Australia - Toyah Cordingley, 24, body found on beach, 22 October 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three weeks since the DNA testing of local residents. I wonder when the results will come back, also whether everybody complied. I'm surprised how quiet the Police are considering there is a murderer on the loose.

Article: Residents undergo DNA testing as hunt for Toyah Cordingley's killer continues

"Residents of a small beachside community in far north Queensland are undergoing DNA testing as police search for a young woman's killer."

Her “larger than average dog”, identified as a German shepherd cross, great dane, mastiff, was found tied up at the scene, the Daily Mail reports.

Does anyone know if this cross breed would really like swimming?
Looking at Wangetti car park there appears to be trails leading off into the dunes/bush so could Toyah have followed the dog through the trails and not along the beach and stumbled upon a backpacker type camping in there.

I agree, it’s really scary to think THAT is still walking around out there. I keep turning it over in my brain as 1) it’s someone she knows and premeditated so there’d have to be some clues... (like she might have mentioned to friends or family about someone creepy) 2) its no one she knows and just incredibly unlucky timing because some creep/s thought it a good idea 3) it was some itinerant and they could be anywhere now and no friends/ fam to notice behaviour change 4)someone under the influencers something and doesn’t even know what they’ve done 5) some freakish accident and the person doesn’t know what they’ve done... ugh that poor girl

View attachment 155752
Some people carry large sticks like this to protect from other dogs, yes?

Calling on breaking news’s expertise please?
Would there be any dingos up around there? (Not that it really matters)
Yes dingos could be around. I have heard dingos much closer to Cairns in the northern beaches bushland. Also Hartley's Crocodile farm used to have dingos, so their call could have attracted wild dingos. But I haven't been to Hartley's for years so don't know if they still have them in captivity there.

This is such a wonderful new technology. Tempted to get mine done just in case I have any criminals in the family! Seriously lol. I know I'm clean. Here's a nice succinct article about it. It appears it doesn't matter who you purchase your DNA through, but after that it's your choice to upload it to a central database for comparison. Sorry if that's so obvious. To think the golden state killer was a cop - so appalling. Hopefully he's copping it in prison!

The Coming Wave of Murders Solved by Genealogy - The Atlantic
Very interesting article, iailwa. Ancestry DNA testing has solved a few cold cases. My understanding in Australia is that police can access any of these data bases without permission. However I can't find a link about this, so AIMHO.

Hello everyone, I am new here. I found you all while searching the internet about this case. I live in the Cairns hinterland, and some of the rumours I have heard around the place relating to Toyah's body are truly disturbing.

My opinion is that the police have a suspect, and are trying to flush them out. There are no official police warnings anywhere that I have seen for women to be careful. No media stories along those lines either.

Toyah's family friend is keeping the case in the public eye, lately with bumper stickers. I apologise if you can't read the article behind the paywall, Newscorp are not generous whatsoever with any freely available information on Toyah's case. Sometimes you can read one article a day on the Cairns Post facebook page.

No Cookies | The Cairns Post

The killer/s would have had plenty of time to return to the beach that night after killing Toyah, as suggested by a commenter on this article.

Hello everyone, I am new here. I found you all while searching the internet about this case. I live in the Cairns hinterland, and some of the rumours I have heard around the place relating to Toyah's body are truly disturbing.

My opinion is that the police have a suspect, and are trying to flush them out. There are no official police warnings anywhere that I have seen for women to be careful. No media stories along those lines either.

Toyah's family friend is keeping the case in the public eye, lately with bumper stickers. I apologise if you can't read the article behind the paywall, Newscorp are not generous whatsoever with any freely available information on Toyah's case. Sometimes you can read one article a day on the Cairns Post facebook page.

No Cookies | The Cairns Post

The killer/s would have had plenty of time to return to the beach that night after killing Toyah, as suggested by a commenter on this article.
welcome storm warning!!
are there any general feelings of fear regarding a killer in the community?
do you think toyahs killer returned later to her body?

i havent read this before, not sure if its true or the journalists spin....

