Austria - Mum locked up girls for 7 yrs

wow, this is astounding. first of all, i was thinking the same thing as floh.. why is the oldest daughter, who would have been locked away since age 14, the worst off of the bunch? normally the younger you are the more permanently this kind of abuse/isolation damages you. so, did she grow up with a normal life before that? if so, how could she just forget everything she learned, or not try to escape? i have to wonder if she had been slowly malnourished since the time she was a child.
also, that photo of the mother...??!!? she looks like a glamour queen, like she really has some kind of perfect veneer she has been holding together. it's actually MORE bizarre to look at her and see that, instead of some dishevelled looking woman, as one might expect.

futhermore, i am with the folks who think the dad was definitely partially responsible- ESPECIALLY since he was a judge. you mean to tell me he had no power to do anything? heck, even the neighbor (whom i presume was not a judge)-- got more done that he did. i don't buy "he tried". he obviously did not try HARD ENOUGH! those are HIS children. how could you not just go down there and break down the door yourself? you better believe i would have done that if i were him, and my wife was denying letting me see my children or letting me know how they were.
and,... there was excrement & waste in the house a meter high....?? OK-- i don't know if i buy that. that's like up to your waist!! how is that possible??!

i always thought people like this mother have a form of hoarding disorder. they can't let go of things (in this case, can't bear to let their children out of the house), the house is usually a complete wreck, they don't notice the unbelievable filth they are living in. and often they can function perfectly normally in the outside world. in fact, they are often known for being fastidiously neat and clean outside their home (which is what could be true, with this lady, judging by her appearance in the photo).
the hoarders who have pets don't notice or care that their pets are sick or suffering- they will deny it to the end and insist they are fine. same with people with too much stuff- all the stuff can be ruined by neglect and they will still be obsessively attached to it. it's like a serious kind of 'mind-blindness' going on.
in this case it actually DOES appear that this woman is severely mentally unbalanced, not just a bad mother. OK, maybe both.

but i don't understand how on earth she could keep it together enough to be a successful lawyer...???? and no one noticed anything odd.....????

those poor girls,, i can't imagine the shock of what they are going through. i hope as they get proper food, care & socialization they will eventually learn some semblance of a normal life and some happiness, and realize they are far better off than they were. thank gawd for the 'nosy' neighbor.. if they didn't say anything, who knows how long the girls would have been captive? i also wonder what it was that made them suspicious.

JanetElaine said:
Liz, the dad tried, he is not at fault. It was others who dropped the ball on this.

Hi JanetElaine - Maybe I was a bit rash in saying to lock him up (and throw away the key), but I was going on what I read in the link I posted.

"Whenever their dad tried to visit them the mother would say they were ill or away visiting grandparents."

It appears to me he certainly wasn't very vigilant in his attempts to see his children; or to be a part of their lives. IF that had been my dad, I feel certain he would have broken down the doors to the house, after a few failed attempts to see me.

Since the man (dad) is/was a judge, I would think he would have been taken pretty seriously about being denied legal visitations to his daughters.

Like the psychologist in the article stated, it's just inconceivable how something like this could happen.

Totally tragic, for sure. Those poor girls ... their lives have been destroyed.

One of the articles said the father took the mother to court 9 times in his attempt to see the girls. Why didn't the courts follow through?

Mabel said:
One of the articles said the father took the mother to court 9 times in his attempt to see the girls. Why didn't the courts follow through?

Good question, Mabel.

I've only read the one article that I posted, so I need to get caught up to speed. But I still sense there is a deeper problem here, besides just mom.

Mabel said:
See what I posted earlier... it wouldn't surprise me if heads were going to roll over this.... ("People in Austria are waiting to hear what politicians and law are going to say about this case. They expect the rolls played by the Schulbehorden (supervisory school authority), Jugendwohlfahrt (Child Protective Services) and the Bezirksgerichts Urfahr-Umgebung (district court of the Urfahr area) to be severely questioned.")

Liz said:
Hi JanetElaine - Maybe I was a bit rash in saying to lock him up (and throw away the key), but I was going on what I read in the link I posted.
No problem Liz, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course. ;) Just like I said he wasn't at fault - of course I don't know that, it was just my first gut feeling.

I am very curious to see how this plays out. This is something that should have never ever happened. I mean a cat and dog were taken from the house, but the girls were left there for five more months?! Come ON. :razz:

screw the courts. i would have gone directly to the police, or child protective services, and told them my children were in danger. let the cops go inside and check it out. you can't tell me this guy was 'powerless' to do that!!!

Mother of Viktoria, Katharina and Elisabeth was afraid of extraterrestrial aliens

According to the latest news of Austrias biggest newspaper this morning, the mother who locked up her three daughters over 7 years was afraid of extraterrestrial aliens. Obviously she locked her daughters because she thought extraterrestrial aliens could kidnap them.

http://www.austrianews.co.uk/2007/0...sabeth-was-afraid-of-extraterrestrial-aliens/

Floh said:
Mother of Viktoria, Katharina and Elisabeth was afraid of extraterrestrial aliens

According to the latest news of Austrias biggest newspaper this morning, the mother who locked up her three daughters over 7 years was afraid of extraterrestrial aliens. Obviously she locked her daughters because she thought extraterrestrial aliens could kidnap them.

http://www.austrianews.co.uk/2007/0...sabeth-was-afraid-of-extraterrestrial-aliens/

I'm wondering if Austria is different about mental illness or if they regularly use mental illness as excuses. I'm not sure I believe that the mother is deranged and not just an abusive hag. The alien business is probably some made up thing. I hope they don't just label the older girl as permanently damaged and stick her in some institution since she probably needs time to correct malnutrition and may need medication .

