

Would that just be in reference to the ‘shipping container’? That was one of the reasons the inquest was adjourned, so that the police could do some further investigations as to what happened to her missing belongings. I do hope that means they’ve discovered what happened to them!

The truck and the container are the same thing, the truck had he container on the back, they loaded it and the truck took the container to the storage facility

do you know if will be live streamed, I cant see a link for the streaming
If the livestreaming is going ahead the link will probably be established tomorrow before court commences. Missing Person Marion Barter FB page will be providing a link, it's on their page listed as an Event - or pick it up from the Coroner's inquest page. (If I can tune in for some I'll drop it down to 144p - uses less data, bit fuzzy but still sounds good :)

I subscribed to the Coroner's Court New South Wales on youtube and just received the link to the inquest. Sorry, it doesn't seem to link here, but it's set to go in 15 hours it says :) - and I'm getting a reminder bell tomorrow too, err, as if I need one;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member