Identified! AZ - Kingman, Mohave Co, WhtFem 35-40, UP85987, Found on private ranch in a canvas sack with rope, Jan'71 - Colleen Audrey Rice

BrownBear

Reaction score
50 years later, case still unsolved after woman's body found in a bag near Kingman

KINGMAN, Ariz. - The Mohave County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help to solve a cold case after a woman's body was found in a canvas bag east of Kingman 50 years ago.

On January 23, 1971, an unidentified woman was found in a desert area next to a dirt road two miles east of Highway 93 on Hackberry Road.

She was inside of a white canvas sack with the words "Deer-Pak Ames Harris Neville Co." printed in green. It was tied with a white cotton rope, officials say.

The woman, who remains unidentified to this day, was estimated to be 40 years old. She was 5'4" and weighed 125 to 140 pounds with curly brown hair.

245359502_172509951737270_4390375175951126327_n.jpg

Sketch of Jane Doe

She was found wearing a size 14 multicolored long-sleeve blouse with a black cardigan sweater, boots, and size 12 orange pants with a label that said "Symphony, it's what's happening" inside.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Mohave County Sheriff's Office at 928-753-0753 ext. 4408 or 1-800-522-4312.

246612739_172509945070604_9048250109562301192_n.jpg

The clothes she was found wearing

rbbm.
Mohave County Sheriff's officials trying to solve 50-year-old cold case homicide
''The Mohave County Sheriff’s Office Special Investigation Unit is asking for the public’s help in identifying the victim of a 50-year-old cold case homicide.''

An artist from the Museum of Northern Arizona made a sketch of what the victim of a 1971 homicide might have looked like. The woman's body was found near Kingman.
Credit Mohave County Sheriff's Office

Officials say woman’s body was discovered Jan. 23, 1971 near a dirt road in the desert east of Kingman near U-S Highway 93.

According to the sheriff’s office, the victim was found in a canvas sack that was tied at the top with a white cotton rope with the words “Deer-Park Ames Harris Neville Co.,” printed in green.

Clothing worn by the homicide victim found near Kingman in 1971.
Credit Mohave County Sheriff's Office
''The woman was about 40 years old and 5-foot-4-inches tall, and between 125 and 140 pounds with curly brown hair. She was wearing a multi-colored long-sleeve blouse, a black cardigan sweater and burnt orange stretch pants with a label that read “Symphony. It’s what’s happening.”

Ames Harris Neville Co. made things like canvas water bags, tents, burlap bags, etc. for hunters, ranchers, and the like. I couldn't find much about them, but the water bags are a hot item on Etsy.

Presumably the "Deer-Pak" was a bag intended for hunters transporting the deer they had shot.

Alan Howell Ames

Mr. Ames was associated with the family business, Ames Harris Neville Co. of San Francisco, a producer of burlap, paper and canvas goods for more than 30 years. He rose to president in 1958 and directed a merger of the company with Boise Cascade Corp., becoming a member of the Boise Cascade board.

27 Apr 1971, Page 5 - Arizona Republic at Newspapers.com

A very interesting follow up article as reported by authorities 3 months after UID was found. This includes many more details than originally reported.

*PMI estimated at 2-4 weeks.
*Cause of death was strangulation.
*UID fingerprints provided to FBI in DC.
*Signs show UID had 3 childbirths.
*UID had brownish/black hair.
*Bone indentation on ring finger indicating long wear of wedding ring.
*Approximate cost of dentistry at that time was $2,100, including $500 micro band bridge.
*Dental records ran through a comparison of 8,000 patient files in a Phoenix lab.
*UID likes Lima beans. (Must have been identifiable as a last meal).
*Physically meticulous, including manicured nails and hair professionally styled at a beauty parlor.
*Clothes were of “high quality”.
*All missing persons reported before and after murder for the states of AZ, CA, NV and UT were followed up, none were Jane Doe.
*Authorities had a hunch that this was a husband/wife issue, possibly enraged husband.