Quote from Floh's link:

The Education Authority still refuse all reproaches: ?The children were in school, nicely dressed and physically clean?.

??? :confused:

Liz said:
Quote from Floh's link:

The Education Authority still refuse all reproaches: ?The children were in school, nicely dressed and physically clean?.

??? :confused:

I gagged at that and decided not to post because i don't believe it to be true. there's something iffy about that website because the English translation looks as though it's been done electronically.

and, to be honest, this is the only place i've seen the 'mother afraid of alien abduction of daughters' story. :hand:

did anyone catch the TLC show on feral children? it was fascinating and sad. especially the case of genie.

reb said:
did anyone catch the TLC show on feral children? it was fascinating and sad. especially the case of genie.

I went to a website about feral children and spent time there reading about the ones held in captivity.

pretty much the first time i closed a site with tears and decided i simply couldn't read any more about the cruelty.

this is Genie's story, but there are many more on site. :(

http://www.feralchildren.com/en/showchild.php?ch=genie

Floh said:
I gagged at that and decided not to post because i don't believe it to be true. there's something iffy about that website because the English translation looks as though it's been done electronically.

and, to be honest, this is the only place i've seen the 'mother afraid of alien abduction of daughters' story. :hand:

I can't quite buy into that story either, Floh.

Liz said:
I can't quite buy into that story either, Floh.

I question both stories: that the mother was afraid the girls would be abducted by aliens. and that a local school said the children were in school, nicely dressed and physically clean. when? surely prior to the seven years they were locked away?

Okay color me confused. The county schoolboard is saying the girls weren't in school all that often because all girls, and especially one of them, had an extreme fear of going to school. (http://www.nachrichten.at/lokal/517517)

,,The school was in regular contact with the mother, and there was no homeschooling going on'', said Frank Weissenboeck, spokesperson for the schoolboard. According to Weissenboeck the mother did bring the girls to the yearly mandatory testing, and they also went on field trips, he said.

Weissenboeck is of the opinion the school board is not to blame. Even though there was no 'official' homeschooling, the children did learn with the mother a lot, he said, and they always passed the yearly tests. They were clean and cleanly dressed whenever they saw the girls, according to Weissenboeck.

The school board is also dismissing reports about the girls having made their own 'language'. ,,Certainly not, in no way'', said Weissenboeck. ,,Until the girls were removed from the home in 2005, there was nothing we ever saw that pointed to neglect''.

No mention of extra-terrestrials though. :)

txsvicki said:
I'm wondering if Austria is different about mental illness or if they regularly use mental illness as excuses. I'm not sure I believe that the mother is deranged and not just an abusive hag. The alien business is probably some made up thing. I hope they don't just label the older girl as permanently damaged and stick her in some institution since she probably needs time to correct malnutrition and may need medication .
Austria has very high standards in both physical and mental healthcare, as do all Western-European countries. The girls have been in care for well over a year now (since October 2005) and, according to all the articles I have read about this case so far, are continously receiving extensive therapy. I do not think we need to worry about them just sticking these girls in the looney bin.

Apparently the eldest girl was not removed from the home until early 2006, according to the appointed legal advisor/lawyer/'guardian' of the two older girls, Margreth Tews. She had her removed from the home herself, after she was appointed.
Tews then made sure 21-year old Elisabeth was seen by physicians and placed in a mental healthcare facility to receive therapy. Since Elisabeth was at that time already an adult, Tews also made sure the state would pick up the bill for all her healthcare costs, since Child Protective Services wouldn't cover it.

The father is declining to make a press statement about the situation, only saying that ,,that wouldn't make anything better''. Margreth Tews dismissed reports that the situation existed because both parents 'knew how to work the system'.
,,The father is also a victim in this case'', Tews said, ,,and not in the least to blame''. Also the 'very ill' mother cannot be held accountable, she thinks. (http://www.nachrichten.at/lokal/517518)

This is turning into one messed up story.... I don't know who or what to believe anymore. Seems like one of those cases where, as the story unfolds, it also changes about a hundred times. Probably only in the end will we know what exactly happened.
Remains the fact that these three girls are, whatever happened, in terrible shape and I hope and pray that they will recover from this all! And that eventually whoever is responsible will be punished.

Thank you so much for all the updates JanetElaine, confusing as they may be!

Girls imprisoned for seven years

Three girls imprisoned by their mother in a house of indescribable filth for seven years might never recover from the ordeal, experts said yesterday.

The girls were shut away from the outside world, existing in almost complete darkness, playing only with mice and communicating in their own language.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/0...g-after-mom-locked-them-away-for-7-years.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back