Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it on Trove, in the 10th of Feb 1994 edition. I am not sure if this link works? Advertising - Le Courrier Australien (Sydney, NSW : 1892 - 2011) - 10 Feb 1994

The name is M Pierre H de Gaye, located in Corinda. I noticed also it was another PO Box, which although not super rare, was somewhat unusual of the ads I saw (many either put just a phone number or had the address c/o of the newspaper)

Re the studying; my French is pretty bad, from some Googling I think it can perhaps also be used as "academic" so perhaps it was used like that. It struck me though because M. F. Remakel used the same word in his ad, as well.
Welcome to websleuths! This is super interesting IMO and worth further investigation and maybe passing on the TLV tip line as another possible alias.

I found it on Trove, in the 10th of Feb 1994 edition. I am not sure if this link works? Advertising - Le Courrier Australien (Sydney, NSW : 1892 - 2011) - 10 Feb 1994

The name is M Pierre H de Gaye, located in Corinda. I noticed also it was another PO Box, which although not super rare, was somewhat unusual of the ads I saw (many either put just a phone number or had the address c/o of the newspaper)

Re the studying; my French is pretty bad, from some Googling I think it can perhaps also be used as "academic" so perhaps it was used like that. It struck me though because M. F. Remakel used the same word in his ad, as well.

I believe the translation is an academic living in Brisbane, not a university student living in Brisbane

I believe the translation is an academic living in Brisbane, not a university student living in Brisbane

oh excellent find !

Feb 1994

MAN 54 years old, academic
living in Brisbane, location
excellent economy, looking for
French lady speaking English,
frank and dynamic, to explore
possibility of living together; widow or
divorced acceptable, no objection
children if adults and independent.
Write and send photo to Mr. Pierre
H. de GAYE, P.O. Box 241,
CORINDA, Queensland 4075.

"franche" means frank, sincere, straight, straightforward, honest, open, plain, fair

"dynamique"means vigorous, tough, drastic, strong, stout, powerful, robust, forceful, energetic, potent

I don’t either. What I’ve gathered is that there are some sites where perhaps the current URL was previously used as something else. But the old content - the ‘something else’ no longer shows up? Like at some point maybe that site had a mention of RLW but that content has been lost in the archiving process. Dunno, that might be wrong but I can’t figure out how else the search results get triggered sometimes.

IMO RB makes the changes over the years but forgets some of them.

Are you going to send it to the tip line for The Lady Vanishes, ikarka? If not, someone should today.

I am happy to but not really sure how to do it! Had a quick look on the FB and couldn't see the contact details. Does anyone have a link?

PS thanks to those with far superior French translation skills to I!

oh excellent find !

Feb 1994

MAN 54 years old, academic
living in Brisbane, location
excellent economy, looking for
French lady speaking English,
frank and dynamic, to explore
possibility of living together; widow or
divorced acceptable, no objection
children if adults and independent.
Write and send photo to Mr. Pierre
H. de GAYE, P.O. Box 241,
CORINDA, Queensland 4075.

Note that RB asks the female to write to him and send a photo. Women not used to answering ads would probably give them their address, phone number, where they work, whether they have adult children and so on. RB then has the opportunity to drive past their house, stalk them for a while and responds when he has a plan which could be years later.

In Feb 1994, did Marion have a partner?

January 18: Marion purchases a home at 15 Merinda Court Ashmore for $180,000 to start her new role of heading up the reception class at The Southport School.

December: Sally moves to Southport to live with her mother.

Note that RB asks the female to write to him and send a photo. Women not used to answering ads would probably give them their address, phone number, where they work, whether they have adult children and so on. RB then has the opportunity to drive past their house, stalk them for a while and responds when he has a plan which could be years later.

In Feb 1994, did Marion have a partner?

January 18: Marion purchases a home at 15 Merinda Court Ashmore for $180,000 to start her new role of heading up the reception class at The Southport School.

December: Sally moves to Southport to live with her mother.

I don't think ad is linked to Marion directly but I think there is a high chance this is also him. May help the police track complaints and other victims if they have that name "Mr. Pierre H. de GAYE" to run checks on

I am happy to but not really sure how to do it! Had a quick look on the FB and couldn't see the contact details. Does anyone have a link?

PS thanks to those with far superior French translation skills to I!

This tip line is for people with information about what happened to Marion to share it directly and anonymously with The Lady Vanishes team.