Ms Cordingley was dressed in a bikini and walking her dog down the beach when she was attacked and killed last Sunday.

"We've got a flyer that we've been giving to the stallholders, they may remember her, they may remember serving her last weekend," she said.

"There may have been someone suspicious that was hanging around her at the stall.
Police seek family seen on beach near where Toyah Cordingley was found

Hartley's Crocodile Adventures owner Angela Freeman told The Courier Mail it wouldn't have mattered if she had her phone on her.

'Even if Toyah had her phone, and was in fear of her life, there is no signal, and she would not have been able to make an emergency call for help.

The cry for help that no one heard: Locals reveal murdered woman, 24, was in a black spot for reception – as police take DNA swabs from illegal campers in the hunt for her killer

The resident added there were a number of people in the community who lived 'unofficially' in illegal camps.

Last edited:
Thankyou bearbear for the welcome. To answer your questions:
Yes there is a general fear but unfortunately in this age of 24/7 social media, people quickly move onto the next thing. I myself am shocked that there is no public police advice or warnings to women.

Toyah has an aunt living up this way, so I think more a feeling up here of wanting to protect the quite well-known lady from vicious gossip. I know for a fact that Toyah has previously visited shops in my town.

There is a particularly awful rumour going around about the state of Toyah's body. I won't repeat it here because I would not want to cause her family any more pain, and I don't know if it is true. Having said that, the rumour would fit with a drug-crazed killing. Ice is a big problem around the whole area. Itinerants are also a big problem around Cairns.
Wangetti Beach is also a location for drug fuelled raves according to locals who have commented on facebook. If you trawl the Cairns Post fb page, some of the locals' comments on articles about Toyah are very interesting, there are little snippets of information, such as Wangetti being a well known place for "odd bods" as the media have described them.

In regard to the journalists, they are ridiculous. They simply comb social media for photos and then try to put words to the photos without any context in regard to time. The media made a big deal of her posting about women walking alone, making out it was days before her murder when in fact it was 4 months previously. They seem to have corrected their blatant headline grabbing mistakes now though.

At one point, the photo of Toyah in her bikini on the beach was alluded to as being the day of her murder, I can't find a link now though.
Apparently, the police do not know if she changed her clothing after visiting the markets which suggests she was completely naked.
I don't know if the killer/s returned to her body but it certainly is possible. If the police can't find her clothing, phone, purse or car keys the perpetrator may have returned to the scene later. This is obviously why the police divers from Brisbane were brought up, to try and locate these items.

From 2pm Sunday until about 7am Monday when she was found by her father (not stepfather), the killer had plenty of time to return to the scene, perhaps multiple times. I find it interesting her mother was with her father when the dog and then Toyah were found. It makes me think they were immediately extremely concerned about Toyah and her potential involvement with someone known to them. As breaking news suggested earlier maybe a new boyfriend on the scene or something like that?

I find the whole timeline very confusing too in regard to the actual time she was reported missing. It makes sense her family relised in the early morning she was missing and they immediately went to Wangetti to look for her. If it was realised she was missing the night before at 11pm, why didn't they go up there then? They would have seen her car straight away. Perhaps they rang around the night before and were told Toyah was fine, and it wasn't until the morning they realised she wasn't. So many details lacking here from police which makes me think they have a suspect.

Thankyou bearbear for the welcome. To answer your questions:
Yes there is a general fear but unfortunately in this age of 24/7 social media, people quickly move onto the next thing. I myself am shocked that there is no public police advice or warnings to women.

Toyah has an aunt living up this way, so I think more a feeling up here of wanting to protect the quite well-known lady from vicious gossip. I know for a fact that Toyah has previously visited shops in my town.

There is a particularly awful rumour going around about the state of Toyah's body. I won't repeat it here because I would not want to cause her family any more pain, and I don't know if it is true. Having said that, the rumour would fit with a drug-crazed killing. Ice is a big problem around the whole area. Itinerants are also a big problem around Cairns.
Wangetti Beach is also a location for drug fuelled raves according to locals who have commented on facebook. If you trawl the Cairns Post fb page, some of the locals' comments on articles about Toyah are very interesting, there are little snippets of information, such as Wangetti being a well known place for "odd bods" as the media have described them.

