GUILTY Australia - Michelle Leng, 25, found slain in Snapper Point blowhole, NSW, Apr 2016

A murder like this has to be about sex or rape. He had the weekend alone with her and was probably planning from a few days out how he was going to have his way with her.

She resisted his advances and he went nuts. She doesn't look like the type of girl who would have caused an argument leading to her being killed for any other reason than resisting his sexual advances.

She also looks like the type of attractive, petite and what I can tell a quiet girl an animal like that would feel like he could have his way with. When you have a 48 year old wife and she leaves behind a 25 year old niece behind you can see what he was thinking....he would have been salivating about this weekend. Especially when he must have had an attraction to Asians to marry a 48 year old when he is only 27.

I concur with you. I think he had a thing for her for a while. He must have been dropping hints. She appears to be a very naive and sheltered girl and would not understand flirting. ( In some cultures flirting is unacceptable behavior and not common). He might have felt snubbed and was waiting for an opportunity to be alone with her. He must have held her hostage in the house for 2 days and violated her. He must have snapped( maybe he was using ice) and had a drug fuelled rage and stabbed her that many times. On top of it, it is so inhumane he did not even cover her body when he threw her in water.

Michelle was vulnerable. She has only lived in Australia for 5 years with no immediate family.

DB worked in IT but was jobless at the time. His life seems to have fallen off track somewhere and he probably did drop hints to her.

Some young girls are street wise and can deal with unwanted attention quiet well. Perhaps Michelle was timid and embarassed to tell anyone. Either way, he took advantage of his wife being away from home.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I also wonder how long his wife has lived in Australia? Did she come here to marry him? Did she too suffer abuse from him?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

One report said Michelle has been living with aunt and the defendant since she arrived in Australia. She much have been 20 yrs and the perp was 22 yrs old then. But how long has the aunt and the perp been together?

Michelle put up a good fight and had lot of defensive wounds.

30-35 stab wounds to the neck area.

That is a very, very personal attack. Up close. Looking in her face as he's stabbing her over and over and over again. Dump her naked body in a place it will absolutely be found. That's humiliating, he is trying to humiliate her even in death. Doesn't bury her ,doesn't cover her up. Just chucks her in the water, on a Sunday morning, in a tourist attraction. Brazen.

That is a very, very personal attack. Up close. Looking in her face as he's stabbing her over and over and over again. Dump her naked body in a place it will absolutely be found. That's humiliating, he is trying to humiliate her even in death. Doesn't bury her ,doesn't cover her up. Just chucks her in the water, on a Sunday morning, in a tourist attraction. Brazen.

Yes, even after death, he wanted to humiliate her.

Yes, even after death, he wanted to humiliate her.

Could it be possible he tried to behead her so there's less chance for identification? That's a lot of cuts.

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/2016/05/04/snapper-point-murder-accused-to-plead-not-guilty. The article states "The lawyer for a man accused of murdering a young Chinese student and dumping her body in waters off the Central Coast, says his client will plead not guilty. 27-year-old Derek Barrett’s defence lawyer, Bill Whitby, made the statement outside Burwood Local Court this morning, where the case was up for mention." Magistrate Jacqueline Trad adjourned the matter to June 29

The man accused of murdering Chinese student Mengmei "Michelle" Leng, her uncle, is shocked and upset and will be defending his charges, his lawyer says.

How could he plead not guilty and even think he could get bail? I guess he is going to claim that she did not return home on the Thursday and her boyfriend or new date did it or that he was not there and the male friend was there and did it. But surely they must have found his DNA on her body and they made the crime scene (her bedroom or) the house. So what about his phone that dinged at a tower nearby? Will someone give him a false alibi to say that he was staying with them over the weekend in that area?

I am now thinking that maybe Barrett told his wife when she was going away that he would be staying near Snapper Point for the weekend. Maybe he pretended to (or did) leave even before she did so she has believed his story. So he has told everyone that she was there by herself and that is what they expected. In the meantime, a story is implanted that Michelle was going to meet a guy she had met online so the wife reported her as a missing person on the Monday when the wife got home and found she was not there. Maybe Barrett was not there either and his wife and he communicated on the phone. So when the body was found on the Sunday and she was reported missing on the Monday, police the linked the two. It sounded as if his wife has believed his story and probably still does or at least wants to.

However, the family's spokesman said the family was concerned Barrett would be released from custody and were trying to stop that.Mr Chen also condemned as "not true" the rampant speculation that Ms Leng had met a boyfriend online before her death, and asked that media stop spreading "fake information".

"[There have] been lots of stories, some of them not true and the family are very saddened by this."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/an-angel-...er-hearing-20160504-golqvd.html#ixzz47foLFn7s

So the police took computers away and other evidence on the Thursday and arrested him on the Friday afternoon. I wonder how well he cleaned up and how much evidence they have?