If you have suggestions, theories or comments, please go to our Facebook page The Lady Vanishes or email us at theladyvanishes@seven.com.au

RESTOPUB - 0406096933 - Belgium

Get access!
RESTOPUB Belgian company, has 1 subdivion. Was founded on December 13, 1968 with identification number 0406096933 based on 8400, Oostende, Koningin Astridlaan, 7.
Details

Registry number 2.002.314.877

NameRESTOPUB

Registered Address 8400, Oostende, Koningin Astridlaan, 7

Paid share capital 1.500.000,00 BEF

Annual assembly March

End date financial year 31 December

VAT
Pays VAT No

Go to link and check out that page and info then go to related by address ?
I am still going .........:)

Edit ..i think the address is the only connection but one of them is pipes (did someone mention a patent for pipes )

Share hold price was interesting . I also tink he changed to FDH alone in 2021 for a very good reason (re investigation or he was worried about connecting all names if he was )

RESTOPUB - 0406096933 - Belgium

Get access!
RESTOPUB Belgian company, has 1 subdivion. Was founded on December 13, 1968 with identification number 0406096933 based on 8400, Oostende, Koningin Astridlaan, 7.
Details

Registry number 2.002.314.877

NameRESTOPUB

Registered Address 8400, Oostende, Koningin Astridlaan, 7

Paid share capital 1.500.000,00 BEF

Annual assembly March

End date financial year 31 December

VAT
Pays VAT No

Go to link and check out that page and info then go to related by address ?
I am still going .........:)

Edit ..i think the address is the only connection but one of them is pipes (did someone mention a patent for pipes )

Share hold price was interesting . I also tink he changed to FDH alone in 2021 for a very good reason (re investigation or he was worried about connecting all names if he was )

Related Companies (By Address)
8400, Oostende, Koningin Astridlaan, 7

Welcome to Websleuths Ikarka, and what a great find!

So the search is on now to find all the ads he may have placed. So far, we have:

Feb 1994 from Pierre H de Gaye from Corinda, Brisbane placed in Le Courier Australien where he uses the word, "universitaire" using a PO Box

Dec 1994 Ad Courier Australien where F Remakel uses the word "universitaire" and gives a Ballina business phone number and says he lives at Lennox Head.

1997 Ad from Marion Gold Coast Bulletin
Does anyone have the details of this ad?

IMO the first two are a match not just because of "universitaire" but other details too.

I don't have the link to the second ad but I copied the whole page of ads and pasted it in my notes.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the value of the con's use of unusual names that belong to other people? What is the point of that? It would seem a con man would use common names.

Disclaimer: I'm not a con, so I can't speak to RB's experience :p But... he uses what he has access to.

The best fake IDs are real. I assume he is taking existing IDs and documents, and altering them slightly to create new aliases. The evidence is that many of his names are simply variations of previous IDs he's had access to.

Why those names in particular? I suspect he is stealing them overseas, altering them and using them here, and vice versa.

I don't know if he is also stealing wallets, homes, financial and real estate records, but some of these names might be altered from previous victims. I don't doubt he tried to use JO and Marion's documents to make new aliases for himself (and accomplice), to use overseas.

He also sometimes uses deed poll to change his name. So yes, he could chose ANY name. I can only assume he has stolen real documents in these names, overseas. Like Richard Lloyd Westbury. I suspect he stole that name or something like it, overseas. Once in Aus, he changes his name by deed poll so he can get an Aussie passport, so now he has (potentially) bank records and title deeds overseas in those names, plus an Aussie passport as photo ID to prove legitimacy. IDK, something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I ask if anyone has ever seen a photo of Marion smiling ?
I have been meaning to bring this up before as I saw ONE in the last few weeks but cannot find it again .

The reason i ask is in all photos of Marion through her life she has her mouth closed .( I have a friend who does this because she has never liked her teeth smile .
When i saw this photo i remember thinking she had a rather unusual set of teeth
Anyone see it ? As she would likely different or more recognizable if you saw her teeth when smiling as her smile was unique ??

If he is Mr. Pierre H de GAYE, how funny that he has a habit of posing as someone of noble background (de Hedervary).

'de' and 'von' means 'from' and implies the family comes from aristocratic beginnings. Back in the day, you were given a first name and your last name was 'from' where your family was from and had been for centuries - either name of the estate they owned or the region they ruled.

I bet he later also used Degaye as he did Dehedervary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member