Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great question, although I don't have an answer because I do think DdH is one of his victims. I think probably everyone he meets in any area of life is to a certain extent his victim.

With the benefit of hindsight, I just watched Day 4 of the inquest again, the JO evidence. What struck me is how the tone and delivery of her evidence is so similar to DdH's. JO's nightmare is 20+ years behind her, unlike DdH who is still in deep, but she had clearly never felt willing or able to reflect on her dreadful and cruel experiences in 1999. She didn't appear to have ever wondered how RB had so easily and cruelly persuaded her to give him her money, her time, her body, her power of attorney, her house potentially, or why she was led to agree to the absurd Bali/Europe trip with no plans, no money, no tourism itinerary, no nothing. Poor woman came across like a un-deprogrammed cult member, even all these years later. AC asked her a few times whether she had queried anything, or wondered about anything, and no she didn't at the time and appeared to have never done so since. I clocked that AC also slightly lost his cool at least once with a rather sarcastic "Thank you" when she finally answered a question after a lot of wandering.

Interestingly, what she doesn't say sometimes makes her evidence all the more powerful. Her rather blank and naive account of being abandoned in the UK with no money, then her scrambled return to Australia and seeing RB again, with no reflections or conclusions about what was going down, had me on the edge of my seat. During this evidence SL's face several times showed her anger and disbelief at what she was hearing.

It's heartbreaking to see the long-term effects of RB's crimes on JO and the others, and how skilfully he selected his victims for their combination of vulnerability, passivity and wealth. Revenge in the form of prosecution will be cathartic for them, but I hope they get some good therapy and are able to meet with other victims.
Love this comment.

It’s beyond comical how he forgets so much at the inquest but can remember he paid £210 (or was it £110) for JOs train journey from Dover Priory station to Manchester (just how gallant!).

Does he keep criminal accounts to remember something like that dating back nearly 23 years? Perhaps he thought he could claim the train fare back as business expenses?!!

It’s beyond comical how he forgets so much at the inquest but can remember he paid £210 (or was it £110) for JOs train journey from Dover Priory station to Manchester (just how gallant!).

Does he keep criminal accounts to remember something like that dating back nearly 23 years? Perhaps he thought he could claim the train fare back as business expenses?!!
yes and lets not forget he had no idea when his 'mother' died.....

Yes as mentioned again yesterday “the mother”. Surely a giveaway unless he despised her intensely
"the mother" might just be a language thing..German friends often referred to their parents as 'the' instead of 'my' and some in UK still refer to their spouse as 'the wife' (although I personally find that offensive :confused:). Having said that, it seems hard to find any evidence that RB has true feelings for anyone.

Premonition of burial site sparked search for missing teacher

Police searched a rural area of NSW for the grave of missing teacher Marion Barter after a man reported a vision of where she was buried.

Police checked a rural area of NSW for the grave of missing teacher Marion Barter after a man said he had a “premonition” and knew where she was buried.

Documents provided to an ongoing inquest into Barter’s suspected death reveal police have received a series of tip offs about her possible location.

In one instance, a man attended Penrith police station on May 8, 2019, after seeing a photograph of the mother-of-two in a magazine.

The man provided a precise location for the gravesite, off an unnamed road near Auburn Vale Rd, Auburn Vale, 570km northwest of Sydney.

“(He) stated he experience (sic) a premonition and knows where the body is buried,” a police report states.
More than two years later, Detective Senior Constable Timothy Atkins from Inverell police station followed up on the report at the request of NSW homicide squad detectives investigating Barter’s disappearance.

Constable Atkins said in a sworn statement that he went to a working farm on the outskirts of Inverell on June 23, 2021, and spoke to one of the property’s owners.

The woman had never noticed any irregularities near a bend in their driveway, “but at present the grass is long”, his statement reads.

“She stated that during the severe drought which has just past (sic), the area was just dirt and they did not notice anything unusual in the area,” Constable Atkins stated.

