Found Deceased AZ - Patrick Gladics, 38, firefighter from NV, failed to report to duty, Sierra Vista, 14 May 2022

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Missing Person

Patrick Gladics, BLM Firefighter and Helicopter Manager from Nevada, was reported missing Saturday, May 14, 2022. Patrick was staying at a hotel in Sierra Vista and working out of the Sierra Vista Municipal Airport (FHU) when he failed to report to duty the next morning.

DOB: 5/2/1984
Sex: Male
Race: White/Caucasian
Eyes: Green Hair: Short Sandy/Light
Brown Height: 6’4”
Weight: 190

Vehicle: Maybe driving a White 2016 Ford Explorer. Gov Plate I-620212

Identifying Characteristics:
• Detailed black tattoo of feathered bird wings on his back
• Star tattoo on the nape of the neck
• Sometimes wears a beard that is a darker brown

281436840_303257605329205_2514031966273214668_n.jpg

Did Patrick go hiking?

The Ford Explorer has been located at the Wal-Mart in Sierra Vista and video surveillance shows Mr. Gladics running northbound from the parking lot toward the desert at 5:00 am on 5/14/22. He was wearing dark clothing along with a dark ball cap.

This doesn't sound good.
When they say ‘running from the parking lot’, was he running like he was being chased? Was he jogging? Was he acting strangely? Did he go into the Walmart and purchase anything? This is sounding so crazy.

If anyone is looking at a map and seeing the vast desert area north/northwest of the freeway, be aware that it is pretty much ALL military space, surrounded by barbed wire fencing. I'm local if you have questions about SV.

If anyone is looking at a map and seeing the vast desert area north/northwest of the freeway, be aware that it is pretty much ALL military space, surrounded by barbed wire fencing. I'm local if you have questions about SV.
Are there good running routes near there? How safe is it?
I've been on many assignments like the one Pat was on. To me it would be normal to go for a run in the morning, perhaps buy food at Walmart, and then report to the helibase at 7 am or so. You wouldn't have time to run later and/or it would be too hot. However, there's a lot of missing information so it's all speculation.

I've been on many assignments like the one Pat was on. To me it would be normal to go for a run in the morning, perhaps buy food at Walmart, and then report to the helibase at 7 am or so. You wouldn't have time to run later and/or it would be too hot. However, there's a lot of missing information so it's all speculation.
There is a sports complex (collection of playing fields) just north of there, but I honestly don't know if it is accessible from the direction he was coming from. It might be fenced to the south. There used to be a homeless encampment by the wash behind Walmart, but I believe it has been cleaned up considerably when a local shelter was expanded a few years ago. I don't consider anywhere safe, so my opinion probably doesn't matter in that regard. I wish we had more information about his apparent state of mind that morning, to ascertain whether he was running from someone/something or just heading out to exercise.
IMO.

We need all of these firefighters right now! May Mr. Gladics be found in good health. Safety & support to all our smokejumpers & firefighters.

If you've never read it, find a copy of Young Men and Fire. Same author as A River Runs Through It:

1652790158081.png
image from wikipedia.com

Visiting family in New Mexico riht now -- haze from Calf Canyon here. First time I've ever crossed the New Mexico state line without wearing my sunglasses.

Thank you ever so much, @Glacier Lily , for your work to protect our natural areas!

jmho ymmv lrr

Glacier Lily said:

I was coming to say this exact thing, but you beat me to it. My husband goes out in this capacity currently and I used to. I could see him doing this exact thing. Scope out a possible trail on google the night before, drive to walmart an hour before they open, go for a run, come back to walmart, pickup food for the day, get in the rig and drive to work. Efficiency is key.

eta: my quote didn't work so I had to bootstrap it

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back