Found Safe AZ - Amy Harshbarger, 40, and two sons, 13 & 7, Tempe, Arrest Warrant, 13 Aug 2021 *Mom arrested*

I’m home now, with all 5 of my children asleep under the same roof. Over the past week or so I’ve felt every emotion it’s possible for a human to feel, often all at once. This thread has been a genuinely good resource for me as I navigated this life changing event. There was hope, encouragement and information at a time when nobody seemed to have any answers for me. I thank you all for that, kind internet strangers, I truly thank you.
Know that these boys are in loving environments. Know that both Shawn and I and our families will provide a safe landing pad for them as they come down from this crazy adventure. Miles has gone back to Arizona, and Garrett has joined me and my tribe of barbarians in Ohio. I have given my contact information to Amy’s family and told them they are welcome to see Garrett whenever they like. Her family is just as concerned for her well being as we are for our sons. We must not forget that. I don’t plan to try and withhold Garrett from his mother, whenever I can arrange contact I will do so. Cautiously of course.
As to seeing my teenage son after 10 years, it went as to be expected. A little awkward at first, but we hit our stride when we found common ground with video games. He remembered me from our supervised visits, specifically the time I brought a cheapo RC helicopter and let him fly it. We crashed the *advertiser censored* out of that thing and had a blast. It stuck with him over all these years. We played some Halo together today and he called me dad. There is a part of my heart that has been missing for so long that is finally back in place.
None of this is going to be easy, but I think it’s gonna be alright. I’m setting up counseling for both of us and we will just have to take it a day at a time. I haven’t really asked Garrett about his road trip, or anything about this situation. I told him we can talk when he’s ready. It feels to me like the gravity of the situation hasn’t hit him yet, it will, and we will work through it. There is a lot for me to figure out legally and otherwise, but for now I’m finally getting to know my son, and no power in the verse can stop that.

- Justin

So happy that the boys are safe. It is going to be a huge adjustment for them, being separated from their mom and from each other. Best wishes to you and your family, Str3tch, for staying strong and building a new future.

This video / article have some information I hadn't seen before:

Father speaks out after missing Tempe mom, children found in West Virginia | 12news.com

Police said she ended up checking into a shelter in Huntsville, Alabama., and employees ran a routine background check on her and called authorities.

Sterkenberg said while he doesn't know Harshbarger's motive for taking the boys, the fight over custody has been ongoing.

"I went through a custody battle with her with Garrett about 12 years ago when he was around one, and she did everything she could to keep me away from him," he said.

Now, both fathers are heading to West Virginia to claim their kids. Sterkenberg is thankful everyone is okay and is hoping for the best in the future.

IMO So happy that the boys were found safe.

The thought that this Mom did all this to protect the kids is outrageous. I'm really not familiar with the family court system except through these forums. Just reading what Str3tch and the other father went through and the amount of money spent because of this mom's allegations. So apparently the courts don't see the bs coming from her and her lawyers. Where is the proof to keep the boys away from their fathers?

The parent alienation she has caused is beyond imagination. Now Str3tch is going to meet his son basically for the 1st time and try to undo the damage this mom has done to his son.

Prayers for both the fathers and their boys

I’m home now, with all 5 of my children asleep under the same roof. Over the past week or so I’ve felt every emotion it’s possible for a human to feel, often all at once. This thread has been a genuinely good resource for me as I navigated this life changing event. There was hope, encouragement and information at a time when nobody seemed to have any answers for me. I thank you all for that, kind internet strangers, I truly thank you.
Know that these boys are in loving environments. Know that both Shawn and I and our families will provide a safe landing pad for them as they come down from this crazy adventure. Miles has gone back to Arizona, and Garrett has joined me and my tribe of barbarians in Ohio. I have given my contact information to Amy’s family and told them they are welcome to see Garrett whenever they like. Her family is just as concerned for her well being as we are for our sons. We must not forget that. I don’t plan to try and withhold Garrett from his mother, whenever I can arrange contact I will do so. Cautiously of course.
As to seeing my teenage son after 10 years, it went as to be expected. A little awkward at first, but we hit our stride when we found common ground with video games. He remembered me from our supervised visits, specifically the time I brought a cheapo RC helicopter and let him fly it. We crashed the **** out of that thing and had a blast. It stuck with him over all these years. We played some Halo together today and he called me dad. There is a part of my heart that has been missing for so long that is finally back in place.
None of this is going to be easy, but I think it’s gonna be alright. I’m setting up counseling for both of us and we will just have to take it a day at a time. I haven’t really asked Garrett about his road trip, or anything about this situation. I told him we can talk when he’s ready. It feels to me like the gravity of the situation hasn’t hit him yet, it will, and we will work through it. There is a lot for me to figure out legally and otherwise, but for now I’m finally getting to know my son, and no power in the verse can stop that.

- Justin

Best wishes to you and your family. Your post shows such grace and wisdom and love, and you sound like a wonderful dad. I hope you can heal and continue to thrive. Sending much love to you all!

As to seeing my teenage son after 10 years, it went as to be expected. A little awkward at first, but we hit our stride when we found common ground with video games. He remembered me from our supervised visits, specifically the time I brought a cheapo RC helicopter and let him fly it. We crashed the **** out of that thing and had a blast. It stuck with him over all these years. We played some Halo together today and he called me dad. There is a part of my heart that has been missing for so long that is finally back in place.

- Justin
You are a good man. Best of luck.

- Justin
I'm so glad to read your update - thank you for following up with us sleuthers. Wishing you and your families the best - what a difficult time this must have been for all involved.

- Justin
After reading your post I have no doubt you and your son will be okay. More than okay in fact. There may be some bumps down the road but nothing that can’t be overcome by the love you have for him. My best to both of you and the rest of your family.

Str3tch,
You are a great man - raising lucky children.
You found a resource here. For that we are humbled.
Know that we are the angels on your shoulder as you go about reconnecting with your son and embracing him in your tribe.
You rock. Don't ever forget it.

- Justin

Thank you so much Justin for giving us such great news that you have been reunited with your son. Prayers are answered ... all the very best to you and your family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back