Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

"Lowe said Cauchi was diagnosed with a mental illness when he was 17.

Police believe Cauchi lived with schizophrenia and used drugs including methamphetamine and psychedelics."

I can't imagine a worse combination of a drug cocktail than meth/psychedelics and schizophrenia. I can see how he'd end up in the deep end. It's too bad no one saw it coming in time.

I am NOT making any judgement on his family though. He was in treatment over the years and was doing a reasonable job keeping his life afloat. There's really not much else his family could do, imo.

My younger brother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in the 70's when he was 20. It is a life long battle for the patient and their family. JMO

I believe many turn to drugs to escape the voices in their head etc, to try to escape their reality, often these people are just so tormented.

No excuse but it's what it is IMO

Most lead very normal lives too, those who are well medicated & have appropriate resources & family support etc.

Some know when to reach out for help.

IMO
Yes they do, but my understanding is they use depressants, not stimulants or hallucinogenics - that would just make the voices worse

This "knife" had to have been a machete or a sword, or the equivalent. What a nightmare.

Reactions: MrJ
Yes they do, but my understanding is they use depressants, not stimulants or hallucinogenics - that would just make the voices worse
I guess my brother didn't get that memo...he used Shrooms and LSD at times because he said he could 'battle' the voices in his head when he was tripping. He was especially out of pocket during those times, imo. We had to have him picked up and taken on 3 days hold when we saw him in that condition. He was erratic and volatile.

But as he grew older and matured he limited his drug usage to his lithium cocktail and some old fashioned weed. Which was not strong like today's pot. But he smoked 3 packs a day and eventually succumbed to throat cancer because he just could not stop smoking. It was like a life line in his mind. He panicked if he could not smoke.

But when I think of this case with a guy using METH and psychedelics---that's scary. Because meth gives someone the urge to be shocking and aggressive and that's not what a schizophrenic needs, IMO.

Security guard identified as Faraz Tahir. He was a Pakistani national who called Brisbane home, who moved to Sydney for work. He was a refugee who had only recently come to Australia escaping persecution, possibly because of his Ahmadi faith. He came alone to this country, and has no family here - his faith community (Ahmadiyya Muslim Community of Australia) was informed of his death by police.

Last edited:
An ABC article about each of the deceased victims. First photo I've seen of Faraz. The spokesperson talking about Faraz also says that one of the people in hospital is also Pakistani. I don't know if that's the other security guard mentioned as injured by witnesses, or another member of the public.

Last edited:
The DT put out more info about Dawn Singleton. Dawn's fiance was one of the police officers called to the scene. Dawn had been shopping for her wedding makeup and the killer attacked her outside Chanel.

Dawn's fiance had just finished his shift, but was called back to assist ... then the police realised Dawn was one of the victims, so they took him away from the scene and to his friends and relatives.

Man with the bollard identified as Silas Despreaux. He was trying to prevent the attacker from reaching a children's play area. Silas is said to be Ukrainian. No idea if he's Australian born, long time expat, or another recent refugee stepping up and trying to save lives.

Also, the survivor discharged from hospital has been identified as Yvonne Wineberg.

I want to see medals handed out

Policewoman
Bollard guy
2 guy who tried to help mum and baby
I bet there are even more
The surf lifesaver and the nurse who both demanded to be let out of locked shops to help victims, at their own risk.

The security guards who took on the attacker, unarmed, one of whom has lost his life.

The people who were throwing furniture at the attacker.

Every retail staff member who shepherded customers to safety, either by locking them into shops, change rooms or storage cupboards or ushering them through back doors into staff only service corridors or fire escapes.

I want to see medals handed out

Policewoman
Bollard guy
2 guy who tried to help mum and baby
I bet there are even more
Yes.
And I am also grateful for the caring officers who pulled their officer friend from the scene BEFORE he had the shock of seeing his dead fiancé. That was an important thing for him, to be taken to friends and family to support him through this devastation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beauxhope34
Back