Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

Hi Makara. Just read your instructions and thanks, but 1/2 way through and my head went into meltdown. I've never had a computer lesson and I reckon I'd screw it up for sure. I had one of my daughters scan the photo first, then emailed it to my laptop. Pretty basic stuff. Can I email it to you or is that breaking protocol.
Re- the H.C. Reynolds I.D.. From the outset it was always impossible to know whether the man pictured on the I.D. belonged to the name given, H.C. Reynolds. All that was established was the facial match to the deceased (SM). Cypher Mysteries picked up on the newspaper report and followed the name H.C. Reynolds through and found a Tasmanian Horace Charles Reynolds that died in 1953 I think, but there was never any photo of Horace produced to confirm that it was his image on the I.D.. It's a 'photo I. D.' thus we needed proof by way of a photo (at any age) as conformation. Thus the name still remains a mystery. Maciej stands by his findings and Police have had over 3 years to conduct their own independent examination. I've not had Police advise me of any change to Maciejs' findings meanwhile. There was another promising lead that emerged from America last year but seemed to go dead, that is, I've heard nothing more since. I think the problem is that we only have initials to go by and no Christian names. That made the task for researchers very difficult. I'm not a researcher so I've had to rely on the help of others.

Makara...I followed your instructions and now able to see how transfer might be done, but I'll need to move email image to a folder first. I sent the email/photo to Chico if that helps. Thanks

Makara...I followed your instructions and now able to see how transfer might be done, but I'll need to move email image to a folder first. I sent the email/photo to Chico if that helps. Thanks

Sorry Xlamb, I don't know Chico. Is she a Websleuth moderator? I also have a pic of Robin with his sister Kate when he was about 10 or 12. It will be interesting to compare it to the photo you have.

Thanks Makara...and yes, Chico's with Websleuths, but I expect already has work overload without my asking for favours. I'm annoyed with myself for lacking the skills, but I did discover a lot I never knew before, just by following your instructions. You're a good teacher! I'll try begging my adult children and their partners to lend me a hand to post the photo. Whoever visits first.
I'll be pleased to see both brother and sister at a younger age via your photo. Comparisons will be made more accurate. I estimate Robin to be about 16/17 in my shot. I noticed with my own 3 sons that the transformation from the 'boy face' to man can be quite dramatic, but the ear in my photo is quite clearly seen and should help confirm identity.
The young man we 'can' identify in the Jetty photo as Trevor Gooch went to Poultney Grammer in Adelaide. His father Bob was a Freemason and caretaker for the Belair Lodge I've been told. Trevor might be able to assist with identity also...if we can find him.
Today I've sent a photo off to another chap who was a friend of Trevor's back then. He also attended Poultney and his father was the Freemason's Treasurer in the early 60's, but not sure which branch. We're hoping he'll recognise the yet unidentified lad in the wet suit. He remembered a 'Robin' but by a different Surname. I don't know which High School Robin attended, but I've a feeling I've read somewhere, that Prosper Thomson was a Freemason, so that may provide a link. This chap (now aged about 68) helping us has many of his old school magazines I'm told. Every bit helps! There are some things you just can't find by way of researching the Internet. Finding people from that time frame willing and able to recall all the details of who's who and the finer goings on is invaluable if any of these old cases are to be resolved. God bless the hoarders and collectors. I always feel safer with the things I can get my hand around, than some of what I see via the Internet. I worry about information being corrupted, removed etc.. Anyway I hope to get the picture sorted eventually. For me posting this photo would be quicker using a stamp...if only I knew where to send it.

There isn't a Chico listed as a member of Websleuths. There is a Chico's mom and a Chicogirl. Try contacting the person you spoke to again and ask them to post your photo to this forum. It would only take a few minutes, so I'm sure they won't mind.

Let me know where you're stuck with uploading the photo and I'll talk you through it.

Thanks Makara...and yes, Chico's with Websleuths, but I expect already has work overload without my asking for favours. I'm annoyed with myself for lacking the skills, but I did discover a lot I never knew before, just by following your instructions. You're a good teacher! I'll try begging my adult children and their partners to lend me a hand to post the photo. Whoever visits first.
I'll be pleased to see both brother and sister at a younger age via your photo. Comparisons will be made more accurate. I estimate Robin to be about 16/17 in my shot. I noticed with my own 3 sons that the transformation from the 'boy face' to man can be quite dramatic, but the ear in my photo is quite clearly seen and should help confirm identity.
The young man we 'can' identify in the Jetty photo as Trevor Gooch went to Poultney Grammer in Adelaide. His father Bob was a Freemason and caretaker for the Belair Lodge I've been told. Trevor might be able to assist with identity also...if we can find him.
Today I've sent a photo off to another chap who was a friend of Trevor's back then. He also attended Poultney and his father was the Freemason's Treasurer in the early 60's, but not sure which branch. We're hoping he'll recognise the yet unidentified lad in the wet suit. He remembered a 'Robin' but by a different Surname. I don't know which High School Robin attended, but I've a feeling I've read somewhere, that Prosper Thomson was a Freemason, so that may provide a link. This chap (now aged about 68) helping us has many of his old school magazines I'm told. Every bit helps! There are some things you just can't find by way of researching the Internet. Finding people from that time frame willing and able to recall all the details of who's who and the finer goings on is invaluable if any of these old cases are to be resolved. God bless the hoarders and collectors. I always feel safer with the things I can get my hand around, than some of what I see via the Internet. I worry about information being corrupted, removed etc.. Anyway I hope to get the picture sorted eventually. For me posting this photo would be quicker using a stamp...if only I knew where to send it.

Makara...It's my fault. Just checked the name and definitely Chico, but also saw that I missed emailing the attachment. She can't post the photo when it wasn't sent!

Jetty Photo showing unidentified lad in wetsuit. I'm standing next to him.

Tried and the photos not there. It didn't work obviously!

Jetty Photo, I'm standing next to the lad in the wetsuit.

Attachments

• Jetty Photo Large (581x800).jpg
    Jetty Photo Large (581x800).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 198
Thank you also Reyire!
Makara... It turned out that the photo dimensions were too large to post, so my daughter reduced it. Size does matter; for computers anyway. I also rechecked my emails and found that I did send the Jetty photo off to Chico after all (sent 10/2 and again 11/2), but it's better that I learnt something in the process of trying to do it myself, with your help.
I've since spoken to the chap that thought he might recognise the lad in the wetsuit as he knew a 'Robin' that also attended Poultney Grammar (with a different Surname), but it's no-one he recognises. He said he's never seen the lad in the wetsuit before.
I was really hoping there might be records to access for a Club , Association or School that would help validate identity, but unfortunately I'm only left with the facial comparisons and age which is similar to Robin Thomson, and that's all. The other lad standing in the background, Trevor Gooch, hasn't been seen since the 60's. It's still possible that he may have known him, but how to find out is a problem. Everyone's getting older or they may have passed away. Underpinning this of course is the photo I.D. for H.C. Reynolds that I'm told matches the Somerton Man. If the lad in the wetsuit is indeed a young Robin Thomson it would seem more than just coincidence that I'd also have a photo of the man alleged to be his biological father. It could also support Prof. Abbotts claims re- Paternity. The odds of my having two items (said father and son) in my possession (originally belonging to my father) would be slim I think. I'm wondering Makara whether you've had a chance to do your own comparisons to the photos you have of Robin (early teens) and your conclusions. Everyone I've shown these photos to so far have said that it's definitely the same guy. Robin has living relatives and they could easily resolve whether it's him pictured in the wetsuit.
The photo was copied from the original slide, and my brother (pictured viewers front / right) believes that we were on Edithburgh Jetty when our father took it. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Well done Xlamb. It's a great photo. The boy in the wetsuit does have a striking likeness to the pics I posted of Robin Thompson.

Click images to enlarge

Robin-Thompson-comparison.jpg

In the image above I've enlarged the skindiver and added two images of Robin Thompson as a comparison. I can see there is a definite similarity.

Robin-and-Kate-Thomson.jpg

Above is a screencap taken from the interview with Robin Thompson's wife and daughter. You'll notice that Robin has fair hair in this pic and in the second one below, his hair is quite blonde.

Jessica-Thomson-and-Robin-at-rear.jpg

I personally believe that Robin Thompson is the biological son of Prosper Thompson and not the dead man found at Somerton. Robin is the spitting image of Prosper Thompson, even down to the blonde hair.

