AZ AZ - Tempe, HispFem, UP1987, 15-19, hitchhiking, overdose, Apr'02

<modsnip>
I think this case needs a good investigative reporter to take an interest. A couple days ago I reached out to Laura Gomez with the Arizona Mirror but haven't heard back. She writes mostly about political and policy impact on the AZ immigrant communities, but I think we can convince her to research and write about this case as well as so many others. The volume of unidentified Hispanic youths found deceased in the AZ desert is staggering. Most were hopeful immigrants who didn't survive the trip, and each of them has a family somewhere that wonders what happened to them. Her email is lgomez@azmirror.com please ask her to investigate...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think of this little one often.

Reading back through the thread today, I got to wondering, where was her "stuff?" Like, she had to have had more than just the clothes she was wearing, right?

Then that got me thinking maybe the "kicked out" story may not have been true. It would be bad enough for a parent to kick out a child but to kick them out with nothing but the clothes on her back? Yet she had money to purchase concert tickets/drugs. Was she going to the concert alone? Was she doing drugs alone (before that day)? I don't think so. Somewhere, there are people who knew her. They can't have ALL been in the US illegally.

I think of this little one often.

Reading back through the thread today, I got to wondering, where was her "stuff?" Like, she had to have had more than just the clothes she was wearing, right?

Then that got me thinking maybe the "kicked out" story may not have been true. It would be bad enough for a parent to kick out a child but to kick them out with nothing but the clothes on her back? Yet she had money to purchase concert tickets/drugs. Was she going to the concert alone? Was she doing drugs alone (before that day)? I don't think so. Somewhere, there are people who knew her. They can't have ALL been in the US illegally.

I don't want to sound nasty or disrespectful but she could have gotten the tickets/drugs by selling her body or got money by selling her body. I'm totally victim friendly and I'm not judgmental, but not every victim is living the life of an angel. Compassion yes, realistic yes.

This case is why I joined Websleuths. I've been a Tempe resident since 2007. I'm what you would consider a true crime "junkie," and I can handle just about any crime, but for some reason, this is haunting to me. A young woman with her entire life in front of her discarded like trash behind a strip mall... Wow.

I just feel like the "driver" is not telling the truth at all. I'm not even sure I buy the part about there being a third person (the "dealer"). I haven't been able to find out the name of the driver or the CD owner (driver's girlfriend). I've got a request in to the Maricopa County ME's office for their reports and photos. I'm going to visit the Tempe PD this week and see if I can request their paper and their photos on the case. There is also a 911 call that came from a nearby Circle K on the evening of the incident. The caller was unintelligible and so no officers were dispatched. I'd love to get my hands on that and try to decipher it. I believe this case is still in open status, so it's likely I'll be denied most or all of it.

If I'm being honest, I don't believe one word provided to police by the driver. Everybody thinks this girl was thrown out of her house by her mother and was a cocaine addict. The only reason anyone thinks this is based on the story provided by the driver. For all we know none of it is true. I think the hitchhiking aspect is true. She probably accepted the ride. I'm just not sure if I buy the driver's provided motive. We really don't know what he was up to that day. Maybe she wasn't looking for drugs at all. Maybe he already had them and pressured her to try them. If she was a seasoned cocaine addict, it's unlikely she would have overdosed. If there were 3 people and they were all doing the cocaine together, how come she is the only one who had a bad reaction?

Something smells rotten here. A guy driving around in his girlfriend's car and picking up young girls at busy intersections? Yeah, that's not normal. At all.

I've seen the postmortem photos of her face. Can't get it out of my head. Now I'm on a mission.

Last edited:
So... An update. Still waiting to hear back from the Maricopa County MEs office to see if I will be granted access to the MEs report. I am planning to visit Tempe PD on Thursday to see what, if anything, I would be allowed to access. Even if I am allowed to view certain files under supervision then that will be a win. I meant to get there sooner, but as you all know, life gets in the way!

I am also going to visit the crime scene where Tempe Girl's body was found. Most of the articles I've read only give an approximate location, but as a Tempe resident I am pretty sure I know the strip mall they are referencing. When I visit the scene, I plan to take video and I will share that with the forum. Wish me luck!

I do not believe the man's story about this Jane, not one iota and I do not think that the LE in this case does either, but, what are they gonna do without her identity and knowing her previous lifestyle!
Here's the person I believe is her and have already contacted all units involved.... I will let you all know as soon as I hear something!
Leanne Hausberg, her case is here :http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hausberg_leanne.html and she went missing on March 18, 1999 from New York.....
Here's the side by side photos:

I agree with you 100%. I don't believe any of it, either. I just read through the portions of the police report that was posted in this thread and I think this guy was definitely up to no good. I am seriously wondering if the stains on her jeans were tested. While it's possible that her clothing could have become disheveled when he was pulling her out of the car and leaving her to die, I don't think it's probably. the jeans were secured by a side zipper and one of the photos shows that the waist was very snug. I don't think they would have come down far enough to expose her panties in the normal course of moving her out of the car.

Why was a man with a pregnant girlfriend picking up young girls from a street corner?

That's a real interesting idea...:waitasec:
But a 25-year old stopping to pick up a 17(?) year old walking down the street on a Friday evening? Not so strange.
I was just wondering where you saw his age? I can't seem to locate the post that says he was 25 at the time. Thanks.

Attachments

• gabriela_leticia_gonzalez_2.jpg.jpg
    gabriela_leticia_gonzalez_2.jpg.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 501UFAZ.jpg
    501UFAZ.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 16
Could she be Gabriela Leticia Gonzalez from San Diego? Gabriela is/was 14 years old, Hispanic, 5'1", and 125lbs. Disappeared April 5th, 2002. She's listed as endangered missing and may have been with an adult male:

Gabriela Leticia Gonzalez – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I think she looks quite similar too.

Hi @coldcaser Gabriela has the names "Gaby" and "Juan" tattooed on her back. I never read anywhere that this Jane Doe had tattoos. That's why I don't think it's her.

I've looked for this girl before without any luck. I feel if she was kicked out, her mother would not have filed a missing persons report. Maybe a sibling or other relative???

Let me just get this straight....the dude that picked her up took her to purchase drugs then got high with her. She OD'd and winds up laying in the street behind a business. Hmmmmm, did he put her there? And if he spent that much time with her, did she never mention her name? I'm not up on druggie etiquette, but I just cannot believe someone would get into a car with a stranger, tell him you've been kicked out of your home, go buy drugs, get high and never once offer - at least - her first name!

I think it would be helpful to know if she had mentioned WHEN she was kicked out. If it was just that day or within the past few days, I would bet she was from the area. JMO
I’m sober now but was a drug user at one time. I can attest to using drugs with people I never met or knew their names enough to remember. Names are moot. I have also overdosed and been left in a bathroom on two occasions and been lucky enough to have been found in time. It’s a harsh life.

I'm not up on druggie etiquette, but I just cannot believe someone would get into a car with a stranger, tell him you've been kicked out of your home, go buy drugs, get high and never once offer - at least - her first name!

Not to mention, she allegedly asked the guy if she could live with him. I certainly would want to know her name if they were going to be my roommate. The guy's story is crap. He knows more than he's saying. Also, wasn't he like 50 when this all happened?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back