Speaking outside court, Mr Whitby (Barrett's solicitor) said Barrett was not finding conditions at the Sydney police centre "particularly attractive". "It's a terrible place to be incarcerated and I can only hope he'll be moved in the very near future and I'll be making a bail application in the not distant future," he said. "Obviously he's very upset, shocked. "The bail laws are that you can only go once into each court, that is in the local court and the Supreme Court, unless there's a major change in circumstances. "It is very foolish to make a bail application until you're in a proper position to do it. "In other words, until you have surety lined up and things of that nature. Premature bail applications, in my opinion, are very foolish."

Ms Leng's mother, who will speak to the media tomorrow, had travelled from China with some relatives.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-...to-plead-not-guilty/7382582?WT.mc_id=newsmail

New evidence is in bold:

An autopsy revealed Ms Leng attempted to fight off her attacker and suffered a number of defensive wounds, as well as over 30 stabbing blows.
It is believed CCTV footage captured a car entering Lake Munmorah national park around 7am on Sunday.
Police will also allege Mr Barrett's mobile phone was intercepted at Doyalson - 10 kms away - just 25 minutes before the body was discovered.
Police will allege Ms Leng’s body was inside the car.
Barrett, a former IT worker, was unemployed at the time of the murder.
Police will allege that he stabbed Ms Leng more than 30 times and are awaiting further forensic results.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-blowhole-plead-not-guilty.html#ixzz47fs88ptC

I guess they are examining his car for evidence too to prove the body was in there. He had the rest of Sunday and maybe longer to clean it up.

It looked like an open and shut case to me. But I guess Barrett thinks he can spin a story and have some believe him.

I read somewhere DB & the aunt was married in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 April 2016 This is old news so I am just trying to find anything of interest.

Homicide detectives are also exploring the possibility the person who dumped the woman's body could have slept overnight inside the gates of the park

However the gates to the national park are only open between 5.30am and 6pm so investigators are exploring the possibility that the person who dumped the body could have stayed there overnight.

The Sydney-based student was thought to have been planning to meet up with someone she met online, according to social media chatter within the Chinese community seen by news.com.au.

Since then, at least one user on the social media message app WeChat claimed a couple who believed the woman may be their daughter had contacted police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...murder-mystery-victim-date.html#ixzz47fz3oXFM

This news report suggests that a couple reported it to police believing it might be their daughter. So did her parents in China report it or Barrett and his wife?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...murder-mystery-victim-date.html#ixzz47fyMJ2TF

I read somewhere DB & the aunt was married in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting as little is told about his wife. We don't even know her name. If that is correct, maybe Michelle was already living with her auntie the year before as that's four years ago. He would have been 23yo and Michelle would have been 21yo. Maybe her parents had met Barratt at the wedding. His wife would have been 44yo. I wonder how old the child is and whether he is the father? There is a baby in one of the photos on Instagram.

The last Instagram picture she took is of children enjoying a man blowing giant bubbles in front of St Mary’s Cathedral in Hyde Park.

Friends and family have left dozens of messages next to the photograph, which is time stamped “1 week ago” and was likely taken on Thursday April 21, the day she was last seen.

The University of Technology Sydney student, 25, kept in contact with friends into the evening of April 21 before both her social media accounts and her phone went silent.

I cannot understand how these two accounts fit the picture.

Thursday 21 - it sounds as if she was already reported missing and friends left messages next to this picture but at the same time, Michelle was contacting friends until late in the evening?

Then this:

Earlier in the week, Ms Leng's aunt told an Australia-based Chinese-language news site her niece's Facebook chat records revealed that, unbeknownst to them, she had recently met an Australian boyfriend.

"We looked at those photos, blonde hair, white skin, his eyes were very fierce, he didn't look friendly, lives in Wollongong," she said on Thursday in an interview that has been translated.

"If this boyfriend did something bad to her, Michelle would fight back, plus she never had a boyfriend before, this is her first."

So did Barrett create this false profile of this guy to put everyone off track?

Accused Attorney about his client: " He is very upset and shocked"😱

What is he upset about? Getting caught? Being locked up?

Is this why he was shocked??
It appears to have dangerous rips and he might have known about these and was hoping Michelle would be dragged off shore but she drifted back in.

Beach
Fraser Beach (NSW 265) is a popular 400 m long sandy beach that occupies a valley drained by Bongon Creek and Lagoon, the creek breaking out across the southern end of the beach. The beach faces the east-southeast and picks up most east and southerly, which maintain an attached bar cut by permanent rips against each headland and one or two central rips.

Swimming
A popular but none the less, relatively hazardous location owing to the persistent rips. If swimming be careful, stay between the flags when patrolled and clear of the rip holes and feeder currents.

https://www.beachsafe.org.au/beach/nsw265

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen