AZ AZ - Michelle “Elle” Bernstein-Schultz, 36, mom of 2, left phone & ID behind, Phoenix, 29 Jun 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
A Phoenix woman went missing on Wednesday, according to police.

Michelle “Elle” Rose Bernstein-Schultz, 36, described as 5 feet 6 inches with short black hair and wearing a black mask and gray sandals with florescent green accents, was last seen near 40th Street and Greenway Road.

Her family is worried and is asking the public for help finding her.

Anyone with information can get in touch with the Phoenix Police Department's Missing and Unidentified Persons Unit at 602-534-2121 and 602-262-6141 after hours.

b6154621-2682-4252-9dd3-15f4ede953cb-michelle_3.jpg

Video from today (7/12).

Concerning comment at the bottom of this article:

The Yahoo News article linked would not let me view comments or anything further on the article about her unless I changed my privacy settings and I'd rather not do that. Thanks though!

JUL 29, 2022
[...]

Her mother, PY says she received a text message from Michelle’s boyfriend. The two lived together at the Tides at Paradise Valley near 40th Street and Greenway Road.

"I was in absolute shock. I asked him to call me and at that moment he didn’t. I waited a few minutes, asked him again, so I called the police to confirm that there was a report and there was," said Patricia.

... DS [sister] says she pinpointed the time Michelle last spoke to anyone over the phone, referencing a text exchange that afternoon.

"It was an ongoing conversation, back and forth, back and forth and then the last message from her was at 4:03 p.m."

After 4:03 p.m, Michelle is believed to have walked out of her second floor apartment, leaving behind her personal items.

[...]

Michelle's phone, wallet, ID, and car – all left at home.

[...]

FOX 10 asked if any surveillance footage of Michelle has surfaced since last month. Her family says they’ve seen no such leads.

[...]

... And the day before she went missing, the 36-year-old learned some good news from her personal injury lawyer.

"We told Michelle on June 28 that her check would be ready on July 1, and unfortunately it's still at our office," said NA, partner and attorney at Phillips Law Firm.

A $2,500 settlement waiting for her after being rear-ended in a car accident.

[...]

"If she was planning on doing this she would have needed that money and I just can’t imagine that if she would have done this on purpose that she wouldn't have waited a couple days to have that money," said DS.

[...]

She's also a mother of two boys.

[...]

This is from three years ago but may shed some light on what has happened to her.
From what I have read so far, her children are not missing. She was alone as far as we know when she went missing. All I could find in the way of court records is a lawsuit by a creditor shortly before the "hike across Arizona"

Maricopa County Justice Courts | Other | CC2019-065938 | 2019-04-02​

Shortly thereafter there was a lawsuit by a man with the same last name against her in the family court. (same record system as above but the docket is not viewable by the public).

Not uncommon, either event in the case of many divorces so I'm not seeing any red flags there.

Nothing since then, not a traffic ticket or any record in the last two years. I hope she is found, such a beautiful lady and I have to imagine her family is so worried.

AUG 2, 2022
1659490875889.png

[...]

DS said Michelle takes full advantage of Arizona living. “Michelle’s an avid hiker,” DS said. “She takes her hiking very seriously.”

DS told Dateline that Michelle has been divorced twice and has one son from each marriage. “One is 15 and one is 10,” DS said. Both children live with their fathers.

Michelle moved in with her boyfriend in Phoenix in October 2021. The two have been dating for about a year and a half.

DS told Dateline that sometime during the week of June 20, their mother, PY, spoke to Michelle on the phone.

“There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” PY told Dateline. “She wasn’t feeling well, and I was asking her how she was feeling that day.”

That was the last time anyone in her family heard Michelle’s voice. It was about a week before she disappeared.

DS did say that a friend of Michelle’s had been texting with her on June 29. “All day long back and forth,” DS told Dateline. “The last message that he received from her was at 4:03 p.m.,” DS said, adding that “no one heard from her after that.”

[...]

Patricia said that later that afternoon, around 4 p.m., she called Michelle’s boyfriend again.

This time he picked up. “I asked him if they had a fight. He said they did not,” PY told Dateline. She added that Michelle’s boyfriend told her that he had spoken with Michelle on June 29, and she told him “she was not feeling well” and “didn’t want to be bothered.” PY said he told her that when he got home later that night, “he went straight to sleep on the living room couch.”

“In the morning he realized when he went to the bedroom that she had not slept in there,” PY said of their conversation. “He noticed that she had left her keys, her phone, her credit card, some cash, and her driver’s license.” Michelle’s car was also still in the parking lot of their apartment complex.

[...]

Dateline tried to locate Michelle’s boyfriend to see if he could provide any additional details, but was unsuccessful.

[...]

... According to Daniella, Michelle took her dog, Ava, everywhere. But Ava was left behind in the apartment along with the rest of Michelle’s belongings.

[...]

JUL 29, 2022
[...]

Her mother, PY says she received a text message from Michelle’s boyfriend. The two lived together at the Tides at Paradise Valley near 40th Street and Greenway Road.