What is your connection to the Thompsons? And why do you believe that your father was involved in the disappearance of the Beaumont children? I'd also like to know the story behind the photo of H. C. Reynolds.

Makara...Thankyou for placing the photo comparisons. If there were a P.O. Box that I could send you a copy of the Jetty photo, you'd see the ear more clearly, and it's the unusual ear configuration match that is often raised as the signature and proof supporting Prof. Abbotts Paternity claims and his subsequent push for SM's exhumation. Apart from searching for a name for SM, proof of Paternity also underpins his reasons for wanting an exhumation/D.N.A. test. I personally think Robin looks just like his Mum, and I don't think it would have mattered much to Robin, rather he'd have seen his Father as the man who raised him, and for his Mother to tell him otherwise may have proved too difficult under the circumstances (if not Prosper). The matter of Robins' Paternity seems to dominate discussion however and I can only think this is because people are searching for additional connections between Jestyn and the deceased / SM. The other link to Jestyn, Omar Khayyam's' book and the phone number is not enough to say she knew SM, but if he was her sons' Father it's likely that she'd have known his name. It appears also via the 60 Minutes program that Robins' Grandchildren would like the SM/Robin Paternity issue resolved and hopefully the Attorney General will now agree.
As for your question "what is my connection to the Thomsons" I can only answer "that I don't really know, but I'd like to find out". The combined evidence of any connection is via my father as he had the I.D. photo that the expert in facial comparisons (Maciej Henneberg) states matches the deceased/SM. If it also turns out I've an early 60's photo of myself, sister, brother and Mother standing with his allege son, I think it's most likely my father that needs to explain his connection and it's not necessarily to the Thomson family, but perhaps it's to the deceased. Why else would he include Robin (if it is him) with a photo of his own family unless he either personally knew him/Robin or had knowledge of his relationship to the deceased/SM via the 1918 / I.D. he held.
In the 60's every photo taken was purposeful and 'an event' and I remember this photo being taken, the fuss my father made of this lad and what he said etc..
About photo back then...if my recall's correct there were rolls of film with either 12 or 24 shots. They were thought expensive to develop and this photo was in 'colour'. People weren't so snap happy as they are now. You couldn't select which photos were worth developing; you had to wait a week or more for processing; you had to pay for the bad and blurred shots also. My brother is now going to search for the Jetty slide to check if anything's been written on its mounting. As slides are shown with a projector and enlarged onto a screen (otherwise too small and dark to see easily) it's common to label them first so you can select what's to be viewed before you feed them into the projector.

Re - Thomson connection...In around Nov. 2012 a young man initially calling himself Carl McMahon, sought me out. He said he was our 1/2 brother and that his real name was James Carl Thomson. He claimed to be the son of Caroline Thomson (D.O.B. 3/12/48), that her Father was Quentin Thomson, brother to Prosper. He told us that when his Mother died in 1988, his Grandfather took him to England (aged 6) to live for much of his School years and he later returned to Australia. James was now searching for his biological Father (our father, whom he remembered well) but hadn't seen since his Mothers' death and thus needing our help. Over a 6 month period he immersed himself into all branches of our family. He met and re-bonded with his Father (also our father) and even did a D.N.A. test and showed us the results that proved his Paternity claims. He collected up a lot of information about 'his new family' (our Family). He helped us with some things. He was very good with computers. He sent me information about the Thomson (his) Family. He introduced me to the 'Smithsonian' site and various other SM sites and encouraged me to go 'on line' . He wanted our relationship/D.N.A. connection to remain a secret until he felt ready to inform everyone, in particular his own family (Thomsons) so my brother and I agreed to abide his request. We tried our hardest to be supportive during his harrowing time of self discovery, until he'd had time to adjust.
I informed Police about our new 1/2 brothers claims, but Police said they could find no record of him. James said his was a 'Home Birth' and never registered, as explanation. It was also why he needed his (our) father in order to validate his Birth Certificate. In many ways James storey was plausible, but as time went on there were a few things that didn't quite add up. When I'd press for further explanation he'd become either very upset/cry or 'get angry'. A few times he just hung up. I only wanted to know the truth.
Then suddenly, and without further explanation from him, he sent me an email stating that I was not to communicate our months of emails to anyone else, and I was 'not to respond' and to I was to cease contact. Then I received from James, a Stat. Dec. by registered mail, enclosed was a 'return envelope' and he demanded that the results of his and our fathers D.N.A. tests be returned to him... 'immediately'. I've not heard from him since.
James also told me a lot about 'trolls', his cousin Joel (Kate's son)and about other people he knew that were making a menace of themselves on a number of SM sites. Trouble is now, I don't know whether he's was our 1/2 brother, prankster in need of psychological help or a fraud. Either way, over a 6mth. period we opened our homes to him, and we extended our love and trust.
I have never sought out members of the Thomson family. I've not intruded into their homes or lives. My brother and I obviously want to know if James Carl Thomson is a genuine member of their Family or a pretender (he stated Prosper was his Great Uncle and Jestyn his Aunt). We want to know whether his claims about our 'shared father' are true or not. If the Thomsons or anyone else can help us get to the truth we'd be very grateful. If he was sent in by the Thomson family we deserve a worthy explanation and an apology. If none of it was true I consider it to be committing fraud and criminal.
While James was in our lives he also pointed out that our Surname came up in connection to the Mangnoson case. Our name also appeared on Prospers War File, and the reasons for both remains unanswered.
Sorry, there was no short answer to your question, but like I said re-Thomson connection... "I don't really know, but I'd like to find out".
My trust in people has been broken often since I first spoke up, and there seems to be a lot of people that would rather I'd never come forward with the I.D.. I've had some vicious attacks from these so called 'trolls' ever since Cipher Mysteries took up the search for H.C. Reynolds. I took up the Internet in order to defend myself, but by way of my responding, the attacks grew worse. I'll answer your other questions later, as these will also take time to explain. Thanks!

Makara...In order to speed things up I sent the Adelaide Major Crime Detective handling the Somerton Man case a little collage containing the Jetty photo and your compilations of 'Robin pictures'. I sent it off yesterday and I hope you don't mind that I included your work. I'll email Derek Abbott also once I've time. He wasn't happy about the I.D. emergence but he may respond differently to the Jetty photo if it's Robin. We'll see!

Correction also...I meant to say "Robins' children" in reference to 60 Minutes program and SM exhumation/D.N.A. Paternity test...not "Robins' Grandchildren". Any other grammar mistakes I hope will be forgiven.

Re- Paternity/Prosper...I can also see that the combination of the Mother and Prosper could create Robin, but it's the ear shape that's always raised by Prof. Abbott and others and Robins' ears match SM. Likewise if you placed the Mother and the I.D. photo together, they might also make 'a Robin' particularly when we've their smiles to compare, but maybe you need an Experts examination... which I'm not!
I have wondered also whether SM was related to either Jessica or Prosper and the ear shape just ran in the family gene pool and occasionally popped up; but in Robins' case it's used to define direct Paternity to SM, rather than seen as a family trait. In a large family these little quirks are often acknowledged by those that remember 'Uncle Alberts big nose' or 'Aunt Edna's singing voice' that sneak in through the genes. Although Prosper had many siblings, I was told that only a few had children (of their own) but I'm not sure about Robins' Mother's side. And really, who checks such things as ears. Most parents just hope their offspring have ears that work well and are neat enough not to be teased at School.
If SM was blood related, the question still remains that they'd have known SM's identity, but kept it a secret.
SM may have had a home somewhere and some wealth; we don't know. Could someone simply take all he had and no-one else be the wiser. As long as the deceased is never claimed or named who would really know but 'family'. Even now, unless there a family, friends and someone that cares enough to report you missing to Police, no-one's going to be looking for you.

I appreciate the welcome Makara and micheloneonly. It's always a bit scary adding something new to discussions. I came under some viscous attacks on other sites over the 1918 photo I.D. emergence and Maciejs' positive findings, so I was a little hesitant to bring the Jetty photo forward for an identification check for Robin. Thankyou also Makara for posting Robin Thomson's' photo as I'd have been lost without it. I was only able to find him in stage makeup elsewhere. Although it's now been brought to the attention of Police, they take their own time with such things, and I'd rather a more speedy result. As Robin has living relatives they too would be able to do their own evaluation. The person assisting me at Websleuths was going to find a clever 'someone' to post the photo I emailed them (as I'm still pretty hopeless at this technology). Hopefully it will be up on line soon. Thanks!