Certainly, someone reported their daughter or sister missing at that time. Her children may have been too young then but may now be searching for information on their missing mom. Also, authorities followed up on MP from states west and north of AZ.

Thinking some more about the bag she was found in: it would be something like this, I imagine: Google Image Result for https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d2ac7a6e-06ee-48dd-b0a4-bf08990853ef_1.19400bf8d94cd10b721cf3cf2280437a.jpeg?odnHeight=612&odnWidth=612&odnBg=FFFFFF

Google Image Result for https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71NAT1doa8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As far as I can tell, nothing was made under the Ames Harris Neville Co. name after 1958 when they sold out to Boise Cascade, which would make the Deer-Pak bag around 12-15 years old when this woman was murdered. While it's possible some farm supply store or fish and game store had some lying around in a back room for the murderer to buy for the occasion, it's more likely that he used something that he found on hand, in a barn or shed for instance. Which makes me think farm or ranch, or possibly a line shack or feeding station or something like that.

I hope they checked all the surrounding ranches and such to make sure all the wives were accounted for.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Date Body Found January 23 1971​

Location Found Mohave County Arizona​

Estimated Age Range 35-40 years​

Race White​

Sex Female​

Height 5"4(64 inches), Measured​

Weight 125-140 lbs, Estimated​

Conditions of Remains Not Recognizable-Decomposing/Putrefaction​

Hair Color Brown​

Head Hair Description Dark brown hair with some gray hair​

Eye Color Unknown​

Distinctive Physical Features Long scar on her stomach​

Circumstances of Recovery Jane Doe was found on a private ranch in a canvas sack with a rope outside of Kingsman, Arizona on 1/23/1971.​

Date Body Found January 23 1971​

Location Found Mohave County Arizona​

Estimated Age Range 35-40 years​

Race White​

Sex Female​

Height 5"4(64 inches), Measured​

Weight 125-140 lbs, Estimated​

Conditions of Remains Not Recognizable-Decomposing/Putrefaction​

Hair Color Brown​

Head Hair Description Dark brown hair with some gray hair​

Eye Color Unknown​

Distinctive Physical Features Long scar on her stomach​

Circumstances of Recovery Jane Doe was found on a private ranch in a canvas sack with a rope outside of Kingsman, Arizona on 1/23/1971.​

Original
Original

Original
Original
Original

Accessories - Brown roughout leather driving gloves, stamped with "Fairfield Wild Pig-Small" - On the Body

Clothing - Orange knit stretch pants (SYMPHONY brand, Size 12) - Multi-colored orange and brown blouse (Size 14) - Black sweater - White socks - White nylon underwear, white lace time (2 1/2) wide front partly only (Vanity Fair, Size 6) - On the Body

Footwear - "Friskies" pixie type black leather boots (similar to black boots). Size 5.5 - On the Body

Marian Elizabeth Brown?

Disappeared the previous October in Delaware. A bit older than the age range at 46, and a bit heavier than the estimate, but otherwise seems to fit. Dressed similarly. May have initially left on her own; though somebody confessed to her murder, it sounds like there's a lot of doubt about his guilt.

Marian Elizabeth Brown – The Charley Project

I think the clothing sizes found on the UID would indicate she may have her heavier than the estimate of 125-140 lbs. Even with vanity sizing (women’s clothing of the same size would be larger now than in the 70’s), I don’t think someone 5’4” and 125 lbs. would wear a size 14.

I think the clothing sizes found on the UID would indicate she may have her heavier than the estimate of 125-140 lbs. Even with vanity sizing (women’s clothing of the same size would be larger now than in the 70’s), I don’t think someone 5’4” and 125 lbs. would wear a size 14.

That's my size, and I wore a 12-14 in the 70's. But weight is very hard to estimate.

Right, sizes were much different 50 years ago.

The shirt caught my eye immediately. It looks really nice, even just from the photo. I wonder if we might have any luck figuring out a brand?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back