Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to take into account though that Melbs was locked down for a pretty large chunk of the past 20 months, and where the alledged lives copped it harder than most with more targeted lockdowns since a lot of the outbreaks and bigger clusters were stemming from the western suburbs. Would’ve made it a lot harder to go anywhere, and also melb people were restricted from going into regional areas for a big chunk too, even after the metro restrictions lifted they still weren’t allowed to come out here.
Also I wonder whether the alleged may have returned to the scene to relocate to a more concealed spot at a later date? I can't imagine that RH and CC would be found very far from a track at all, especially if they were essentially the same location now as the night they were (allegedly) left somewhere.

However if more effort was (theoretically) made to hide them later on, where they could be expands from a few possible candidate locations to literally anywhere in the state / region.

All speculation and imo

I believe GL's current wife will play an important role in how this pans out. Pure speculation is incoming..

If you are camping away solo for a night or more, you will often let those in your immediate circle know at least the general area and duration of time you will be gone.

GL would of either had to change his story about where he camped upon return or feign ignorance to his wife and also police upon initial questioning, "I didn't see them/I camped elsewhere, saw nothing, etc." Let alone the state of mind he was in upon return, calm/calculated or not I think it's important later on.

The painting of the car/selling of the trailer, while car paint fades and trailers rust. These are still not everyday things you do. Had he spoken about doing these things for a while or impulsively painted the car and sold the old trailer at the drop of a hat shortly after returning?

The public reveal a year on that the police were searching for a blue nissan/trailer combo similar to what GL had recently changed. I find it hard to believe that GL's current wife had no awareness of this news case in her own neighbourhood. Did she confront him at the time, or did she.. contact the police privately.

The argument between the two prior to GL arrest. (I cant find a reference to this anymore) Was she brave enough to confront him with her suspicions? Or just a misdirected alternate argument.

It just strikes me as odd that the LE have gone straight to 2x murder without a strong witness, unless they have one up their sleeve already.

Welcome to Websleuths, @Emeritus Hu !

welcome.jpg

I know I’ve posted this site before, but for anyone wondering just how many mines are in the Grant area, and what the coppers are up against, have a look at this, and download the 1st option (introductory notes) and have a look at the historic maps. There’s well over 40 mines up there, some are much easier to get to than others and are the more likely, but then again you dont want day trippers nosing around so maybe you would pick something not quite so easy to get to? Harder work, but less likely to be randomly discovered.

Finding historic mines in the Grant Historic Area

As I understand it GL and his first wife had 2 children together so even if the marriage had soured would he have taken the children to the funeral?

Unless family of the first wife asked GL not to attend?
Apologies if it has been covered before - did he take these 2 children to Qatar Airways when he up and left?

Didn't his ex wife pass away after he'd left her for someone else?? If that's the case then I guess it makes sense that he didn't attend her funeral.
Hi Sher Lock…I just couldn’t imagine not going to my first husbands funeral or anybody I had a long term committed relationship with…each to their own of course. Would you not take your children (no matter their ages) as a form of respect to their mother, family and relations/in-laws … to me that would be a huge red flag.

I believe GL's current wife will play an important role in how this pans out. Pure speculation is incoming..

If you are camping away solo for a night or more, you will often let those in your immediate circle know at least the general area and duration of time you will be gone.

GL would of either had to change his story about where he camped upon return or feign ignorance to his wife and also police upon initial questioning, "I didn't see them/I camped elsewhere, saw nothing, etc." Let alone the state of mind he was in upon return, calm/calculated or not I think it's important later on.

The painting of the car/selling of the trailer, while car paint fades and trailers rust. These are still not everyday things you do. Had he spoken about doing these things for a while or impulsively painted the car and sold the old trailer at the drop of a hat shortly after returning?

The public reveal a year on that the police were searching for a blue nissan/trailer combo similar to what GL had recently changed. I find it hard to believe that GL's current wife had no awareness of this news case in her own neighbourhood. Did she confront him at the time, or did she.. contact the police privately.

The argument between the two prior to GL arrest. (I cant find a reference to this anymore) Was she brave enough to confront him with her suspicions? Or just a misdirected alternate argument.

