Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did she meet many friends and mothers who spoke her chosen English? Did she have her own vehicle because she wanted to drive on the left hand side of the road?

Did she do any work including voluntary work? Did she help out at the playgroup or school? Or did she sit at home hidden away from the world?

The only person in Burwash who has come forward is the neighbour who was interviewed recently in The Australian, and who says she suspected RB was drug-dealing. Clearly he's a bizarre and malevolent person, but his crimes always seem to be based in the more prosaic and hide-in-plain-sight worlds of middle-aged dating, small businesses and coin-collecting, not drug-running. It was interesting to get a snapshot of their domestic life from that witness and to draw our own conclusions from it, but I am not sure their ideas about drug-smuggling bear much examination.

It's hard to know how much information about the investigation has been disseminated in Burwash, especially among women who are her contemporaries and who still live there. Amateur sleuths have joined various Burwash FB groups and asked pointed questions and posted photos, including myself, but there doesn't seem to be much engagement. There was an article in the Burwash parish magazine that I shared here way back, but the chap who wrote it told me he had zero responses. I think there is still work to be done there.

Last edited:
The only person in Burwash who has come forward is the neighbour who was interviewed recently in The Australian, and who says she suspected RB was drug-dealing. Clearly he's a bizarre and malevolent person, but his crimes always seem to be based in the more prosaic and hide-in-plain-sight worlds of middle-aged dating, small businesses and coin-collecting, not drug-running. It was interesting to get a snapshot of their domestic life from that witness and to draw our own conclusions from it, but I am not sure their ideas about drug-smuggling bear much examination.

It's hard to know how much information about the investigation has been disseminated in Burwash, especially among women who are her contemporaries and who still live there. Amateur sleuths have joined various Burwash FB groups and asked pointed questions and posted photos, including myself, but there doesn't seem to be much engagement. There was an article in the Burwash parish magazine that I shared here way back, but the chap who wrote it told me he had zero responses. I think there is still work to be done there.
In 1978 there is a conviction in Tournai for importation and possession of hashish on his record (see MPMB FB post on 10 Dec 2022) so he could well have been conducting some kind of drug smuggling operation while in Burwash. The neighbour said he would disappear overnight and return in the mornings. Agree that there really needs to be more coverage of this case in the mainstream media in the UK. There have to be more people than just the one neighbour with stories to tell.

PressReader has the below issue re Marion. But you need a free account to read it, or can login using Google, Twitter or Facebook. It's not in English.

Luxemburger Wort - 2023-03-22 - PressReader

Oh I didn't see til after I posted that it seems to be just a 7 day free trial

Did the neighbour say both he and the truck disappeared overnight.
I was thinking that if sometimes he was there when the truck was gone, then he may have had someone else helping him in whatever was going on.
Yes, it’s not clear from the article in the Australian whether he always went with the truck. All it said was that the truck was parked on the neighbour’s farm and that it used to disappear overnight and come back early in the morning. It also said that he was a frequent traveller. I guess if the truck was parked on the neighbour’s property, the neighbour may have seen who was usually in the truck. Let’s hope the neighbour has provided more detailed information that isn’t ready for publication due to the active investigation

In 1978 there is a conviction in Tournai for importation and possession of hashish on his record (see MPMB FB post on 10 Dec 2022) so he could well have been conducting some kind of drug smuggling operation while in Burwash. The neighbour said he would disappear overnight and return in the mornings. Agree that there really needs to be more coverage of this case in the mainstream media in the UK. There have to be more people than just the one neighbour with stories to tell.
I sent a message to lazy masquerade to see if he can do a story on it. He's on YouTube, but he's pretty popular and asked him to tell his viewers to ask their neighbours and nanna's about him! Hopefully he can help spread the word!

Found this photo from 1985 of Burwash High Street next to The Bear Pub which is less than a mile (18 minute walk) from where they lived that year.

I wonder who that tall guy is in the photo carrying something in his arm in such a quiet village?

There was a little Antiques shop right next to the The Bear pub called Lime Tree Antiques 0B45DC18-CCD0-4B71-86DB-02FFC46A815D.jpeg

Lets hope so @Lord Peter Flimsy

I am VERY interested in what Diane says this time around if called up again.

I dont sit in the coercive control team, she is a player in this game, lied on the stand last time, knows why they move, puts money before all else.
I sent a bunch of research to SL recently and it was sent onto her investigation team.

This isnt a one man operation. He is a true mongrel dog.

I agree with your assessment JMO

I appreciate they haven't perpetrated the horror of murder sprees (probably) but I perceive them as *perceiving themselves* as some kind of outlaw couple along the lines of Ma Baker & hubby, or Bonny and Clyde or Rose & Fred, Myra Hindley & Ian Brady. Appreciate those are (probably) grim and horrific exaggerated characterisations and again, I'm in no way saying they were on that level of crime and murder but the type of relationship maybe.

MOO

Found this photo from 1985 of Burwash High Street next to The Bear Pub which is less than a mile (18 minute walk) from where they lived that year.

I wonder who that tall guy is in the photo carrying something in his arm in such a quiet village?

There was a little Antiques shop right next to the The Bear pub called Lime Tree Antiques View attachment 410497
You are so right, I just did an image search for antique shops and there are so many in all the towns and villages. A perfect setup for a thief to bring European antiques and off load them in UK.
Wonder if the antique shop owners remember AKA family.

Does anyone remember the name of a person who RB tried to apply for a name change in Queensland but was rejected. The first name was Zabadiah or something similar?

Does anyone remember the name of a person who RB tried to apply for a name change in Queensland but was rejected. The first name was Zabadiah or something similar?

A link to the thread when we first heard about the Z name.

And his reason for wanting the name Zabdiel or Zabdeel Zilly

“Each letter of this name is a principle by which I want to live the rest of my life. Today we often need guidance particularly when we suffer anxiety or feel alienated from nature and divorced from the meaning of life. Understanding and using these principles is key to personal transformation and new ways of living”

"

You are so right, I just did an image search for antique shops and there are so many in all the towns and villages. A perfect setup for a thief to bring European antiques and off load them in UK.
Wonder if the antique shop owners remember AKA family.
I do have the names of the owners of the antiques shop in Burwash in the 1980s. Obviously I can’t publish them on the thread and I’m not sure if they are still alive? I’d be surprised if he and Mrs Aka didn’t pay them a visit more than once or twice.

I do have the names of the owners of the antiques shop in Burwash in the 1980s. Obviously I can’t publish them on the thread and I’m not sure if they are still alive? I’d be surprised if he and Mrs Aka didn’t pay them a visit more than once or twice.
What more perfect way to transport contraband (drugs, stolen coins) than in a van full of dusty antiques? Pefect cover story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase