Found Deceased AZ - David Batten, 45, & Elissa Landry, 28, Chino Valley, 19 Apr 2020 *POI*

Surprised this thread isn't more active!
Why would he take the dogs with him to Iowa instead of freeing them in AZ? I had thought he drove the Subaru to Iowa and that their bodies could be found anywhere along the route of the road trip, but realizing the dogs would be in the car for the whole ride as well, its more likely that he hid their bodies in AZ? they found both of their cell phones in AZ so its possible he "did the rounds" to get rid of evidence and their bodies. making me think this was not premeditated but rather something that occurred in the heat of the moment and he took off without much thought. moo

I also have a feeling that he let the dogs out at the park they were found at and then he drove the Subaru to a further location in Waterloo. (I don't think the car will be parked by the park the dogs were rescued from) again moo

Last edited:
$10K reward offered to help find potential Chino Valley homicide victims David Batten, Elissa Landry

“We’re working very closely with the Chino Valley Police Department to locate to individuals, David Batten, and Elissa Landry. Law enforcement believes they are both victims of a homicide,” Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher said in a video released by Yavapai Silent Witness. “We also believe that these two victims were placed somewhere in the rural Yavapai County in the greater Chino Valley area. Please help us locate these victims.”

Many people driving between Ashfork and Paulden saw LE out off of Hwy 89 and Drake Road a few days after the 3 were "missing". (We have a Facebook group for the Paulden community)

If any of you have Google Maps, it'll show you the area where LE believes the bodies may be.....it's pretty expansive, we used to go out there to get sandstone from the quarries out there. After the cement factory, there are miles of nothing until you get to an old ranch with an airstrip. Further east are the quarries. There are random watering holes for open range cattle, washes, cliffs, ridges, and coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, and bears.

I have a feeling that unless a 4 wheeler or dirt biker stumbles upon them, the monsoon will bring them up if they're in a wash. If that doesn't happen, hunters might find them when hunting season starts, or one of the ranchers running stock will.

I'm assuming LE was searching east of Hwy 89. If you google map it, put in "Drake, Arizona". The cement plant is south of that on Drake Road. If only the phones were dumped in that area, then it's really a crap shoot. There's many, many dirt and forest roads between Chino Valley and Drake that come off of Hwy 89, and if the bodies were disposed of between Chino and Ashfork, it basically doubles the possibilities.

I'll keep my ears to the ground and see if there's any chatter. BTW: I live in Paulden.

In a Facebook post, the group shared photos of David Batten and Elissa Landry. The two are connected to Mitchell Minks, who was arrested in Waterloo on April 28th for violating probation.

A $10,000 reward is being offered by the family of Batten and Landry for information about their whereabouts. Police believe they are likely victims of homicide and their bodies are in Yavapai County, AZ.

If you have any information please contact Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers or Yavapai Silent Witness at 1-800-932-3232.
$10K reward for information regarding possible double murder connected to Waterloo arrest
upload_2020-5-13_2-47-52.jpeg

Yavapai Silent Witness is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone with information about the location of two missing Chino Valley residents, said Lieutenant Randy Chapman with the Chino Valley Police Department.

David Batten, 45, and Elissa Landry, 28, went missing from Chino Drive in Chino Valley on April 19. Batten is Landry's stepfather, police said.

On April 28, the case went from a missing-persons case to a homicide investigation after police arrested Landry's boyfriend, 24-year-old Mitchell Mincks, who was originally missing with Landry and Batten, on an unrelated warrant in Iowa, according to police.

Chino Valley Police Department investigators traveled to Iowa for the investigation and said Mincks has refused to cooperate and that several of Landry's animals were found in Iowa and are now in an animal shelter.

In an effort to further the search, police have provided a video encouraging the public to give any information to police about the victims.

Police found evidence at Batten's residence that showed that Batten and/or Landry are dead, police said.

According to the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office, their bodies have likely been placed "somewhere in the rural Yavapai County" within the greater Chino Valley area.
Officials think two missing Chino Valley residents are likely dead, left in the area

Wow. I don't think I've seen a reward offered before when they believe the missing to be a victim of homicide. Usually rewards are worded such that they only pay if the information helps find the person safe. These families really want to give their loved ones a proper burial. <3

Wow. I don't think I've seen a reward offered before when they believe the missing to be a victim of homicide. Usually rewards are worded such that they only pay if the information helps find the person safe. These families really want to give their loved ones a proper burial. <3
I agree - At least with his multiple prior arrests he's likely not out on bond. One of the first things I taught my daughter when she started dating was to run a court records search on a potential suitor. My husband (not her father, he is deceased) said I was being paranoid - but I have to tell you, you don't know know how many cases I worked as LEO over the years where the boyfriend/husband had multiple prior arrests for domestic abuse, assault and various felonies and their partner had no clue.

Sad that this isn't being put on the national media. Scoured various FB groups and it seems that LE isn't giving anything more than what we've seen.
There are very few gas stations between Chino and Ashfork. I posted on the Yavapai Sheriff's page if they had checked the security cameras. If the POI had gone offroad to hide the victims, he would have probably needed to refill his tank before he continued on I-40 to Iowa.

Did some research:
2013 Subaru Forester 19-27 mpg avg. (city/hwy)
35 miles between Chino Valley and Ashfork
16.9 gal fuel capacity
If the POI had a full tank in Chino, he could go approx. 338 +/- miles, minus the 35 to Ashfork, he has a little less than 300 to go offroad and/or delay getting gas until Flagstaff or further.
A bit discouraging.

What is really sad... I live in Phoenix. I think I heard of this case one time. Now, granted, I do not watch the news every single day, but I am not completely in the dark either. Or am I? :(
I think I've seen it mentioned twice online from Phx based news, ie Az Family, etc. It's been mentioned at least every 2-3 days up here in the Prescott Courier and Chino Valley Review.
There is a lack of info coming from the CVPD and YCSO. There haven't been any searches by S & R groups. The area LE mentions as a possible dumping site is vast, with State Land Trust, open range, ranches, and National Forst checkerboarded throughout. There hasn't been the usual outdoor type recreation up here because of Covid so many of the places people would frequent (rivers, hiking, fishing, camping, shooting, 4x4 and trail riding) are not being accessed.
I've been asking around and I've yet to find anyone who actually knows the victims, which is kind of strange. Most of us have 2 degrees of separation from everyone in the Chino/Paulden area. Peeps in Paulden have to go to Chino for groceries/school/veterinarians/ hardware, just about everything so we're pretty connected. I've asked my veteran friends, nada. Wish the person who was going to get verified would come online.....31 years up here and I've got nothing.
I used to run into Sheriff Mascher when he was a deputy, he and a few others were the ones who'd respond to calls in our area before 911 was set up.

Family members of David Batten and Elissa Landry plea for the public's help in locating their loved ones. David and Elissa are presumed the victims of homicide and have been missing since April 19, 2020. It is likely their bodies have been placed in the greater Chino Valley area. A suspect in the case is in-custody in Iowa on unrelated charges. This family is seeking closure and justice and is very thankful for all the community support.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back