Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, NSW, 12 Sep 2014 - #70

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the (Coroners) suppression order is only to stop any ID'ing of any family. I don't think the DM is actually ID'ing anyone, just leaking information gathered during the investigation. Also IMO, this info is what? 6 years old and has probably been fully investigated now by the strike force.
Caroline Overington wrote in November that it wasn't an easy story to tell because there were so many suppression orders, and that the media were fighting them. I don't think she meant just the names. Paywalled: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/su...amic-cold-test-noscore&V21spcbehaviour=append

IMO she might have meant the laws of Foster Children not being ID'd as well as the Coroners orders - it could even be her wording, not meaning anything more than MSN trying to get through these orders - they have tried several times and been rejected.

ETA - when the law was overturned, during AS and FACS law case, the FP were never named only the Bio's - as the result was that William could be named as a foster child. It wasn't necessarily that everyone could be named IMO.

I think that the FP probably have the brief. imo

I don't think they would be leaking to the DM, do you?

Well it certainly wouldn't appear to be in their best interests.

But seperate to this case, it seems kind of perplexing to me that next of kin could have this info on an unsolved and presumably active case. The next of kin can then pass it on to all and sundry, which may not be in the best interests of the case or the next of kin could be POI's.

But as a parent I would absolutely want that brief!

But seperate to this case, it seems kind of perplexing to me that next of kin could have this info on an unsolved and presumably active case. The next of kin can then pass it on to all and sundry, which may not be in the best interests of the case or the next of kin could be POI's.

Totally agree, who would want all this info out there while the investigation is ongoing and could possibly interfere with the case?

Yes, there's no particular mystery how the media could have the documents, but I wonder if suppression orders have been withdrawn or is DM publishing in spite of them.

I think that the DM is probably walking a fine line with regard to a lawsuit.

Their current focus appears to be to release only information that could cast suspicion on the FP.
FD is not even a POI, and they are having a go at him.

I think that the DM is probably walking a fine line with regard to a lawsuit.

Their current focus appears to be to release only information that could cast suspicion on the FP.
FD is not even a POI, and they are having a go at him.

Perhaps they have in their budget a certain amount to pay off any intentional breeches.

I am very surprised also that the holders of the brief do not have to sign some kind of privacy agreement, before they receive the brief. The investigation is not even over. The Coroner has not delivered her verdict.

It seems very ethically wrong. If the BF are leaking this brief to others for the purpose of trying to smear the FP.

(Not to mention a bit pot/kettle, with regard to William.)

imo

Just speaking hypothetically. BD could apply for these documents (or let’s say his mother made the request on his behalf). Once he had them, l have no doubt his mother would read them. Then maybe she passes them onto her close friend the self appointed child advocate, who then passes them onto her friend in the media Candace Sutton? No idea if that’s how it happened but it’s very plausible.
Who's BD?

Is Foster Mum still having a court hearing today on the lying charges? Or is that tomorrow?

Thank you Katy, I think you've answered my musings about why this article has come out today. Court case is tomorrow 24 May.

To be a POI is to have a genuine interest in the proceedings, I would think, and POIs would likely qualify to receive at least the parts of the brief that concern themselves. Police need to consider that before they pass the case on to the coroner.

I think CO was specifically alluding to the charges of alleged assault, in that article (in that regard). The suppression orders were frustrating the media.

It also happens to be the article where CO says "But what if that is wrong? Then William’s foster mother, like his biological family, has now lost everything."

I suspect that CO knows what the alleged assault is about.

imo

Last edited:
I am very surprised also that the holders of the brief do not have to sign some kind of privacy agreement, before they receive the brief. The investigation is not even over. The Coroner has not delivered her verdict.

It seems very ethically wrong. If the BF are leaking this brief to others for the purpose of trying to smear the FP.

(Not to mention a bit pot/kettle, with regard to William.)

imo
It doesn't have to be one family or the other. FACS and the Salvation Army also had lawyers representing them at the inquest and may well have had access to documents. Then there's the police, and the several POI who had leave to appear, although some of them I definitely can't see getting cosy with DM.

Foster family might have shared their own statements with some in the media at an earlier time, not foreseeing that they would become suspects or the use that might be made of the material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member