Mary circa 1957

Date of last contact: August 1st 1957

Date of birth: 1936

Race: Native American

Hair color: Black

Eye color: Brown

Height: unknown

Weight: unknown

Circumstances: Mary was last seen getting into a car with three Hopi men. She has not been seen since.

Identifiers:

Dentals: unknown

Fingerprints: unknown

DNA: unknown

I just found this case while scrolling through Charley. I submitted her case to namus with the info provided. There are some news articles on her disappearance but not much is known about her case. Her date of last contact is an estimate and her date of birth is unknown so I entered it as January 1st on namus. Can someone send more info from sources like ancestry?

The only additional information on Ancestry seems to be a school yearbook photo from Wingate High School in Fort Wingate, New Mexico from 1953. The name matches and the photo is clearly her. I would attach it but the format is refusing to download. I think it may be the original of the photo above.

The only additional information on Ancestry seems to be a school yearbook photo from Wingate High School in Fort Wingate, New Mexico from 1953. The name matches and the photo is clearly her. I would attach it but the format is refusing to download. I think it may be the original of the photo above.
Yes. This woman was once considered for the Grand Canyon Jane doe found in 1958 but her dental records did not match the deceased.

pasted from this article: Cold Case Close-up -- Missing person file: Mary Margaret Begay (1957)

Mary Margaret Begay was 20 years old when she left her home in Leupp to go work at Grand Canyon National Park.

The year was 1957. Begay worked at the Bright Angel Lodge.

One day in August, she and three friends walked from their employee housing dorm to the Grand Canyon Inn to do some drinking. According to one of the friends, Begay got into a vehicle with two unknown Hopi men.

“She was never heard from again,” said Joe Sumner, volunteer investigator for the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office cold case unit.

The cold case unit is currently trying to solve more than 40 missing persons and cold cases in the county like Begay’s. Sumner, who retired from the National Park Service in 2007 as a criminal investigator, came onto the cold case unit in 2008.

“It’s a classic case of ‘fall between the cracks,’” Sumner said.

The company Begay worked for at the Canyon fired her when she did not show back up for work and boxed up all of her personal belongings. Her family came for a visit and discovered she was gone. They reported Begay missing to Navajo authorities.

But it wasn’t until the discovery in October 1958 of a skeleton near Grand Canyon that Begay’s missing person case became known to then-Sheriff Cecil Richardson. It was believed at the time that the bones may belong to Begay because clothing found near the bones were “consistent” with the clothing — white sweater and pedal-pusher pants — Begay was last seen wearing, said Lt. Tim Cornelius of the sheriff’s office.

The bones, it turned out, belonged to a much younger female who was not of Native American descent. That case, too, is cold, and is known as Little Miss X.

By 1959, Richardson was looking elsewhere for Begay. He had authorities in Los Angeles interview one of the women Begay had been friends with at the Grand Canyon job. The woman told authorities that she believed Begay had fled her life and was living in Los Angeles, too, and did not want her family to know her whereabouts. Another acquaintance heard that Begay had married, had a child and was living in Oregon.

Neither of those angles have panned out, Sumner said. And as to the idea that she left her family and moved to Los Angeles or Oregon to start a new life, Sumner said he was doubtful.

Begay had been in constant touch with her family, and she was not estranged from them.

“There is no evidence she’s still alive,” Sumner said.

Meanwhile, more than 50 years later, many of Begay’s family members have gone to their graves not knowing what happened to her. If Begay were still alive, she would be 74 years old. The Grand Canyon Inn no longer exists; it was torn down in the 1960s.

Sumner said that DNA samples have been taken from Begay’s surviving sister. The idea was to test the sample against the hair follicles from Little Miss X to definitively rule her out as being Begay. The hair follicles did not provide a DNA profile when tested, so no comparison could be made.

The bones, after being exhumed in 1962, were reburied, but there is no record of where, other than at Citizens Cemetery. The search continues to find the remains of Little Miss X.

Regardless, Sumner said there is possible DNA evidence that still remains on a necklace found with the bones that is currently undergoing processing for a profile.

The samples taken from Begay’s family will be entered into a national DNA database for possible future comparisons.

Cornelius said Begay’s family still calls at regular intervals for an update on the case. They live relatively traditional lives in the Tolani Lake area of the Navajo Nation.

“Hopefully, we can solved this and find out where she is,” Cornelius said. “It sure would be nice to give the family closure on that.”

upload_2018-11-28_17-32-48.png
Here is the image

I need to see her DNA profile so that i can enter it into namus.

This is an interesting case and as usual there is not a lot of information out there. One thing that always bothered me was the statement that she was last seen with two Hopi men. How did this person know they were Hopi? Were these men known to this person? Was it a guess?

BTW Bright Angel Lodge was operating as late as 1972.

If only -- she had been reported missing immediately!!!

My grandfather worked for the Park Service. I really hate these cases tied to parks!

RIP, Ms. Begay, peace & comfort to your family.

BTW Bright Angel Lodge was operating as late as 1972.

If only -- she had been reported missing immediately!!!

My grandfather worked for the Park Service. I really hate these cases tied to parks!

RIP, Ms. Begay, peace & comfort to your family.

Bright Angel Lodge is still open. I still want to know what other information is out here.

I just found Ida’s thread a few weeks ago and today came across Mary’s (despite the bright blue links you posted on each of their threads :rolleyes: lol). I actually thought they were the same person initially, I remembered the discussion about the bright sticky tab on Idas’s photo. o_O Hard not to think there might be a connection between the two. Nevertheless, I may poke around and see if I can find anything else...

:eek: I see the resemblance to Kern County Jane Doe even more now! I’m guessing Mary and Ida have been ruled out as KCJD and VCJD? I see no exclusions listed on NamUs...

Not sure what you mean?

Ganado Hospital. where Mrs. Begay trained as a nurse, was a Presbyterian mission at the time.
Well comparing the photos of the two, I think they look a lot alike. They’re from the same area and after reading about Kern County Jane Doe, I noticed the names... Probably just a coincidence but I just happened to come across it

59UFCA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back