"I was in absolute shock. I asked him to call me and at that moment he didn’t. I waited a few minutes, asked him again, so I called the police to confirm that there was a report and there was," said Patricia.

... DS [sister] says she pinpointed the time Michelle last spoke to anyone over the phone, referencing a text exchange that afternoon.

"It was an ongoing conversation, back and forth, back and forth and then the last message from her was at 4:03 p.m."

After 4:03 p.m, Michelle is believed to have walked out of her second floor apartment, leaving behind her personal items.

[...]

Michelle's phone, wallet, ID, and car – all left at home.

[...]

FOX 10 asked if any surveillance footage of Michelle has surfaced since last month. Her family says they’ve seen no such leads.

[...]

... And the day before she went missing, the 36-year-old learned some good news from her personal injury lawyer.

"We told Michelle on June 28 that her check would be ready on July 1, and unfortunately it's still at our office," said NA, partner and attorney at Phillips Law Firm.

A $2,500 settlement waiting for her after being rear-ended in a car accident.

[...]

"If she was planning on doing this she would have needed that money and I just can’t imagine that if she would have done this on purpose that she wouldn't have waited a couple days to have that money," said DS.

[...]

She's also a mother of two boys.

[...]
bolding mine

Did the boyfriend call in a missing person's report ?
Did he check with her family and friends first to see if she was with them ?

I'm assuming by now that LE have checked out her boyfriend and most likely cleared him.
It's just odd that she didn't appear to have taken money or her dog with her.

Last edited:
AUG 2, 2022
View attachment 357505

[...]

DS said Michelle takes full advantage of Arizona living. “Michelle’s an avid hiker,” DS said. “She takes her hiking very seriously.”

DS told Dateline that Michelle has been divorced twice and has one son from each marriage. “One is 15 and one is 10,” DS said. Both children live with their fathers.

Michelle moved in with her boyfriend in Phoenix in October 2021. The two have been dating for about a year and a half.

DS told Dateline that sometime during the week of June 20, their mother, PY, spoke to Michelle on the phone.

“There wasn’t anything out of the ordinary,” PY told Dateline. “She wasn’t feeling well, and I was asking her how she was feeling that day.”

That was the last time anyone in her family heard Michelle’s voice. It was about a week before she disappeared.

DS did say that a friend of Michelle’s had been texting with her on June 29. “All day long back and forth,” DS told Dateline. “The last message that he received from her was at 4:03 p.m.,” DS said, adding that “no one heard from her after that.”

[...]

Patricia said that later that afternoon, around 4 p.m., she called Michelle’s boyfriend again.

This time he picked up. “I asked him if they had a fight. He said they did not,” PY told Dateline. She added that Michelle’s boyfriend told her that he had spoken with Michelle on June 29, and she told him “she was not feeling well” and “didn’t want to be bothered.” PY said he told her that when he got home later that night, “he went straight to sleep on the living room couch.”

“In the morning he realized when he went to the bedroom that she had not slept in there,” PY said of their conversation. “He noticed that she had left her keys, her phone, her credit card, some cash, and her driver’s license.” Michelle’s car was also still in the parking lot of their apartment complex.

[...]

Dateline tried to locate Michelle’s boyfriend to see if he could provide any additional details, but was unsuccessful.

[...]

... According to Daniella, Michelle took her dog, Ava, everywhere. But Ava was left behind in the apartment along with the rest of Michelle’s belongings.

[...]
bolding mine

Sorry, tried to multi-quote and it only posted once so had to start a new post.

Anyway, re. the bolded : Were they having a fight ?
Why was he on the couch ?
Or that was just their arrangement ?
Is there any chance she walked away to cool her head for a bit and ran into trouble like the heat or a sketchy person ?

Hope for answers for her family soon !

bolding mine

Did the boyfriend call in a missing person's report ?
Did he check with her family and friends first to see if she was with them ?

I'm assuming by now that LE have checked out her boyfriend and most likely cleared him.
It's just odd that she didn't appear to have taken money or her dog with her.
It sounds as though the boyfriend was the one who filed the missing person report. I've not seen any mention of him contacting her family and friends first.

bolding mine

Sorry, tried to multi-quote and it only posted once so had to start a new post.

Anyway, re. the bolded : Were they having a fight ?
Why was he on the couch ?
Or that was just their arrangement ?
Is there any chance she walked away to cool her head for a bit and ran into trouble like the heat or a sketchy person ?

Hope for answers for her family soon !
According to what the boyfriend told Elle's mother, they did NOT have a fight. He said Elle told him “she was not feeling well” and “didn’t want to be bothered” so he slept on the couch.

Details here:

Attachments

• tattoo.JPG
    tattoo.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 16
I'm puzzled by a comment on the Yahoo story that says her arm tattoo "says it all"... Anyone know what that means? I can't really see the tattoo.

I could not find ANY photos of her tattos or any descriptions thereof. Either the comment was made by someone who knows her or, in my opinion, was just speculating.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back