Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

Well I guess hubby will be there on the 17th, he can't not be.

The Tour Down Under started this morning. It ends on 21st January, and there are lots of national and international teams in town for the event.
They had a minute's silence for Melissa at the start.

The minute’s silence, held just after a welcoming from the Kaurna aboriginal community and the Australian national anthem, was an emotional moment, and a sombre way to start a race that is usually known for its cheerful atmosphere.

Among the spectators, a few ‘Ride for Melissa’ signs were dotted around the crowd, exemplifying the impact Hoskins left on not only the riders and teams but also the wider community of cyclists and fans in Australia.

Riders bowed their heads in respect, many clearly moved by the occasion. At its end, a tearful assistant race director Carlee Taylor climbed into the lead car, emotional but now onto the race at hand.

For me, reading this was an “oh my God” moment…

Article credit: Daily Mail

“In the video, which Dennis has added the song Like a Boss by Noes, he drives the car towards his son inside a garage, with the then four-year-old playfully directing him with hand traffic signals.

The garage is stacked with bicycles and helmets and the video's effect is to show a little boy helping his dad park in a tight space.

Dennis posted a joking comment about his son tagging in his wife, writing 'What the hell have we created @melissamdennis'.

People who commented on the video in November 2022 have written compliments aimed at the boy including 'awesome', 'legend' and 'takes pride in his job'.”

Cyclist Rohan Dennis took video inside ute that allegedly killed wife

BBM

News Corp reports police will allege Ms Hoskins jumped onto the car bonnet and grabbed at a door handle before the vehicle was driven and she fell to the ground.

It is then alleged she may have been dragged along by the vehicle.

If "before the vehicle was driven" is correct, it sounds like they arrived at the vehicle at much the same time - ie she was hot on his heels. But was she desperate to stop him leaving, or just extremely angry with him? Whichever, it's so tragic.

If "before the vehicle was driven" is correct, it sounds like they arrived at the vehicle at much the same time - ie she was hot on his heels. But was she desperate to stop him leaving, or just extremely angry with him? Whichever, it's so tragic.
So if this article is correct…

Firstly: Melissa jumped onto the hood of the vehicle.

Rohan then commenced driving.

If that’s what actually happened, this is a horrific situation.

RD has presumption of innocence as the case is sub judice, but this case really upsets me.

IMO

It puzzles me a bit that she leapt onto the hood, and he then commenced driving. As I understand it, the vehicle was in a carport off the street. Wouldn't that most likely mean that the vehicle would have to be reversed out onto the street? So did Melissa get onto the hood while the vehicle was still in the carport, or when it was out on the street?

It puzzles me a bit that she leapt onto the hood, and he then commenced driving. As I understand it, the vehicle was in a carport off the street. Wouldn't that most likely mean that the vehicle would have to be reversed out onto the street? So did Melissa get onto the hood while the vehicle was still in the carport, or when it was out on the street?

I don't think we actually know where they encountered each other. Only that the incident ended up at the location of the CCTV cameras.

Did Melissa climb onto the bonnet in view of those CCTV cameras ... maybe if the ute stopped to check for traffic before pulling out of the back street and onto the street on which Melissa was harmed?
Did she climb onto the bonnet at another location (carport/alley) where there may be a camera?
How do they know Melissa caused the dents in the bonnet? Was it witnessed, did the CCTV catch her coming off the bonnet - or is what we have heard Rohan's story?
Did the fingerprint dust reveal Melissa's fingerprints all over the bonnet?

So much we don't know.

imo

Last edited:

The husband charged over the death of cycling champion and mother-of-two Melissa Hoskins has made a surprise appearance at her funeral.

He is believed to have entered the chapel through a separate entrance to the other mourners.

1705527021597.jpeg
1705527042153.jpeg

The 33-year-old, who is yet to enter pleas to the charges, is on bail and is scheduled to face Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 13.

"Rohan Dennis attends his wife Melissa Hoskins' funeral

after being accused of running her down with his ute -

as their daughter heartbreakingly clutches a sunflower that adorned her coffin."

1705528099528.png

"Rohan Dennis attends his wife Melissa Hoskins' funeral

after being accused of running her down with his ute -

as their daughter heartbreakingly clutches a sunflower that adorned her coffin."

View attachment 475420

I am guessing that things are not good between RD and Melissa's family. It sounds as if he was blocked from entering the main door of the funeral location and asked to enter via a rear door.
He wasn't mentioned in the eulogy.

But it is good to read that Melissa's sister has vowed to help care for Melissa's children. Presumably she will go for a court order that allows this.

imo

He may have entered by a different door just to be less conspicuous. I don't have a problem with that. But if he truly wasn't mentioned in the eulogy, that is significant.

Yes, it may have been better for the children (and him) to not enter through the main door. Shield the children a bit. The funeral usher seems to stop them at the gate (photo in DM article) - maybe to redirect them to a more private area. And the DM interpreted that as 'blocked' from the main entrance.

Melissa's family have a fine balance to keep ... their feelings about her husband who recklessly (allegedly) killed Melissa, and being harmonious with said husband for the sake of the children.

Melissa's dad did say that Melissa was a wife in his eulogy (along with mother, daughter, granddaughter ... ) and that may be acknowledgement enough.

imo

I wonder how the kids are doing? I hope they are ok

According to this article from today, the children will apparently be at a public memorial the family are holding for Melissa in Adelaide this Saturday.

Melissa's dad is expected to speak at the memorial - her family is flying in from Perth - Rohan Dennis is expected not to speak at the memorial (but will be bringing the children).

The service is going to be in the Adelaide Town Hall. The article says hundreds of mourners will be there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back