In regard to the journalists, they are ridiculous. They simply comb social media for photos and then try to put words to the photos without any context in regard to time. The media made a big deal of her posting about women walking alone, making out it was days before her murder when in fact it was 4 months previously. They seem to have corrected their blatant headline grabbing mistakes now though.

At one point, the photo of Toyah in her bikini on the beach was alluded to as being the day of her murder, I can't find a link now though.
Apparently, the police do not know if she changed her clothing after visiting the markets which suggests she was completely naked.
I don't know if the killer/s returned to her body but it certainly is possible. If the police can't find her clothing, phone, purse or car keys the perpetrator may have returned to the scene later. This is obviously why the police divers from Brisbane were brought up, to try and locate these items.

From 2pm Sunday until about 7am Monday when she was found by her father (not stepfather), the killer had plenty of time to return to the scene, perhaps multiple times. I find it interesting her mother was with her father when the dog and then Toyah were found. It makes me think they were immediately extremely concerned about Toyah and her potential involvement with someone known to them. As breaking news suggested earlier maybe a new boyfriend on the scene or something like that?

I find the whole timeline very confusing too in regard to the actual time she was reported missing. It makes sense her family relised in the early morning she was missing and they immediately went to Wangetti to look for her. If it was realised she was missing the night before at 11pm, why didn't they go up there then? They would have seen her car straight away. Perhaps they rang around the night before and were told Toyah was fine, and it wasn't until the morning they realised she wasn't. So many details lacking here from police which makes me think they have a suspect.

Hi Storm Warning, thanks for coming into the thread and sharing with us.

There are bits of of information that I am not even aware of in relation to Toyah's case and the ongoing vibe in the town so it is nice to have a direct locals perspective.

I wonder if they were known to each other or random.

15/11/2018 - 09:00
A woman has been hospitalised and a man charged with assault after a violent incident in the heart of Port Douglas early Wednesday morning.

A 27-year-old woman was taken to hospital with suspected facial fractures after being repeatedly punched and kicked by a man on Davidson Street (Port Douglas Road).

Several witnesses saw the woman being assaulted and came to her aid as the attacker fled the scene on foot.

Police were called to the scene and quickly found the attacker before taking him into custody.

The 31-year-old Port Douglas man was charged with one count of aggravated grievous bodily harm and has been remanded to appear in the Cairns Magistrates Court today.
Arrest following serious assault in Port Douglas

Hi Storm Warning, thanks for coming into the thread and sharing with us.

There are bits of of information that I am not even aware of in relation to Toyah's case and the ongoing vibe in the town so it is nice to have a direct locals perspective.

Hello Ariona and thank you. Unfortunately, we cannot wholly rely on the media. In this modern age, newspapers do not do investigative journalism anymore, they rely on social media and make up captions to grab attention and $$$. Sad but true. I personally know a bright young spark who left a non-commercial news organisation due to this method.

Some locals also keep mentioning the Cooktown murder of Donna Steele in regard to Toyah's case. I don't know the connection they are alluding to but apparently Donna's murderer turned out to be her neighbour's son with ice involved. Perhaps they are talking about drugs being the connection. Cooktown is not far away and Cairns is the nearest "big town."

People are angry about Toyah, it seems she was a very popular, lovely young lady.

I wonder if they were known to each other or random.

15/11/2018 - 09:00
A woman has been hospitalised and a man charged with assault after a violent incident in the heart of Port Douglas early Wednesday morning.

I would wager they were known to each other. Unfortunately, both Port Douglas and Palm Cove are beautiful, expensive tourist destinations filled with itinerants.

Thanks for your exceptional posts Storm Warning.

With regards to the print media there is an old saying I like; 'If you believe everything you read you may as well eat everything you see.'
I have no idea what the police are holding back but a fair bit of it will be information only the perpetrator would know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member