“I then drove down the driveway to the GPS coordinates as provided in (the) information report. I looked around the area and the spot as indicated in the report.”

Constable Atkins was “unable to locate anything of interest” while walking along the edge of the driveway and fence line. He attached eight photographs of the area to his statement.

“I did not notice any depressions in the ground that may resemble a burial site,” he stated.

There has been no trace of Barter since 1997, when she quit her job at The Southport School on the Gold Coast, sold her home, secretly changed her name and withdrew large sums of cash.

It has since been revealed she had a relationship before she vanished with convicted conman Ric Blum, who has been accused of deceiving and stealing from women around the world. Mr Blum, now 83 and living in Ballina in northern NSW, denies any involvement in the disappearance.

Police have received reports of possible sightings of Barter at various locations, inquest documents show. In NSW, these include at a Seventh Day Adventist Op Shop in Mullumbimby, as well as sites in Riverwood, Tyalgum, the Byron Bay hinterland, Campbelltown and Coffs Harbour.

There have also been reports of possible sightings in Margate in Tasmania and in Perth. None were confirmed sightings, and police “proof of life” checks have found no sign of Barter for more than 25 years.

Detective Senior Constable Sasha Pinazza from the NSW homicide squad said in a statement provided to the inquest that a long list of checks had been conducted with state, federal and international authorities.

These include checks with the Australian Taxation Office, Australian Electoral Commission, Australian Border Force and state births, deaths and marriages registries and on driver’s licence and traffic records. NSW State Coroner Teresa O’Sullivan, presiding over the inquest, will hold new hearings in May.

"the mother" might just be a language thing..German friends often referred to their parents as 'the' instead of 'my' and some in UK still refer to their spouse as 'the wife' (although I personally find that offensive :confused:). Having said that, it seems hard to find any evidence that RB has true feelings for anyone.
Possibly although DdeH did say at the inquest his ‘mother’ is his aunt!

Premonition of burial site sparked search for missing teacher

Police searched a rural area of NSW for the grave of missing teacher Marion Barter after a man reported a vision of where she was buried.

Police checked a rural area of NSW for the grave of missing teacher Marion Barter after a man said he had a “premonition” and knew where she was buried.

Documents provided to an ongoing inquest into Barter’s suspected death reveal police have received a series of tip offs about her possible location.

In one instance, a man attended Penrith police station on May 8, 2019, after seeing a photograph of the mother-of-two in a magazine.

The man provided a precise location for the gravesite, off an unnamed road near Auburn Vale Rd, Auburn Vale, 570km northwest of Sydney.

“(He) stated he experience (sic) a premonition and knows where the body is buried,” a police report states.
More than two years later, Detective Senior Constable Timothy Atkins from Inverell police station followed up on the report at the request of NSW homicide squad detectives investigating Barter’s disappearance.

Constable Atkins said in a sworn statement that he went to a working farm on the outskirts of Inverell on June 23, 2021, and spoke to one of the property’s owners.

The woman had never noticed any irregularities near a bend in their driveway, “but at present the grass is long”, his statement reads.

“She stated that during the severe drought which has just past (sic), the area was just dirt and they did not notice anything unusual in the area,” Constable Atkins stated.

“I then drove down the driveway to the GPS coordinates as provided in (the) information report. I looked around the area and the spot as indicated in the report.”

Constable Atkins was “unable to locate anything of interest” while walking along the edge of the driveway and fence line. He attached eight photographs of the area to his statement.

“I did not notice any depressions in the ground that may resemble a burial site,” he stated.

There has been no trace of Barter since 1997, when she quit her job at The Southport School on the Gold Coast, sold her home, secretly changed her name and withdrew large sums of cash.

It has since been revealed she had a relationship before she vanished with convicted conman Ric Blum, who has been accused of deceiving and stealing from women around the world. Mr Blum, now 83 and living in Ballina in northern NSW, denies any involvement in the disappearance.