It just strikes me as odd that the LE have gone straight to 2x murder without a strong witness, unless they have one up their sleeve already.
Couldn’t agree more, could you imagine his current wife having no idea, watching the news/reading papers and slowly putting 2 and 2 together, then bingo.

I wonder if the current Mrs Lynn ever suspected anything, as over the last 20 months or whatever it is, there could not have been one person in Victoria who was not aware of RH and CC's disappearance. I quite understand that even if she did have suspicions, she probably didn't allow herself to think that way. And maybe castigated herself for even having a fleeting suspicion. But now that her husband is charged and imprisoned, I wonder if she is seeing some things differently with the benefit of hindsight.

RSBM
In the photo of the burnt out campsite I could see no evidence of the antenna he would have used for the radio contact so I assumed he had packed it away ready to depart the next day. It is only an assumption on my part.

Here's a closeup of the burnt site. It looks like something may be attached to this piece of wood. Could it be part of the antenna?

RH burnt site.JPG

A Current Affair spoke to a man who claims he was working in the valley when GL and CC arrived. He says on March 20 last year — the same day GL was last known to be alive — at about 4.30pm, GL flew his drone from his own campsite along the river. He said the drone hovered over the workers' campsite before continuing to fly over other campsites. He’s since spoken to police about what he saw because he recalls encountering someone who made him feel uneasy who camped near RH’s and CC’s campsite.

The worker said the man asked him for directions to the best camp at the northern end of the valley and that the man ended up camping over the bank from RH’s and CC’s spot, so they could have easily set up their camp without realising the man was there.

Whether that person is Mr Lynn is still unclear.

Fresh insights into man arrested over missing Victoria campers

Well yeah see I would’ve thought that’s what he did too, unhitch, turn around, squeeze past, drag the trailer around and rehitch. Surely he wouldn’t have tried to turn around with it still hitched?? But there’s not much space so it still would’ve taken a bit to turn around even if he did unhitch, and the trailer chains would be clanging turning it around so could’ve made it sound even more of a dogs breakfast.

Funny you mentioned the gunshots, I’ve just been thinking the exact same, I don’t think I’ve read anything about anyone hearing close gunshots. And you’d know, if they were coming from down in the valley with you. Still wouldn’t surprise me if they got into a blue about something though.
Good point about the gunshots not being heard. One thing I think it may be is a silencer was used for the gun.

A Current Affair spoke to a man who claims he was working in the valley when GL and CC arrived. He says on March 20 last year — the same day GL was last known to be alive — at about 4.30pm, GL flew his drone from his own campsite along the river. He said the drone hovered over the workers' campsite before continuing to fly over other campsites. He’s since spoken to police about what he saw because he recalls encountering someone who made him feel uneasy who camped near RH’s and CC’s campsite.

The worker said the man asked him for directions to the best camp at the northern end of the valley and that the man ended up camping over the bank from RH’s and CC’s spot, so they could have easily set up their camp without realising the man was there.

Whether that person is Mr Lynn is still unclear.

Fresh insights into man arrested over missing Victoria campers
Could it be possible that someone else was flying Russell's drone?

Yes. I think that is why the police focus on specific areas. Apart from phone geolocation data, if say he was using google maps, which may have stayed on his phone even if deleted, he may also have had a gps. If he had a fitbit or a watch that uploaded data to a laptop or the cloud, then the police may have had that from months ago, due to warrants. Police were focusing on specific areas prior to the arrest.
I remember reading of a case in I think the US, here the investigators drove along roads, taking timings and they too had data points. so they could see where their alleged perp was slow or fast. The police realised their man stopped in a spot for an hour. The search was successful in that case.

Police can request your Location History from Google Maps Timeline

If you’re criminal and you have Android phone or you use Google Maps on iOS you should consider switching back to your old feature phone. The Verge reported about several cases where police have filed warrants requesting from Google the location logs of suspects.

The requested data is collected by a little-known service called Google’s Location History.

The above was published in 2016 but explains how it works. More in article.

geoawesomeness.com/police-can-request-your-location-history-from-google-maps-timeline/

Here’s a 2021 update.

androidpolice.com/2021/07/05/google-maps-insights-show-just-what-a-social-butterfly-youre-becoming/

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

Such a Great Post Emeritus Hu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member