Bless your heart! Thank you for joining, and rest assured, that won't happen here. It's not allowed. Thank for all the contributions you have made to this thread. It's appreciated. I want to extend a warm WS welcome to you, and I hope you will stay with us. :blowkiss:

Tulessa...Thankyou! You're very kind. All the horrible words and bullying I 'd been dealt on those other sites were just washed away by you. Once I'd had a tiny cry to shake off the burden they'd left, I felt so much more at ease and you've made me laugh as well.
I was very frightened about what might happen if I dared put up the Jetty Photo. I worried that my family members might end up with devils horns and tails if the 'trolls' got busy. The Internet wasn't quite what I thought it would be, but life often gives a hard lesson in order to teach you well enough not to make the same mistakes over and over...which I foolishly did! To place your trust in others always comes with risk, but I feel safe here and I haven't felt that way for a long time. I think I'll brave answering Makaras' Beaumont question shortly, but will have a look at your site first. I'd send you back some love and kisses but haven't learnt how...so sending telepathically and hope you feeling it over there. :)

Tulessa...Golly Gosh! I'm so sorry for your loss. I only hope I can emerge from my own battles with as much grace and dignity as you've managed. It's a reminder that such tragedies can happen in any family, and sometimes inexplicable as to 'why'; non-the -less within that grief, all the pieces must be gathered up by the living and lives must be put back together no matter how terrible the circumstances.
Sometimes it's not only the victim and their families that suffer, the perpetrators families can also carry the burden and shame of another members wrong doing. My situation is a lot like that. What I've read of your story so far reminds me that I will need to toughen up and persevere if there's to be any justice for the victims. I will read through your story from the beginning as time permits in order to gain a better understanding. Thankyou for sharing your journey with everyone. It takes courage!

Re - Thomson connection...In around Nov. 2012 a young man initially calling himself Carl McMahon, sought me out. He said he was our 1/2 brother and that his real name was James Carl Thomson. He claimed to be the son of Caroline Thomson (D.O.B. 3/12/48), that her Father was Quentin Thomson, brother to Prosper. He told us that when his Mother died in 1988, his Grandfather took him to England (aged 6) to live for much of his School years and he later returned to Australia. James was now searching for his biological Father (our father, whom he remembered well) but hadn't seen since his Mothers' death and thus needing our help. Over a 6 month period he immersed himself into all branches of our family. He met and re-bonded with his Father (also our father) and even did a D.N.A. test and showed us the results that proved his Paternity claims. He collected up a lot of information about 'his new family' (our Family). He helped us with some things. He was very good with computers. He sent me information about the Thomson (his) Family. He introduced me to the 'Smithsonian' site and various other SM sites and encouraged me to go 'on line' . He wanted our relationship/D.N.A. connection to remain a secret until he felt ready to inform everyone, in particular his own family (Thomsons) so my brother and I agreed to abide his request. We tried our hardest to be supportive during his harrowing time of self discovery, until he'd had time to adjust.
I informed Police about our new 1/2 brothers claims, but Police said they could find no record of him. James said his was a 'Home Birth' and never registered, as explanation. It was also why he needed his (our) father in order to validate his Birth Certificate. In many ways James storey was plausible, but as time went on there were a few things that didn't quite add up. When I'd press for further explanation he'd become either very upset/cry or 'get angry'. A few times he just hung up. I only wanted to know the truth.
Then suddenly, and without further explanation from him, he sent me an email stating that I was not to communicate our months of emails to anyone else, and I was 'not to respond' and to I was to cease contact. Then I received from James, a Stat. Dec. by registered mail, enclosed was a 'return envelope' and he demanded that the results of his and our fathers D.N.A. tests be returned to him... 'immediately'. I've not heard from him since.
James also told me a lot about 'trolls', his cousin Joel (Kate's son)and about other people he knew that were making a menace of themselves on a number of SM sites. Trouble is now, I don't know whether he's was our 1/2 brother, prankster in need of psychological help or a fraud. Either way, over a 6mth. period we opened our homes to him, and we extended our love and trust.
I have never sought out members of the Thomson family. I've not intruded into their homes or lives. My brother and I obviously want to know if James Carl Thomson is a genuine member of their Family or a pretender (he stated Prosper was his Great Uncle and Jestyn his Aunt). We want to know whether his claims about our 'shared father' are true or not. If the Thomsons or anyone else can help us get to the truth we'd be very grateful. If he was sent in by the Thomson family we deserve a worthy explanation and an apology. If none of it was true I consider it to be committing fraud and criminal.
While James was in our lives he also pointed out that our Surname came up in connection to the Mangnoson case. Our name also appeared on Prospers War File, and the reasons for both remains unanswered.
Sorry, there was no short answer to your question, but like I said re-Thomson connection... "I don't really know, but I'd like to find out".

