Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

His story is obviously very high on the scale of ridiculous, however, if it was true, I can see why he didn’t go the Police, I mean… hey come right away to my campsite, two people are dead and it was all an accident.

Mr Hill’s fingerprints would have been on the gun. They would then be able to map out footprints etc to confirm any statements, fingerprints on knife. The position Ms Clay ended up in to verify his claim.

He would have been better turning himself in if it was such an accident.

For those that can read it, The Age has put out an article with lots of details.

(Paraphrased)

GL removed the side awning from his vehicle, the awning was visible in a 60 Minutes program about the case.

Blood spatter stains and fatty deposits found under the canopy - belonging to Carol.

Metal and bone fragments found at the Bucks Camp site. And an unburned piece of Carol's skull.

More than 2100 pieces of burnt and highly fragmented bone found where GL dumped Russell and Carol. As well as 5 teeth and a dental bridge (likely Russell's). And a ring that was likely Carol's.

GL treated the couple with such horrible disrespect!!! imo :( :( :(

How to believe someone's story when they were maintaing a lie until they were caught and were potentially going to maintain the lie forever....hmmm.

Two catastrophic and completely separate accidents In the space of minutes.

Yeah that's not going to fly, no pun intended.

How to believe someone's story when they were maintaing a lie until they were caught and were potentially going to maintain the lie forever....hmmm.

It just wasn't GL's lucky day, poor chap.

It isn't a very credible tale, is it? Russell attacking a stranger with a gun, in the bush. Then, after the gun "discharges by accident" into his companion's head, (he doesn't want to spell it out, but according to the accused, this was pretty much reckless Russell's fault), he charges at the much younger man with a knife. A revolting account

It isn't a very credible tale, is it? Russell attacking a stranger with a gun, in the bush. Then, after the gun "discharges by accident" into his companion's head, (he doesn't want to spell it out, but according to the accused, this was pretty much reckless Russell's fault), he charges at the much younger man with a knife. A revolting account
You forgot to add a gun he went and stole from from GL car iirc

And he had 20 months in which to get together some explanation about what happened. To quietly formulate some kind of "self defence" explanation, just in case he was caught.

imo

Crown prosecutor Daniel Porceddu will spend two hours outlining his case against Lynn to a jury of 15 on Tuesday morning.

He alleged Lynn was camping in the Wonnangatta Valley at the same time as Mr Hill and Mrs Clay, who were childhood sweethearts.

“It is alleged that during the evening of Friday, 20 March 2020, at Bucks Camp the accused murdered Mr Hill and Mrs Clay,” Mr Porceddu told the jury.

“The precise circumstance of the killings are not known, nor is the motivation.”

He alleged one possible motive was Mr Hill’s drone had captured a dispute between Lynn and Mr Hill, which he claimed was later removed and destroyed.

“There might have been an argument or confrontation between the two men,” Mr Porceddu said.

He said it was not known how Mr Hill was killed, but evidence allegedly showed Mrs Clay was shot in the head.

“The prosecution alleges Mr Hill was most likely killed first because Mrs Clay is very unlikely to have provoked a violent confrontation involving a firearm other than having witnessed or been aware of Mr Hill’s violent death,” the prosecutor said.

“She is alleged to have been shot in the head by the accused, in the vicinity of the canopy of the passenger side of Mr Hill’s white LandCruiser.

“It is alleged the accused made considerable efforts to contaminate the scene, conceal evidence and try to distance himself from what happened.

“This commenced very soon after Mr Hill and Mrs Clay were killed.”

There is a segment in this (paywalled) article about a camper who had met up with Russell while camping at King Billy in the Alpine National Park. He met Russell there in the week before Russell was killed. The camper and his two friends were camping in the same area. They were hunters.

Russell asked the camper if he and the camper's two mates minded if Russell flew his drone.

They didn't care, and said they enjoyed talking with Russell, he was a great guy and very approachable.

(paraphrased)

There is a segment in this (paywalled) article about a camper who had met up with Russell while camping at King Billy in the Alpine National Park. He met Russell there in the week before Russell was killed. The camper and his two friends were camping in the same area. They were hunters.

Russell asked the camper if he and the camper's two mates minded if Russell flew his drone.

They didn't care, and said they enjoyed talking with Russell, he was a great guy and very approachable.

(paraphrased)

In the article it states Lynn was hunting with a shotgun - do we know if he was loaded with birdshot or buckshot, or even what he was hunting?

You'd have to be relatively close to murder someone successfully with birdshot I think.

I wonder if it was something stupid like an ND and then he panicked.

In the article it states Lynn was hunting with a shotgun - do we know if he was loaded with birdshot or buckshot, or even what he was hunting?

You'd have to be relatively close to murder someone successfully with birdshot I think.

I wonder if it was something stupid like an ND and then he panicked.

His lawyer said he was hunting deer in the area.
I don't know what you mean by an ND.

ETA: Oh, I just worked out that ND might mean Negligent Discharge of a firearm. Just been googling some firearm terms.

Mr Dann told the jury that his client was deer hunting in the area and about dinnertime on March 20, walked over to ask Mr Hill “about his drone”.

Last edited:
Blood spatter stains and fatty deposits found under the canopy - belonging to Carol.

Metal and bone fragments found at the Bucks Camp site. And an unburned piece of Carol's skull.

More than 2100 pieces of burnt and highly fragmented bone found where GL dumped Russell and Carol. As well as 5 teeth and a dental bridge (likely Russell's). And a ring that was likely Carol's.

GL treated the couple with such horrible disrespect!!! imo :( :( :(
Yes. Was anyone wondering how the victims bodies became so fragmented?? Just saying...

His story is obviously very high on the scale of ridiculous, however, if it was true, I can see why he didn’t go the Police, I mean… hey come right away to my campsite, two people are dead and it was all an accident.

Mr Hill’s fingerprints would have been on the gun. They would then be able to map out footprints etc to confirm any statements, fingerprints on knife. The position Ms Clay ended up in to verify his claim.

He would have been better turning himself in if it was such an accident.
Not to mention the idea that maybe these dead bodies were real people, who have loved ones who'll want to know what happened to them. Shrug, no biggie, I guess...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golden123
Back