Australia - Tiahleigh Palmer, 12, slain, Pimpama River, Qld, 30 Oct 2015 #2 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Category: | The Courier Mail

Ughhh did I miss this before or? Did he leave her in her bedroom over night, or he just hadn't cleaned up yet? :eek: I trust they all slept well that night. Absolutely lovely family.

"I have her hidden and I'm going to get rid of her tomorrow night. I'm going to leave home tomorrow morning, as if I'm going off to school as if I'm going to collect some car parts."

Thorburn had told his wife: "Go to bed. Tomorrow will be a normal day."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9791556

Category: | The Courier Mail

Ughhh did I miss this before or? Did he leave her in her bedroom over night, or he just hadn't cleaned up yet? :eek: I trust they all slept well that night. Absolutely lovely family.

I don't think there would have been any real clean up (other than Tiah herself). I doubt there was any blood. I think Tiah was still in there overnight.

That morning, Joshua Thorburn was told not to go into his foster sister’s room.
He walked past her door but did not look.
His father Rick had smothered Tiahleigh the night before to prevent any scandal about brother Trent’s sexual relationship with a child.
Tiahleigh Palmer’s fate was sealed once she met the Thorburns

The Supreme Court heard Tiahleigh was mostly naked when her body was found and there was a bruise on her scalp.
Tiahleigh Palmer's foster father jailed for life for 'callous' murder and cover-up

In fact, I think Tiah may have been in her bedroom - deceased - for almost 24 hours.

About 8pm on the evening of October 30, Thorburn told his wife Julene he had something to do and not to ask questions.
After backing his car into a garage and spending about half an hour there, he took off to dispose of Tiahleigh's body.
Three hours later he returned home covered in dirt and told his family "it's done".
Foster Father Sentenced To Life In Prison For Tiahleigh Palmer Murder - ten daily

Sometime between 8pm and 10pm on October 29, Thorburn murdered the 12-year-old, the court was told.
Tiahleigh’s foster dad sentenced for murder

In fact, I think Tiah may have been in her bedroom - deceased - for almost 24 hours.

About 8pm on the evening of October 30, Thorburn told his wife Julene he had something to do and not to ask questions.
After backing his car into a garage and spending about half an hour there, he took off to dispose of Tiahleigh's body.
Three hours later he returned home covered in dirt and told his family "it's done".
Foster Father Sentenced To Life In Prison For Tiahleigh Palmer Murder - ten daily

Sometime between 8pm and 10pm on October 29, Thorburn murdered the 12-year-old, the court was told.

Seems so SA

That morning, Joshua Thorburn was told not to go into his foster sister’s room.
He walked past her door but did not look.

His father Rick had smothered Tiahleigh the night before to prevent any scandal about brother Trent’s sexual relationship with a child.

Josh would later lie to police, telling them he’d spoken to Tiahleigh in the morning as she’d been getting ready for school, before she run away.

But it was his mother Julene who had orchestrated the cover-up, because she did not want to lose her “family and lifestyle”.

Julene and Rick held a family meeting with Trent and Josh, telling the boys “it’s all been taken care of”.

Rick was relying on his family's loyalty to keep the dark secret. He expected no less, and his sons feared him, believing a story he once told them that he had killed before and gotten away with it.

Rick Thorburn carried Tiahleigh's coffin, hosted sombre birthday party after killing her

from your link tgy
Despite eventually pleading guilty, Thorburn still has not helped investigators.
"I'd love to hear from his own mouth what he did and why he did it," Inspector Hansen said.
"If Rick was doing something he'd look after himself before he looks after his family."

But it was his mother Julene who had orchestrated the cover-up, because she did not want to lose her “family and lifestyle”.

Julene and Rick held a family meeting with Trent and Josh, telling the boys “it’s all been taken care of”.

Yes, I have read in several places now that it was Julene who orchestrated the cover up, not Rick.
She seriously should have faced bigger penalties than she faced.
She did not commit the actual murder, but there is no way that I believe she did not know it was going to happen ... and when.
And then she was implicit in the cover up.

Julene Thorburn orchestrated the cover-up of husband Rick’s murder of Tiahleigh to keep her family together on the farm
No cookies | NT News

BBM
Trent Thorburn, charged with four offences relating to Tiahleigh’s death, including incest, also allegedly admitted he knew Tiahleigh had reached out to his mother Julene, telling her of the abuse.
Nocookies (The Australian Sept 22, 2016)

Mr Heaton told the court the killing took place while his wife Julene, Trent and another son Joshua were out of the family home late on October 29, 2015.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/qld/2018/05/25/tiahleigh-palmers-foster-father-court/

I somehow feel he's killed before.....

They were caught out when police bugged their home and captured incriminating evidence.
In one conversation, he was recorded telling Julene: "No, but don't you tell anyone ever, no matter what — that's when things will *advertiser censored** up."
When other family members were arrested and finally admitted the truth, it was all over for Thorburn. ,"He was very agitated. He didn't see it coming" Detective Inspector Damien Hansen said.
"We had a very strong circumstantial case and they were the extra that we needed."
The killer himself refused to cooperate with police and maintained his right to silence.

He has never told police, nor his family, how he killed Tiahleigh.

Rick Thorburn carried Tiahleigh's coffin, hosted sombre birthday party after killing her

Poor little Tiah. All she ever needed and wanted was for someone to love her and keep her safe, like every child deserves. Instead, this family betrayed her trust, took advantage of her innocence and took her life. They all make me sick to my stomach.

