GUILTY Australia - Savannah, 4 & Indianna Mihayo, 3, smothered, Watsonia, Vic, 20 April 2014

I always am left feeling helpless when I hear of things like this. Trying to enact change in he court, in the punishments and other 2ndary things seems so hard to attain.
I end up reminding myself, that, as with everything, it has to start with yourself.

1. Choose your partner carefully. He/she is the father/mother of your children and will be forever in your life. If it takes you 5 years to ensure they are likely to be a safe partner before you have children, then so be it.

2. Educate yourself and your kids about the psychology of mankind, what they can do, what they are capable of, and how best to protect yourself by interacting with potential offenders in ways that enhance the safety of both yourself and your children yet still show basic respect. Ie, "manipulate" them in positive ways that generate the least amount of negative behaviour from them.

3. Use the courts to your best advantage
but realise the limitations.

But before everything else, make sure point 1 is the top of your list. It was at the top of mine.

Not to say you can't still be unlucky, but these points may reduce your chances of a tragedy. And they are things within your power.

Few details were revealed during his 50-second appearance.

Magistrate John Doherty remanded Mr Mihayo in custody to reappear for a committal mention on August 12.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...court-appearance/story-fni0fee2-1226890533233

I guess we are going to have to wait for a long time before we find out the official COD. I imagine that autopsies would have to be performed to ensure there were no drugs/toxins in the girls systems, so that they can be certain that smothering was the actual cause, and not just a contributing factor.

I had the girls on my mind last night as I put my little ones to bed.

Perhaps he lived in the granny flat so they could keep an eye on him? Friends close but enemies even closer type thing?

I don't know. I'm just so sick of reading about people dying at the hands of those that should love them and protect them the most.

Been away for the Easter Period camping in the middle of nowhere and have just come back to hear this news.

Makes me vomit, enough is enough.

:furious:

I always am left feeling helpless when I hear of things like this. Trying to enact change in he court, in the punishments and other 2ndary things seems so hard to attain.
I end up reminding myself, that, as with everything, it has to start with yourself.

1. Choose your partner carefully. He/she is the father/mother of your children and will be forever in your life. If it takes you 5 years to ensure they are likely to be a safe partner before you have children, then so be it.

2. Educate yourself and your kids about the psychology of mankind, what they can do, what they are capable of, and how best to protect yourself by interacting with potential offenders in ways that enhance the safety of both yourself and your children yet still show basic respect. Ie, "manipulate" them in positive ways that generate the least amount of negative behaviour from them.

3. Use the courts to your best advantage
but realise the limitations.

But before everything else, make sure point 1 is the top of your list. It was at the top of mine.

Not to say you can't still be unlucky, but these points may reduce your chances of a tragedy. And they are things within your power.

Thank you Thank you for this excellent post.... I wanted to comment on why I think we are seeing a huge increase in these types of crimes in the past decade (at least) and you put it so much more eloquently than I would...

I have been on here for a couple of years now, and so many times I have read cases of children killed and/or abused by mums boyfriend, step dad, mum getting rid of the kids because boyfriend doesn't like them, mum not looking after kids properly because she is too caught up in her own love tangles etc etc etc.

And please before you jump on me, I am not saying that it is the case here..

Just merely agreeing that point no 1 above is so so so important and unfortunately it seems to not be important so often these days by women, especially by a lot of women who already have children.

It seems it is so easy and acceptable these days for people to jump from relationship to relationship, and personally I think this is causing so many problems within society. Please do not attack me for saying this as it is my opinion and observation only.

Many of societies problems can be traced back to unsettled childhoods where the children did not feel secure for whatever reason.

My own situation includes a step daughter that hadn't seen her dad until she was 11 (my husband) as her mum moved from man to man dragging the kids along with her........putting restraining orders on all the fathers (only 1 was actually truthful)....she had 4 kids to 4 different dads along with a number of boyfriends in between.....she met a man she wanted, he didn't want to play dad to her tribe, so she killed herself.............her 4 children are totally messed up......

My stepdaughter is now 20.....out of 10 of her good schoolfriends 7, yes 7!! are now mothers.........6 are single mothers, one got married....one of those girls is about to have her 3rd child to 3 different men, another has a baby to a man (well boy really, 19) who also has a baby to another girl and there is 7 months difference in the babies ages!!!!

This breakdown has to stop, it really is not good for society.

Sorry to have gone off topic..........

and RIP poor baby girls............and how sorry I feel for their poor mum...you don't recover from something like this........what a a hole of a man....

Thank you Thank you for this excellent post.... I wanted to comment on why I think we are seeing a huge increase in these types of crimes in the past decade (at least) and you put it so much more eloquently than I would...

Just merely agreeing that point no 1 above is so so so important and unfortunately it seems to not be important so often these days by women, especially by a lot of women who already have children.

It seems it is so easy and acceptable these days for people to jump from relationship to relationship, and personally I think this is causing so many problems within society. Please do not attack me for saying this as it is my opinion and observation only.

Many of societies problems can be traced back to unsettled childhoods where the children did not feel secure for whatever reason.

