Found Deceased AZ - Gabor Berczi-Tomcsanyi, 45, Hungarian visitor, Grand Canyon, Car found, 19 Jul 2021

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Authorities are asking the public to come forward with any information about a missing Hungarian man whose vehicle was found at Grand Canyon National Park.
upload_2021-8-19_16-18-2.jpeg
The family of 45-year-old Gabor Berczi-Tomcsanyi reported him missing to Las Vegas police. Authorities determined he recently traveled to the Grand Canyon as part of a larger trip to the U.S. Southwest. Rangers located his vehicle at a visitor center on Aug. 9 with his belongings inside. A park spokesperson says ground and aerial searches have turned up no sign of him so far. Investigators say they believe the now-missing man arrived at the Grand Canyon's South Rim on July 19.
Search Focused On Grand Canyon National Park For Missing Hungarian Tourist

Investigators believe Berczi-Tomcsanyi arrived at the Grand Canyon’s South Rim on July 19. He did not have a backcountry permit or lodging reservations at the park, Baird said. It’s not uncommon for vehicles to be parked in any of the lots for weeks at a time, she said.

Officials are urging anyone who saw him or interacted with him recently to contact investigators at the Grand Canyon. He was believed to be traveling alone.

Missing Person Search Initiated at South Rim of Grand Canyon-August 2021 - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Hungarian Man Missing at Grand Canyon
He is described as a white male, 6’00″ in height, 176 pounds, with brown eyes and brown hair.

Grand Canyon rangers are asking anyone who may have seen or interacted with Berczi-Tomcsanyi to please call or text the NPS Investigative Services Branch (ISB) Tip Line at 888-653-0009; or online at www.nps.gov/ISB by clicking “Submit a Tip” or by email at nps_isb@nps.gov. A missing person investigation is on-going, no further information is available at this time.

Rest in peace, Gabor.

Man found dead at the rim of the Grand Canyon | 12news.com
SBM
After multiple days of searching, the National Park Service reported finding Berczi-Tomcsanyi's body about 430 below the canyon's rim. The Coconino County Medical Examiner's Office and park rangers will spend the next few days investigating how Berczi-Tomcsanyi's died.

Search at Grand Canyon turns up remains of another person

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Crews searching for a missing man at Grand Canyon National Park made an unexpected discovery this summer.

They found the remains of another person, believed to be Scott Walsh, who was last seen stepping off a shuttle bus at the park's South Rim in 2015. The clothing had blended in with the surroundings, and the body was positioned in a way that made it almost undetectable, said park spokeswoman Joelle Baird.

Crews had been looking for Gabor Berczi-Tomscanyi, a Hungarian national who lived in Hong Kong. He was reported missing to police in Las Vegas in late July while traveling in the U.S. Southwest. The car he was driving was located in a Grand Canyon parking lot in mid-August and his body was found a few days later — about 430 feet (131 meters) below the canyon's rim at Yavapai Point.

Search at Grand Canyon turns up remains of another person

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Crews searching for a missing man at Grand Canyon National Park made an unexpected discovery this summer.

They found the remains of another person, believed to be Scott Walsh, who was last seen stepping off a shuttle bus at the park's South Rim in 2015. The clothing had blended in with the surroundings, and the body was positioned in a way that made it almost undetectable, said park spokeswoman Joelle Baird.

Crews had been looking for Gabor Berczi-Tomscanyi, a Hungarian national who lived in Hong Kong. He was reported missing to police in Las Vegas in late July while traveling in the U.S. Southwest. The car he was driving was located in a Grand Canyon parking lot in mid-August and his body was found a few days later — about 430 feet (131 meters) below the canyon's rim at Yavapai Point.
That was an interesting story with all the historical information.

I wonder if both Gabor & Walsh's falls were accidental? This past weekend, Hubs and I went to Kings Canyon. When I stand on the edge of a cliff looking down, it sort of draws me in, if that makes sense?

Were both of them hiking?

When I'm looking down from a height, I get the feeling that something wants to pull me down. Maybe what I'm feeling is the pull of gravity ?
It's like a magnet trying to attract me.

I try not to stand too close to the edge of anything :eek:

Re the other body. Reading between the lines I'm thinking that he didn't go there for a hike but I could be wrong.

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/search-at-grand-canyon-turns-up-remains-of-another-person

They found the remains of another person who authorities believe was last seen at the park in 2015. The medical examiner's office is working to confirm the identity. Park officials tentatively have identified the person as 56-year-old Scott Walsh. Park spokeswoman Joelle Baird says Walsh had been living in Ecuador but had a driver's license out of Brooklyn, New York.

Park rangers recently linked prescriptions found in a day pack belonging to Walsh with identification in a jacket found with his remains.

That was an interesting story with all the historical information.

I wonder if both Gabor & Walsh's falls were accidental? This past weekend, Hubs and I went to Kings Canyon. When I stand on the edge of a cliff looking down, it sort of draws me in, if that makes sense?

Were both of them hiking?
When I'm looking down from a height, I get the feeling that something wants to pull me down. Maybe what I'm feeling is the pull of gravity ?
It's like a magnet trying to attract me.

I try not to stand too close to the edge of anything :eek:
L'appel du vide - the lure of the void

An urge to jump affirms the urge to live: An empirical examination of the high place phenomenon - ScienceDirect

That having been said, I think most people who end up in the literal grand canyon do it on purpose. There are lots of other high places out there that don't require traveling across the country or around the world.

Maybe the place had a personal meaning.
Or maybe it was thought to be like making one final "grand" gesture at a place that was not just another high place like some of the others

There are lots of other high places out there that don't require traveling across the country or around the world.

Wow thanks for that!
I didn't know there was a name for it, or that it even existed as a feeling that other people got.
Yes I want to live that's why that feeling always creeped me out.

Off to have a good read of the link :)
Yes I think everyone could benefit from realizing that the feeling isn't suicidal ideation, it's anxiety. The full text is free here -

An urge to jump affirms the urge to live: An empirical examination of the high place phenomenon

I don't know why academics try to keep regular people from reviewing their research. As if anything that was ever published electronically isn't available somewhere for free.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back