MISTRIAL AZ - Isabel Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012, found deceased in 2017* *Arrest* #27

That could very well be. The thing I find interesting though is that there isn't even anything in the news about it. Days before the trial for Maribel there was all kinds of news stories. If I remember correctly Isabel got much more coverage. Probably, as you pointed out, because of her age. JMO
Sadly, the story of Isa missing was more profitable for MSM to follow and report when they could allege the parents responsible. JMO

That is a good explanation of why you all can not get into the court site - but you were able to get in earlier in this case. I do not know why they would close it down now...

I again tried googling the case - but of course only coming up with quite old articles.

Last edited:
Christopher Clements expected back in court Wednesday morning
Finally, a current article. Though it doesn't say much. @Niner The site has changed somewhat. I'm not getting that same error message. It downloads a document. But it's empty.

Superior Court Public Recordings not sure it the audio will be live streamed. It was for Maribel. It will be in courtroom 675.

Wednesday? Today? Okay - let me update my notes... :)

edited to add from the article:
No cameras are allowed in the courtroom Wednesday, but our team will be inside and will provide updates on the hearing.

Wednesday, February 8th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 9am PT) – AZ – Isabel Mercedes Celis (6) (April 21, 2012, Tucson, found Mar. 3, 2017, Id’ed Mar. 31, 2017) – *Christopher Matthew Clements (30 @ time of 1st crime/36/now 41) aka Damion James Johnson indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15 & 14 counts of sexual exploitation of minors. Plead not guilty. $2M cash only bond. DA will not seek DP.
Murder trial for Isabel set to begin on with jury selection on 2/9/23 (2 days) & trial starts on Monday, 2/13/23 thru 3/3/23.
Court hearings from 8/23/19 to 10/18/22 reference post #493 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tucson-20-april-2012-arrest-27.464075/page-25

10/21/22 Update: No info on review hearing. Motions (review) hearing regarding change of venue on 11/14/22 @ 11am. Trial set to begin with jury selection on 2/2/23. 1/31/23 Update: Jury selection has been reset on 2/9/23 for 2 days & set for a total of 18 days & trial starts thereafter.
2/8/23 Update: Motions hearing has been set on 2/8/23 @ 9am. The hearing will deal with motions before his trial this week.
Maribel Victoria Gonzales (13) (June 4, 2014, Tucson, found June 6, 2014, id’ed June 20, 2014) indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15 & 14 counts of sexual exploitation of minors. Plead not guilty. $2M cash only bond. Trial started 9/13/22 & ended 9/30/22 with a guilty verdict. Sentenced on 11/14/22 to natural life in prison & 17 years for kidnapping.

Feb. 8, 2023
TUCSON (KVOA)- Convicted child killer, Chris Clements, was in Superior Court Wednesday for a pre-trial hearing.
The trial starts Thursday with jury selection.

In court Wednesday, prosecutors said they had received an email regarding something which happened Tuesday at the Pima County Jail, after Clements was transported from Maricopa County, where he is serving time in a burglary case.

The prosecutor and defense discussed that email. They did not share details with the court.

Clements also asked not to attend the trial. He said he needed to be in Maricopa County for his appeal and for an eye exam. But Judge James Marner, who presided over the Maribel Gonzalez murder trial, denied that motion, saying he was already in Tucson and would remain here.

Thursday, February 9th:
*Jury Selection set to begin (@ 10am PT) – AZ – Isabel Mercedes Celis (6) (April 21, 2012, Tucson, found Mar. 3, 2017, Id’ed Mar. 31, 2017) – *Christopher Matthew Clements (30 @ time of 1st crime/36/now 41) aka Damion James Johnson indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15 & 14 counts of sexual exploitation of minors. Plead not guilty. $2M cash only bond. DA will not seek DP.
Murder trial for Isabel set to begin on with jury selection on 2/9/23 (2 days) & trial starts on Monday, 2/13/23 thru 3/3/23.
Court hearings from 8/23/19 to 10/18/22 reference post #493 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tucson-20-april-2012-arrest-27.464075/page-25

10/21/22 Update: No info on review hearing. Motions (review) hearing regarding change of venue on 11/14/22 @ 11am. Trial set to begin with jury selection on 2/2/23. 1/31/23 Update: Jury selection has been reset on 2/9/23 for 2 days & set for a total of 18 days & trial starts thereafter.
2/7/23 Update: Motions hearing has been set on 2/8/23 @ 9am. The hearing will deal with motions before his trial this week. 2/8/23 Update: In court Wednesday, prosecutors said they had received an email regarding something which happened Tuesday at the Pima County Jail, after Clements was transported from Maricopa County, where he is serving time in a burglary case. The prosecutor & defense discussed that email. They did not share details with the court. Clements also asked not to attend the trial. He said he needed to be in Maricopa County for his appeal & for an eye exam. But Judge James Marner who presided over the Maribel Gonzalez murder trial, denied that motion, saying he was already in Tucson & would remain here. The judge also ruling felonies of Clements former girlfriend, Karina Rivera, cannot be introduced in court. She was allegedly with him on April 12, 2012 -- the night Isabel Celis disappeared. Jury selection starts on 2/9/23.
*Maribel Victoria Gonzales (13) (June 4, 2014, Tucson, found June 6, 2014, id’ed June 20, 2014) indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned & charged (9/24/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1 count of kidnapping a minor under 15 & 14 counts of sexual exploitation of minors. Plead not guilty. $2M cash only bond. Trial started 9/13/22 & ended 9/30/22 with a guilty verdict. Sentenced on 11/14/22 to natural life in prison & 17 years for kidnapping.

In court Wednesday, prosecutors said they had received an email regarding something which happened Tuesday at the Pima County Jail, after Clements was transported from Maricopa County, where he is serving time in a burglary case.
^^rsbm

There's something off with this guy and I think it affects public accessibility to this case. He's deadly, evil. MOO

Christopher Clements to remain in Pima County for murder trial, which starts Thursday with jury selection

From article: Clements’ attorneys argued he had to return to Maricopa County because of a medical appointment for a condition that could result in permanent eye damage, but the judge denied the request.
This may explain what happened.
JMO
Whatever it was, it did not work (to keep him away) -- he was present in court, smirking and leaning back in his chair.

From the link:

A different jury will hear Clements’ trial involving Isabel Celis' death.

Clements, a convicted sex offender with a long criminal record, was arrested in 2018 and indicted on 22 felony counts in the two girls’ deaths.

Celis vanished from her parents’ Tucson home in April 2012 while Gonzalez disappeared while walking to a friend’s house in June 2014.

Authorities said Gonzalez’s body was found days after her disappearance while Celis’ remains weren’t recovered until 2017 after Clements led federal agents to the location.

While I recall that jurors are not identified or recorded/filmed during juror selection / voir dire, I don't recall where media was not allowed in the courtroom to observe until the jurors were seated. o_O

From Tuscson News 4 -- more secrecy for this defendant:

The media was not allowed in Judge James Mariner's courtroom during the jury selection process and won't be allowed when testimony begins on Tuesday.

I dunno -- feels like a media blackout -- can't find anything about this old murder dated this week. Nothing on Twitter. o_O
Tagging News 13 Mary Coleman below.

The jury was selected on Thursday, Feb. 9, and opening statements are scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 14.

13 News’ Mary Coleman will cover the trial and we will be updating our website throughout the day.

Contact Mary​

Email: mary.coleman@kold.com

Facebook: Mary Coleman

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marycolemannews/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mary_reports

While I recall that jurors are not identified or recorded/filmed during juror selection / voir dire, I don't recall where media was not allowed in the courtroom to observe until the jurors were seated. o_O

From Tuscson News 4 -- more secrecy for this defendant:

The media was not allowed in Judge James Mariner's courtroom during the jury selection process and won't be allowed when testimony begins on Tuesday.

So.... a trial by twitter....

The trial starts tomorrow. Jury was picked on 2/9/23 - as far as I can tell from the articles that were posted.
Party Name​
Room #Start TimeDate
Case #​
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER​
67504:00 PM2/13/2023
CR20183978​
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER​
CR20183978​
I went straight to the Public Recordings site. I wonder if someone forgot to cancel something?

Party Name​
Room #Start TimeDate
Case #​
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER​
CR20183978​
CLEMENTS, CHRISTOPHER​
CR20183978​

I went straight to the Public Recordings site. I wonder if someone forgot to cancel something?

Wonder what this might be - a motions hearing before trial maybe? Thanks!
I shall just add this to my notes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee
Back