Thanks for your support. I don't often get anyone agreeing with me, I am usually the one who writes "way out" or "differing perspective" posts, and not often does it hit home with someone. So thank you. :)

I truly believe in personal responsibility as being an important key here (it is often said, "you can't change anyone else, but you can change yourself") and it's very true. But it's not that simplistic.

The problem is, as you pointed out, many people who find themselves in unsavoury relationships or with children before they even realised they were having them (overstatement, but you get my gist), are people who have had troubled backgrounds, and haven't been given the tools to make the correct choices.

Sadly the only thing I think we can do here, is add these important lessons into our education system, as parents these days often don't have the tools or awareness to teach their own kids these aspects of self preservation.

I am a retired teacher although I am still only young (under 40). Retired due to illness. But educating children has always been my passion, and especially fortifiying kids with the tools of resilience, self-responsibility, empowerment and also awareness of others (including psychological aspects of other people as well as themselves). These are truly great tools. I studied psychology as a major at university as part of a separate degree. I can honestly say it's one of the most helpful things I have ever done.

If we can't can't stop others from doing heinous acts, then at least we can educate ourselves and our children to make wise choices so have a reduced chance of ending up in situations of tragedy.

And if parents aren't able to teach their children, (and many can't as they aren't in position to have such knowledge themselves), then we can only hope by adding some aspects of this education to schools, we might build a wiser generation of young adults.

I don't know. I am often at a loss at solutions as well.
Situations like this leave us all clutching at straws, don't they.

I'm thinking of Savannah and Indianna's mummy and grandma tonight.
I remember the beautiful sound when my two would giggle & laugh together at that age. They looked like great sole mates.
So sad.
I haven't been able to see if or when the funerals were held.

Domestic violence of epidemic proportions a 'national emergency': campaign groups

Domestic violence is the leading cause of death and injury in women under 45, with more than one woman murdered by her current or former partner every week.

There are young victims too, with more than one million children affected by domestic violence.
Accounting for 40 per cent of police time, the cost to the economy is $13.6 billion per year.

he Easter period marked the deaths of six women and children in a single week.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-0...rtions/5426214

Does Charles Mihao go to court This Tuesday?
I had in my calendar as a reminder.

Sorry to quote myself, link didn't work in tapatalk or Firefox but did in Safari, don't know why but here is what it says.

MARTIN, STEVEN vs MIHAYO, CHARLES AMON
Case Date
12/08/2014
Case Time
9:30
Case #
E11324656
J. Officer
Description
Court
Magistrates Court of Victoria
Division
Criminal
Room

'Melbourne man Charles Amon Mihayo dressed his young daughters in ballerina dresses and filmed them dancing before smothering them with a pillow.

The 36-year-old pleaded guilty to murdering four-year-old Savannah and three-year-old Indianna on Easter Sunday.

After killing them, Mihayo bathed them, then redressed them in the ballerina dresses and called police.'

Sounds horrific. He shut grandparents and mum outside and she was banging on the door to get in.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...hed-his-daughters-dance-then-murdered/5690270

Police were soon bashing on the bungalow door and Mihayo shouted out "a minute please", while he finished dressing the girls in their ballerina outfits.

The Tanzanian national later told police he had no reason for murdering his daughters but that it made sense to him at the time, the court documents said.

He told police that they would not understand what he had been through and that providing a reason for his crime would make no difference.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...hed-his-daughters-dance-then-murdered/5690270

They are the most beautiful little girls. RIP Savannah and Indianna.

What he's been through???!!!

They are the most beautiful little girls. RIP Savannah and Indianna.

What he's been through???!!!

So sad for those beautiful little girls. :(

Did he not understand that they were (relatively) safe in Australia?

I can only imagine what he has been through, Tanzania is known for all kinds of child abuse .. child soldiers, the sale of children, child prostitution, child *advertiser censored*, child labourers, child marriage .... the United Nations has been working there for a while, trying to curb the child abuse. Extreme poverty causes much of it.

Tanzanian mothers living on their own are some of the worst offenders, due to having no other means of support. Was his ex-wife now seen as a mother-on-her-own?

He was right when he said we would not understand. We just have no frame of reference to understand why his beautiful daughters' deaths would be preferable to him than their continued lives. And he may not have understood that things really are different here, most of the time anyway.

Read it and weep ... it is very confronting how many, many of the children in Tanzania must live. :cry:
http://www.ohchr.org/en/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=9419&LangID=E
http://www.dol.gov/ilab/reports/child-labor/tanzania.htm

Mihayo smothered his daughters, Savannah, 4, and Indianna, 3, on April 20 this year — Easter Sunday — after an acrimonious divorce from the girls’ mother.

“This was an act of revenge against the mother of the girls, his former wife,” prosecutor Gavin Silbert QC told Justice Lex Lasry.

But Mihayo has refused to tell authorities why he killed his daughters, instead claiming he wants to be punished and has isolated himself inside the prison system.

On the day of the murders, Mihayo saw the film Captain America before buying his daughters new clothes and dress shoes.

When police arrived at his Watsonia unit and found the girls dead in the new dresses and asked Mihayo why, he said: “It’s done. I’ve killed them. I’ve killed my kids. You’ll have to ask (my former wife why).”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...other-court-told/story-fnii5smp-1227113490865

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back