Police have received reports of possible sightings of Barter at various locations, inquest documents show. In NSW, these include at a Seventh Day Adventist Op Shop in Mullumbimby, as well as sites in Riverwood, Tyalgum, the Byron Bay hinterland, Campbelltown and Coffs Harbour.

There have also been reports of possible sightings in Margate in Tasmania and in Perth. None were confirmed sightings, and police “proof of life” checks have found no sign of Barter for more than 25 years.

Detective Senior Constable Sasha Pinazza from the NSW homicide squad said in a statement provided to the inquest that a long list of checks had been conducted with state, federal and international authorities.

These include checks with the Australian Taxation Office, Australian Electoral Commission, Australian Border Force and state births, deaths and marriages registries and on driver’s licence and traffic records. NSW State Coroner Teresa O’Sullivan, presiding over the inquest, will hold new hearings in May.
When they say ‘international authorities’ I hope this includes the UK, Belgium, France, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Republic of Ireland, Algeria, Indonesia & Hungary!

The last thing this case needs is psychics or people with premonitions.

But very interesting that the journalist appears to have access to the brief of evidence. Is that normal?

She isnt his mother

Life’s a funny thing ain’t it?! Doing some other work on French stuff and one thing led to another remembering the words of the 1973 winning Eurovision song in French «Tu te reconnaîtras ». Couldn’t remember who sang it. Off to Wikipedia and it’s Anne-Marie DAVID who was born in Casablanca! Anne-Marie David - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Life’s a funny thing ain’t it?! Doing some other work on French stuff and one thing led to another remembering the words of the 1973 winning Eurovision song in French «Tu te reconnaîtras ». Couldn’t remember who sang it. Off to Wikipedia and it’s Anne-Marie DAVID who was born in Casablanca! Anne-Marie David - Wikipedia
Representing Luxembourg! Actually unrelated but I would add Morocco to the list of international authorities for enquiries to be made.

Representing Luxembourg! Actually unrelated but I would add Morocco to the list of international authorities for enquiries to be made.
I agrée! I was looking into Morocco and Roger Lauzoney (and it’s various spellings) for a while as, IMO, like other names it is one of those « transposed letters, substitute letters » names that AKA is so fond of and again IMO must have come from some encounter or another. Most likely the origin was « Lauzon », which pops up most often including one in ancestry records with a link to Morocco. I posted about my findings way back (which probably can be found through the search bar for any newbies interested).

EDIT: I’ll attach a screenshot again FYI and to save y’all searching!

Attachments

• E249BF11-E7AC-4CDF-9B7D-0CFB44E006E5.jpeg
    E249BF11-E7AC-4CDF-9B7D-0CFB44E006E5.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 58
I saw this on MPMB

A random Sunday morning request. "A Treatise on White Magic" by Alice Bailey circa 1934. Has anyone got an interest in the author & can give a summary of this piece of writing & the intent of her writing please ? We understand that it may be to do with occult practices.

We can't say anymore about why we are asking at this time, but it is not a wild goose chase or a fanciful idea - it is a genuine question based on some firm information we have. Just trying to shortcut delving in if someone here is already has knowledge.

Thanks, Joni

#ittakesavillage #justiceformarion #happysunday
Another turn in the case?? Hopefully someone knows something about it

I saw this on MPMB

A random Sunday morning request. "A Treatise on White Magic" by Alice Bailey circa 1934. Has anyone got an interest in the author & can give a summary of this piece of writing & the intent of her writing please ? We understand that it may be to do with occult practices.

We can't say anymore about why we are asking at this time, but it is not a wild goose chase or a fanciful idea - it is a genuine question based on some firm information we have. Just trying to shortcut delving in if someone here is already has knowledge.

Thanks, Joni

Curiouser and curiouser.

I saw this on MPMB

Thanks, Joni

Joni has since added an edit to the FB post, "Edit to add : Marion isn't connected to this book, it is something that has come up with another woman."

I'm still so curious where this line of enquiry has come from. What a strange, esoteric reference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304