Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey PI,

What's your take at this point, voluntarily missing or foul play?

I've listened to all 3 episodes and kudos to Alison, Brian and Sally for a very informative podcast.
There are so many intriguing aspects but my intuition tells me foul play and given that Sally had a wedding coming up I do not believe Marion wouldn't be in touch. MOO.
A few questions really stand out to me: Why did she change her name? Who was the mystery man at the bowser? Have the mystery Pilot father and the school maintenance man been interviewed? Is it possible to track the Arthur Boyd painting that is missing? What is the Armidale connection if any? Have any of the friends or Aunt in UK been interviewed?
The relentless pursuit of finding out what happened to her mother is amazing, Sally you are an incredible lady and you speak so well on the podcasts. I'd love to have some verified insiders here so that we can push this along and get some answers.

I've listened to all 3 episodes and kudos to Alison, Brian and Sally for a very informative podcast.
There are so many intriguing aspects but my intuition tells me foul play and given that Sally had a wedding coming up I do not believe Marion wouldn't be in touch. MOO.
A few questions really stand out to me: Why did she change her name? Who was the mystery man at the bowser? Have the mystery Pilot father and the school maintenance man been interviewed? Is it possible to track the Arthur Boyd painting that is missing? What is the Armidale connection if any? Have any of the friends or Aunt in UK been interviewed?
The relentless pursuit of finding out what happened to her mother is amazing, Sally you are an incredible lady and you speak so well on the podcasts. I'd love to have some verified insiders here so that we can push this along and get some answers.

So many questions.... I'm hoping some will eventually be answered in the very easy and well formed podcast. Hopefully things will get ironed out!

I think it could prove to be beneficial to the case if this thread picked up a bit given that it's an International site.

You've got to admire Sally, she has been relentlessly pushing through for years trying to get answers and I'm glad her efforts are finally raising the awareness that is needed to solve this!

I think foul play too....

Last edited:
It's quite bizarre and maddening that police haven't and aren't treating this as a proper missing person case given no use of bank accounts, Medicare card, passport or centrelink records. Unless she has had a mountain of cash stockpiled and her own personal doctor it doesn't add up!

I too have become fascinated and more than a little interested in this case. The change of Christian name to Florabella .... have had a look and there is only one Florabella Street in Australia and its in the Lower Blue Mountains not too far from where they lived at one point, there is also a primary school in that street ok so could she have remarried after that passport, stayed using the third name Marion but with new surname? Just a thought. Could a check be done of teachers named Marion in 1998 and onwards? Anyway, just some thoughts, probably a bit wacky, but anyway, am enjoying the podcast and thanks for starting this page

At this point I'm thinking she staged her own disappearance .... if you look at the new name, the last two, Marion Remakel - take off the l and you've got Marion remake - maybe the l could be for life, remake life?

I think maybe initially but I think it's possible that something untoward has eventually happened to her. I have seen discussion on one of the FB pages referring to 'Florabella' as the name of a design on some china that she liked.

Hi Inkpink, thanks for the update, very much appreciated :) Has it been confirmed that it was that design she liked, or is it just speculation by a Facebook follower? It is interesting though, and probably is the answer, makes sense for sure - however the Flora Bella for that pattern is two words, if you look at the bottom of one of the plates, etc, from Luxembourg ..... h'mm, so would she have maybe gone with that spelling, used the Bella in place of Natalia and gone with Flora Bella? The Luxembourg link though is quite compelling. Ah well, I still reckon it's pretty interesting that Florabella (one word) is around 4 kilometres away from the Springwood Primary School they attended, and there is also a Florabella Pass there. florabella.png Looking forward to the next podcast and more updates, someone will crack the case, there's nothing surer.

It's quite bizarre and maddening that police haven't and aren't treating this as a proper missing person case given no use of bank accounts, Medicare card, passport or centrelink records. Unless she has had a mountain of cash stockpiled and her own personal doctor it doesn't add up!
Yes inkpink, it's all so peculiar. Granted, the detail about Sally and the car money being mentioned by the bank employee is pretty interesting and would make you think it was her, Marion, then. But yes, the use of the Medicare just the once in Grafton, what's that all about ..... if you remarry can you share your partner's card and forfeit your old card number? Back in 1997 would it have been easier to disappear? From Byron Bay, down to Grafton, wonder where she was heading ..... such a mystery, my oh my ...