Respectfully snipped.

Xlamb I've done some research into Quentin Thomson, with some surprising results.

I established some time ago that Prosper Thomson was the son of Ernest Chalmers Thomson.

I searched the National Archives for any mention of a Quentin Thomson and found only one listed. He enlisted in the RAAF in 1942. Long story short, this Quentin Thomson listed his NOK as his father, E. C. Thomson, living at 70 Benboyd Road Neutral Bay, NSW. I checked the NSW Electoral Rolls and found Quentin, his father Ernest Chalmers Thomson and Quentin's sister Isabel Thomson living at that address in 1943. So I knew I had the right man.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

Click images to enlarge
Quentin-Thomson.jpg
Quenton-THOMSON-1942.jpg

Quentin Thomson gave his date of birth as 17 January 1919 but in a later service record he stated his date of birth was 17 January 1922. He probably upped his age by a couple of years to enlist in the RAAF. In the later service record he stated that he married Ellen Sarah (no maiden name given) in 1945.

Quentin Thomson and Ellen Sarah Mitchell married in Ballarat on 21 April 1945

I found the death record for Quentin's wife. She died in 1974 and her husband Quentin Thomson was the informant on her death certificate. What is very interesting is that there were no children to the marriage of Quentin Thomson and Ellen Sarah Mitchell. If you have a look at the death certificate below you will see that there were no children (Not any) born to the marriage.

Click image to enlarge
Ellen-Sarah-Thomson-DC-1974.jpg
You may need to enlarge this image. Once you've clicked on the thumbnail, right click on the enlarged image and save it to your computer.

So it would seem that the Caroline Thomson Carl McMahon mentioned was not the daughter of Quentin Thomson, brother of Prosper Thomson. The simple reason being that Quentin didn't have any children. Now it might be said (by Carl McMahon or someone else) that perhaps Quentin fathered Caroline Thomson out of wedlock or with another woman other than his wife Ellen. The only way to find out who Caroline Thomson's parents were is to order a copy of her birth certificate. Carl McMahon very kindly gave you her date of birth, which is great. (I wonder why he did that?). It won't be easy to order Caroline's birth certificate unless you can prove that you are the next of kin. Did Carl ever show you a copy of his mother's birth or death certificate? If Caroline did in fact die in 1988 as Carl said, the information on the death certificate would only be as good as the memory (or honesty) of the informant giving that information. Caroline was no longer alive to correct any mistakes. So her birth certificate would be more accurate IMO.

I've also searched for the Electoral Rolls (NSW, Qld. & Vic.) for a Caroline Thomson who may have been living with or near Quentin and his wife. There are so many Caroline Thomson's listed, it is very difficult to pinpoint the correct one. The fact that Carl's surname is McMahon leads me to wonder if his mother married someone by the name of McMahon. I've also searched for a marriage and death for a Caroline McMahon without success at this stage.

Quentin Thomson died in 2007. I should have his death notice from the Melbourne Sun either later tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know what it reveals.

You also said that Carl told you that your family are mentioned in Prosper's war record. This is incorrect. Prosper's war record has been digitised and is available for download on the NAA site. There are only seven pages in the record and you can download it at the link below. It's just a matter of right clicking on each page and saving it to your computer.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

Click on Advanced, then click on All levels. Type his name into the Keywords tile box.

VX67088 THOMSON PROSPER MCTAGGART : Service Number - VX67088 : Date of birth - 26 Oct 1912 : Place of birth - CHARTERS TOWERS QLD : Place of enlistment - CAULFIELD VIC : Next of Kin - THOMSON QUEENIE

Do the same to read the 69 page digitised copy of Quentin Thomson's service record.

THOMSON QUENTIN : Service Number - 64672 : Date of birth - 17 Jan 1922 : Place of birth - ROSE BAY NSW : Place of enlistment - SYDNEY : Next of Kin - THOMSON ELLEN

Makara...Gosh you've been very busy! I'd say that the name Carl McMahon was the alias my 'said 1/2 brother' used to make initial contact. He admitted to this early and became James Carl Thomson from then on. Looking back I think I'd be safe to say he's used Robin's middle name (McMahon) as his Surname. Since 2002 I've kept a written running sheet of sorts, and I just got it out to check if I recorded any of our conversations from around Nov. 2012 on. Unfortunately I remember I stopped doing it regularly for James as there was just too much information and he was calling at minimum twice daily as he researched his family tree (and 'Mine'). On the 15/2/13 I've recorded the Thomson siblings as
# Gaston (friend to Abe Safron)
# Prosper 6'3'' (wife 1/Queenie) (wife 2/Jestyn 4'9"). That later became Jessica Ellen
Thomson
# Quentin
# Adrien (wife Blanche)
# Isobel
All 3 lived together at Jarvis Bay in their latter years and died within months of each
other (I think this is Adrien, Blanche and Gaston/James believed that Gaston was 'Gay' )
# Rollo...was killed in an air accident (Gaston pretended to be Rollo). This is what I've written as James rattled things off and not sure how much weight can be placed on it.
13/2/13 There's also a note at bottom of the page...Great Grandfather Earnest Thomson and....
Quentin was interviewed in the 70's about Somerton Man.
Under this is also written...Robin in Poultney Grammar...I can hardly believe my own eyes. I wrote it down but didn't remember. In 2013 I didn't know I'd be reviewing this Jetty photo of course.
That should mean Robin can be found on the School enrolments at Poultney Grammar. It could also mean that there is more likely a connection between both lads standing on the Jetty. It adds weight to the likelihood that the lad in the wetsuit is Robin and from the same School as Trevor Gooch.
Sorry, I know I'm going off topic here but as I turn each page there's something new.
Quentin Meacock Thomson. Has anyone else wondered about the very unusual middle name the Thomson men were given?
I have the Death Certificate for baby Elizabeth Thomson 7/11/42. She lived for 3/4 hours. (Prosper McTaggart Thomson and Queenie Elizabeth Thomson formally Willder). Must have been very sad loosing their first baby together.
I recall James telling me that Quentin did have a few wives. I think one or 2 died. There was a son born (killed in an accident I think) as well as Caroline I'm sure (Caroline Alison Thomson). Quentin's last wife brought her own children to the marriage and my understanding from James was that they were very much a happy family. For a while I was in email contact with his Aunt Val (Quentin raised her). They seemed to have a good life. Travelled a lot and not at all short of money, but James wasn't sure how he made it. There were relatives in Africa. James was full of information about his family and I'm sure his Mother was 'real' and a daughter to Quentin, but James did have trouble with acquiring records and he had some of his own reservations about his Mum, but he showed me a photo of Caroline and Quentin together and I could see the resemblance. But I don't know if what he showed me was true obviously.
It was the issue of Caroline's death that became the sticking point as there seemed to be no Death Certificate, nor was there any Obituary notices to be found and James was a good researcher and very keen to get to the bottom of, and truth behind his own family. I think I recall James saying Caroline's Mother's name was 'Nunn' and as a baby was handed over for Quentin to raise, but it's testing my memory. At one stage James believed his Mother was still alive and searching out that line of inquiry, but I never found out how his journey ended. Sometimes I wasn't sure whether he was searching his family for his identity or he was creating one. James was Gay so a bit like a boy/girlfriend and we'd chat along those lines. He loved to shop. He did do some courageous things to help us and took some risks to do it. He'd put flowers on my Mother and Sisters grave regularly. At other times he drove me a bit crazy as I couldn't keep up while he took me on his journey. I'd like to think he found what he was looking for (perhaps he found his Mother) and I sense one day I'll bump into him again. He chose a strange way to leave. I thought he might have got himself into a bit of trouble with all his poking around, and he may have found out something he'd rather have not (re-Quentin). Certainly if he was our 1/2 brother it brings our father back into question re- the odds of having a secret relationship and child to a Thomson. He was married to his second wife at the time (adding 3 more children from that marriage). So there were 6 of us and if James ever returns it's 7.

Re- Prospers War Records...You'll find 'that name' on his Discharge Papers down the list at No.5 'Certificate To Be Signed By' etc. stamped Caulfield / Date 21-9-43 signature of Soldier and signature of witness near bottom of the page. My Grandfather had the same initial, but it's probably just a coincidence.

I have the Mangnoson Inquest and Investigation file also. I'll try to finish up a few other matters for you tomorrow and hope all the muddle above hasn't left you confused. Thanks!

Makara...I think perhaps I should start from the beginning if you're wanting to research the Thomson Family. In the end though, I doubt going down that track will resolve the dilemma for SM; how he died, who had a hand in it/placed him on the beach in 1948 or will give him a name. It would be nice to find SM's family although those that knew him are most likely deceased now. We might hope his photo is sitting in someone's old black and white family photos, but whether those family members (maybe older nieces and nephews, their children or his own Grandchildren) would know what they're looking at or would use the Internet to find out, is another question. If we had a name for SM it would resolve much of the mystery I think. I believe that it's my father that might hold the answer to SM's true identity, as he had the I.D. with his photo attached. The name on that I.D. 'H.C. Reynolds' may not be correct, although I think that the name 'Reynolds' will be in it somewhere. My father liked to make puzzles for everything.

Re- James... Initially he told me that he'd been scouted out by Kate and her son Joel. They thought that James might have actually been SM's Grandson and I think he might have thought it possible himself for a short time (obviously then Kate recognised Caroline's existence within their family). One of the reasons James showed me his Mother's photo against Quentin's was to use as comparison to show me their resemblance as Father and Daughter.
James told me that Quentin and Prosper were not close and that for much of James younger years spent in England etc. he hadn't really known a lot about his extended family in Australia. Quentin would travel back and forth regularly though.
Caroline was a Nurse and also did hairdressing (told that she worked at Flinders Hospital prior to 1988). James said she had a problem with alcohol. It's what he remembers.

I visited James during his Hospital stay at Daw Park (Repat) and I was sitting at his bedside when a Nurse came in to give him some medication. She asked him his full name and date of birth before she handed over the tablets. His reply matched the details he'd always given me (apart from the initial 'Carl McMahon') and I don't see how such a scenario could be staged (e.g. bribe the Nurse). When Quentin took James overseas (aged 6) he was added to Quentin's Passport and this was deemed acceptable to take him out of the country back then. There was no-one contesting/protesting his leaving the country as a child, that he knew of. James then came under the British Health System as a child and again identity accepted via his Grandfather and he attended School etc. and who he was never questioned as far as James knew. When James resettled back in Australia (Interstate) that arrangement transferred to Medicare. I've seen James Driver's license also.

When Prof. Abbott and his students began to dig into the Thomson Families (due to the Jestyn connection) it bothered them obviously, and I think we can all understand how unsettling it would be to have strangers examining your relatives lives in such detail. I think that motivated them to do their own family research first (unearth any family skeletons), and I expect it's why James was tracked down in the process. Finding his 'real' father (ours also) became part of that process. We presume that all parents register their children's births, but children have no control or say in it. James was told at the Registry Office that his dilemma was more common than people thought, particularly for Aboriginal children. If these things aren't done automatically by a parent, children are left the task of proving who they are to establish identity and requiring a belated Birth Certificate, and that in turn has them looking for their parents Birth/Death records, and on and on it goes. When people get married it tidies up a lot of those loose ends in the 'who's who' and so on, but not all the circumstances of ones birth are perfect and 'by the book'; not everyone marries. The Thomson family might have been more forthcoming with information if they hadn't felt stalked, and after all, whatever happened in the past concerning their parents is hardly their fault or 'cross to bare'.
During my conversations with Gerry Feltus (author The Unknown Man) he was also unable to establish the existence of Caroline, but I'm happy to leave it there. Thanks!

Xlamb, in regard to the Thomsons, I'm not really wanting to research them. I just did some digging on Quentin etc. in the hope that it may help you with what James had told you about his connection to the family and in turn your family.

How did your father come to have a photo of H. C. Reynolds and is there a story behind Reynolds? Your father would have been about 20 when the Somerton Man was found in 1948. Is your father still alive? Do you know if he remembers anything about Somerton Man being found and the mystery surrounding his identity?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back