Yes, it appears that way. I initially thought he must of put her in the shed earlier. So they basically all knew there was a dead body in the next room and what...just went about their lives. Sick. :eek:

I agree Julene 100% knew what was happening and was involved in the cover up. But from TGY's link above of what was heard on the listening devices...

Julene Thorburn to Joshua Thorburn: Dad made the decision to go down that path and unfortunately we are going to have to live with it.

Rick Thorburn to Julene: No, but don't you tell anyone ever, no matter what — that's when things will *advertiser censored** up.

Julene responded: No I'm not, this cannot go on like this, it's not fair to everyone.

I was thinking that last reply is the only slick of remorse I've seen from any of them.

Edit: But thinking about it, she could be talking about how it's so unfair on her family. Think I read it wrong. Never mind me.

It’s NOT bewildering question and she didn’t slip through any cracks. It’s bloody obvious stupidity that a 12 yr old girl was placed into a home with two teenage boys with working parents.
The laws must change and heads should roll over this IMO.

Would any mother with a 12 yr old girl allow her to sleep just one night there? NO!

But as Brown reveals, so too is the bewildering question of how an innocent schoolgirl, in desperate need of a safe and loving family, could slip through the cracks and become a victim of the child safety system in the most horrendous way.

How police broke the Thorburn family's vow of secrecy

I’m sorry this happened to you Tiah

Rick Thorburn carried Tiahleigh's coffin, hosted sombre birthday party after killing her - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

On April 13, 2016, the day Tiahleigh would have turned 13, Thorburn threw her a birthday party and invited her school friends.

Louie Naumovski, who runs the Logan House Fire Support Network charity, attended the party and said he clearly remembered the sombre day on which everyone sang Happy Birthday to the dead girl.

Thorburn was right there as the face of the event.

"He's there telling me about how she was loved, how she would have been 13," Mr Naumovski said.

"He started crying. It was horrendous how we fell for it."

I have no words . . .

RSBM
May offend some.

24 hours - later October - Qld - summer
  • It takes around 12 hours for a human body to be cool to the touch and 24 hours to cool to the core.
  • Rigor mortis commences after three hours and lasts until 36 hours after death.

Decomposition - Body Changes - Australian Museum

Edit: But thinking about it, she could be talking about how it's so unfair on her family. Think I read it wrong. Never mind me.

Yes, I definitely think Julene was thinking about her own family, her boys.

Firstly, not wanting Trent to go to court for sex with a minor - and be put onto the sex offender registry - as if FACS or Tiah's biological family had discovered this fact, one would think that legal proceedings would have to ensue.

Secondly, because Julene's sons must have been feeling fairly high anxiety, on a prolonged basis. Keeping this planned "disappearance" a secret. Not succumbing to police pressure. Living day to day with the murderer. Knowing your dad can take a life so easily.

POLICE used CCTV scanning technology only available in the UK during the hunt for Tiahleigh Palmer’s killer............

“The family gave us a very plausible version – that she was dropped off at school,” he said. “We then collected in excess of 50,000 hours of CCTV.”
Insp Hansen said they did not have the ability to scour through 50,000 hours of CCTV for Tiahleigh or Thorburn’s blue Ford Falcon................

Insp Hansen said police flew the footage to London where local police used an algorithm to scan it for Tiahleigh and Thorburn’s car.
“We had video of Tiahleigh walking and doing dancing … and they looked at the biomechanics of her movements and gait,” he said.
“They were able to look at that and look at vehicle shapes and we were confident … that we did not pick her or Rick’s vehicle up (on CCTV).”
Detectives also tracked the path of a truck that also drove past Tiahleigh’s school the morning Thorburn claimed to have dropped her at the gate.
The court heard Thorburn lied about dropping her off – he had murdered her the night before – and police were able to prove the lie by following the truck in relation toits proximity to Rick’s blue car.

The truck did not pull into the school and footage showed the blue car maintained the same distance from it.

Brit technology put killer in frame

When Julene and the boys returned they were summoned to the lounge room, where they asked if Tiahleigh was feeling better.
She said Thorburn explained: "It's all taken care of."
Julene said she asked: "What do you mean by that?"
She said Thorburn replied: "Don't ask any questions, you don't need to know. I have taken care of it. We do things like we normally do."
Julene said she walked past Tiahleigh's bedroom door, which was closed, but when she moved to go into the room she was stopped by her husband.
She said Thorburn told her: "Don't go in there. I told you it is sorted. Go to bed — tomorrow will be a normal day."

Julene said she woke the next morning and went straight to Tiahleigh's bedroom, which was empty and messy.
She said her husband was at the gym with their son Josh and she knew it was her chance to alert police, but she did nothing.
"At this point I was really worried and concerned and assumed the worst — that Rick had killed Tiah," she told police officers in her statement.
The couple ran a daycare centre from their house and children were due to arrive at 8:00am.
Thorburn left before anyone arrived so he would not be seen leaving for the school drop-off without Tiahleigh.
Hours later, a youth worker called to tell the Thorburns that Tiahleigh had not shown up for a meeting.

Julene told police: "I felt horrified. I felt like I was acting out a part that I didn't want to play."

o_O :mad:

Killer's wife knew Tiahleigh Palmer's body was being dumped, but kept family's secret

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member