PARENTS KILLED AMBER ALERT ISSUED FOR 13-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER
---
POLICE NEED PUBLIC'S HELP IN FINDING MISSING AND PREGNANT KIERRA COLES

Australia - Same-sex penguin couple at a Sydney aquarium fosters an egg

Discussion in 'News that makes you smile!' started by Bohemian, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:30 AM.

1. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

‘A same-sex penguin couple at a Sydney aquarium has become the first in Australia to be handed a foster egg and staff say the two are showing signs they'll be "amazing parents".

Magic and Sphen, two gentoo penguins at the Sea Life Sydney Aquarium, formed a bond before the 2018 breeding season.

Tish Hannan, the aquarium's penguin department supervisor, said staff suspected love was in the air when they began noticing piles of ice pebbles set up as a nest each day.

"We'd go over there and Magic and Spehn would be bowing to each other," she said.

"Bowing is a gentoo way of saying they love each other, which is super cute."

The couple then began collecting actual pebbles when staff put them out for the breeding season and built a real nest.

They were then given a dummy egg to practice their parenting skills.

"They immediately knew exactly what it was and started incubating it and we're really, really happy," Ms Hannan said.

Keepers then decided to give them a real egg from another couple that had two.’

More at:

Same-sex penguin couple at a Sydney aquarium fosters an egg - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. hylianquinn

hylianquinn Member

From above link ....

"We're not going to need to step in just because they're males," she said.

"We might step in if it turns out that they're not good parents because of who they are as individuals, but for all the signs we're seeing at the moment they're going to be amazing."

Can someone get these zookeepers a dcs application? ❤️ Honestly though, faith in humanity restored. Best of luck, penguin daddies. You’re doing great! ❤️

3. 3llecia

3llecia Active Member

This story has made all of this week's ******** wash away and I feel okay for a bit.

4. Bohemian

Bohemian Well-Known Member

Ditto x

5. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

6. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

What a wonderful article.:):):):)
    As an 'over the top' animal lover, I am very wary, when opening animal articles, as get extremely upset, if there is a sad ending: so am ready to switch off the article instantly.
    Cannot watch documentaries on animals etc, because they kill for their prey.

I hope we receive an update here, and we can all become the 'god parents'.
    Hope there is a naming competition for the little one, and we receive photos of him/her growing up, loved by this wonderful couple.

7. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

Hi grannie, thanks for the cute story.
    I feel I am stalking you around these threads.:):):)

8. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

And I think I’m the one stalking you and the rest of the AQ crew. It just happens. We all know why. Cause we’re all on the same thought train.

GarAndTeed likes this.
  9. tmar

tmar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Another feel good article:
    31 shelter dogs on the day they get adopted - Her Moments
    Photos Of Shelter Dogs The Moment They Realize They're Being Adopted
    ... of a shelter dog's life. See these 31 pups on the first day in their forever homes! ... Photos Of Shelter Dogs The Moment They Realize They're Being Adopted ...

Photos Of Shelter Dogs The Moment They Realize They’re Being Adopted
    By Maggie Watson
    Her Moments Staff

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    Bohemian, GarAndTeed and muggles63 like this.