PS: I expect if there's any breaking news posted on the Facebook page or some new revelation by a poster it would be removed , edited maybe .... then researched behind the scenes and possibly make its way onto the podcast, just a theory, more power to them .... I think that's why a few things have vanished :)

Just listening to the bonus conversation that just landed in the pod box. Completely interesting. Also just stumbled across a post of Bill Edgar from 7/12/17 - h'mm, now I'm switching camps, am very worried now that the disappearance wasn't staged ...

Looking up the name Florabella in Ancestry and surprisingly there are quite a few, one example is a Florabella in the 1980 census in Peakhurst, I thought Marion had lived there for a time? Regardless just another thought she may have known a “Florabella “ at some time and liked the name.

My feeing is Marion did plan to disappear. Her sister and a ex husband thought it was quite possible. Oh course then the why?
Going of what we have heard on the podcast it seems very likely to do with the school. The headmaster was a intimidating bully amongst other questionable accusations. It seems she initially did get along with him but my theory is she saw, heard or found out something incriminating, she likely challenged him/them and then was accused herself. I think she was threatened and frightened. Others at the time said her normal personality changed. She was a dedicated teacher who resigned abruptly, sold her house within weeks at a large loss and gave away some of her antiques to her daughter. There was a man she didn’t tell her family about, again maybe some form of threat. Of course the biggest clue of all is the name change, such a strange name I wonder if she meant to leave some clue if something bad did happen to her? The other weird thing I’ve been thinking about is her being obsessed with getting the “scales” back to the school. *If* she had been threatened I’m thinking that was a sign to the school that she had done what they asked. Well, I know the theory is “out there” but anything is possible with this missing lady. I feel for her daughter and hope she gets some answers.

My feeing is Marion did plan to disappear. Her sister and a ex husband thought it was quite possible. Oh course then the why?
Going of what we have heard on the podcast it seems very likely to do with the school. The headmaster was a intimidating bully amongst other questionable accusations. It seems she initially did get along with him but my theory is she saw, heard or found out something incriminating, she likely challenged him/them and then was accused herself. I think she was threatened and frightened. Others at the time said her normal personality changed. She was a dedicated teacher who resigned abruptly, sold her house within weeks at a large loss and gave away some of her antiques to her daughter. There was a man she didn’t tell her family about, again maybe some form of threat. Of course the biggest clue of all is the name change, such a strange name I wonder if she meant to leave some clue if something bad did happen to her? The other weird thing I’ve been thinking about is her being obsessed with getting the “scales” back to the school. *If* she had been threatened I’m thinking that was a sign to the school that she had done what they asked. Well, I know the theory is “out there” but anything is possible with this missing lady. I feel for her daughter and hope she gets some answers.
Hi StarrChance, interesting theories and all quite possible. I must say I'm puzzled about the scales saga .... so they were in storage and Sally got them back to the school, but in the podcast it says no-one knows where the art and antiques were stored .... wouldn't they all be in the same place, I mean, she didn't have a house at that point. And yes, once we figure out the reason for name change we're on our way. I wonder how long it takes for a change of name to come through and to have new passport with name .... need to find out the date that all started I reckon and work from there ... and we don't have that info, do we? Maybe it was just a case of her wanting to disconnect entirely with her past marriages and her family name for something a little more unique? Wonder too if the pilot was able to help in some way, maybe he had links with customs, airports, could have made it easier. I think we need to hear from the maintenance man, the pilot and Lesley in the podcast - however that post from Bill Edgar does tell us a lot of what Lesley had to say if she doesn't wish to speak again for all to hear. Just a thought, if she was in trouble she could have told someone in a post card or some letter from overseas, why not do that? Also just another wacky thought, she may have been going through "the change" then too, was the age for it, which could have caused the mood changes, etc ... just a few ideas to add to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal