Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we allowed to sleuth her / this situation?

Something is very wrong here and it's the only thing we've got.

Why would a retired bank manager insert herself into such a situation looking for reward money, seems very unlikely to me? However, would they be motivated to cover up making a grave error that was breach of banking conduct?

Can a person be stripped of their pension if they did something that means they should have been sacked before their retirement?
Memory is a funny thing, in fact barristers debate for days on end about memory sometimes. JH said she saw the billboard and it rung a bell and prior to that hadn’t thought of the interaction (paraphrasing her evidence not a direct quote). The police on their own website advertising the rewards say that they want to hear from people with any tips even if the information seems small or insignificant. It’s entirely possible that JH saw a woman and thought it best to tell police just incase it was Marion.

The bank evidence was hard for the podcast to ascertain and was also difficult to get straight at the inquest back at the earlier tranches. Different bank employees through the course of the podcast have had different interpretations of the procedures back then.

IMO there’s nothing to suggest anyone at the bank did anything wrong at all.

Many people. even those with families kill themselves and don't leave a note.
And many don't tell anyone. Even people thought of as strong often don't act like family or friends would expect.

Everyone is different.

I can't say for certain if RB killed her. We don't have the evidence so far to know for sure.
I can't say that he didn't. Once again we don't have the evidence to know for sure.

I believe he is responsible for her disappearing

Regarding what became of Marion in terms of voluntary disappearance v taking her own life v being murdered by RB or someone he hired to do the job, I guess we can only look at the likelihoods of each scenario and how they would play out over time, referencing the people who knew Marion the best, and how each scenario could end up with her remains never having been found.

Incorporating maybe statistics that someone who is actuarial scientist could be best suited to.

How many woman of Marion's age, with two adult children, wider friends and family, a solid career background and a profession, plenty of money in the bank, take their own life in a manner that means they are never traced again?

Versus how many women are murdered by financially exploitative criminal abusers with 'different brains' and never seen again?

What methods of suicide do most middle aged women use?

What method of murder do most financially exploitative criminal abusers with 'different brains' usually use and what do they usually do with their victim?

What clues do we have to support each argument?

etc, on and on. There are always anomalies but there is also the statistical likelihoods.

MOO is no way would M take her own life. She had her children to think of. She had yet more money in the bank and no doubt a very healthy pension pot. She had a solid professional career that she could return to anytime. Yes she may well have been humiliated, ashamed, embarrassed, but she could have covered up in other ways, just come back and said I've made different plans. She could have paid to go on a women's retreat or gone and lived with Buddhists or Hare Krishna or taken herself off anywhere in the world for some tender loving care and recovery.

Did M have spiritual beliefs? People with strong spiritual beliefs tend to turn to their god and spiritual advisors in times of crisis, not take their life. JMO MOO

Like many I was really disappointed yet again by the inquest. I dread to think what Sally is feeling.

It is pointless asking him questions. It’s like nailing custard to the wall.

It’s now up to the Police and forensic accountants to delve deeper into his and his families wealth and financial transactions.

Being a pathological liar should not exempt you from being brought to criminal justice. Just get on with it as the process is so painfully slow and totally unfair on Sally.
nailing custard to the wall… lmao

When someone is suicidal they are not usually thinking about other people, they just want the pain they are in to stop.

I know, from experience :(

I agree and I can totally understand how M would have been that distraught - she had gone several steps into RB's scam more than the ones we know about thus far.

She had sold her house, changed her name, travelled with him, kept it all secret from her children, possibly handed over the bulk of her entire life savings or at least had it stolen. Maybe like GDD, she believed she'd invested the money for a wedding, for her children's future, into a future home in Europe, or in buying a small school in the UK, who knows. The pain of having gone through all of that whirlwind romance crashing into betrayal, theft, and deceit would have been soul destroying and crushing. I can easily imagine the torment and it breaks my heart.

However, as she was a teacher, I find it a bit unlikely she wouldn't have turned to some form of outside help in a crisis, even professional services. Also the police?

I find it more unlikely again that she would have ended her life in a way that not one single person ever came to find a clue of.

My suspicion, she went so far down the line, he had all her money that he knew of but she was *still physically there in existence* and asking awkward questions. What to do?

Soooooo much evidence about his character which indicates he had everything to do with her death. Just listen to his OWN words...!!!

'if you come after me you will have me to deal with ' ... GDD was threatened, they were all threatened..

Even his own daughter was convinced he was attempting to poison her! The other murdered victims obviously aren't here to speak for themselves!

Last edited:
Soooooo much evidence about his character which indicates he had everything to do with her death. Just listen to his OWN words...!!!

'if you come after me you will have me to deal with ' ... GDD was threatened, they were all threatened..

Even his own daughter was convinced he was attempting to poison her! The other murdered victims obviously aren't here to speak for themselves!
You said: "Even his own daughter was convinced he was attempting to poison her"

I have not heard this before so could you please supply the link?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I remember his estranged daughter saying she went to police with a bottle of champagne he gave her after talking to her about poison. The bottle had been tampered with. The police blew her off. ‍♂️

IIRC it was the daughter whom RB said he couldn't recall the name of

At some point in her life she had made contact with him and he had visited her in her home town and gifted her a bottle of champagne but the foil or the seal looked tampered with and she had reason to believe he may be attempting to poison her. She took the bottle to her local police but they didn't take her seriously, she doesn't know what became of it.

I don't know where one would find a link to this info, apologies

IIRC it was the daughter whom RB said he couldn't recall the name of

At some point in her life she had made contact with him and he had visited her in her home town and gifted her a bottle of champagne but the foil or the seal looked tampered with and she had reason to believe he may be attempting to poison her. She took the bottle to her local police but they didn't take her seriously, she doesn't know what became of it.

I don't know where one would find a link to this info, apologies
There is no link. It was in the podcast. But yes, that was what was stated within that episode. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member