Last NameYear of BirthState LKA
YulianaEscudero1900Oregon
Leanne
Hausberg1900New York
FlorindaLopez
Florida
MariaMauricio1977Arizona

BUMP

Has anyone been able to gather info on the suspected missing teen out of SC - Esmeralda Guadarma to rule her out? I know the details were limited

On April 27, 2002, the body of an unidentified female was found behind a business in the area of 1850 East University Drive in Tempe, Arizona.

The female victim is believed to be either Hispanic, Native American or biracial. She had straight black hair, approximately 12-1/2 inches in length, and was estimated to be between 15 and 19 years of age. She had a scar on the back of her left hand and a scar near the top of her left shoulder. She was found wearing a red halter top, blue jeans with a zipper on the side and round eyelets on the waistband (“Watch LA” brand), blue underwear, and black slip on dress shoes with 3” wedge heels (“Lower Eastside” brand, size 6 1/2).

It is believed the victim hitchhiked to Tempe from #Phoenix, and was likely picked up near 32nd Street and Greenway Road in Phoenix, Arizona on 04/26/2002. The decedent died of a drug overdose and reportedly told a driver who picked her up that she had been kicked out of her home due to drug use. The victim may have been a Spanish speaker.

The image featured is a facial reconstruction completed by a #NCMEC Forensic Artist and depicts what she may have looked like in life.

Have information? Call the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children @ 1-800-THE-LOST.
55937479_2540060192688539_527800057034964992_n.jpg

This case has really stuck with and the lack of evidence frustrastes me so much. Is the case even open anymore?

Guys, does anyone know if the driver could tell if she had an accent? Perhaps we can be certain if she is Latina or Native American. From my opinion she looks Latina and perhaps, from South America.

Guys, does anyone know if the driver could tell if she had an accent? Perhaps we can be certain if she is Latina or Native American. From my opinion she looks Latina and perhaps, from South America.
From what I remember reading about the driver, it was not someone who wanted to give much info on. There was some details about his girlfriend or S/O having no knowledge of his interaction with the vic and that had caused some issues for him and he clammed up. It was pretty clear he had just been giving bare minimum details on what happened but the whole case really bothers me since I worked a case years back in AZ and had a hard time with the fact that vic's family was just miles from where she was found and nobody ever filed a report on her, it was only years later that the connection was made. I went out and passed out and posted flyers from Phoenix to Tempe and thought it felt fruitless at the time, I knew it would have purpose. It did, but this is another case similar to that, where I feel like a LOT of efforts on the ground will need to be made before there is any closure on this one.

From what I remember reading about the driver, it was not someone who wanted to give much info on. There was some details about his girlfriend or S/O having no knowledge of his interaction with the vic and that had caused some issues for him and he clammed up. It was pretty clear he had just been giving bare minimum details on what happened but the whole case really bothers me since I worked a case years back in AZ and had a hard time with the fact that vic's family was just miles from where she was found and nobody ever filed a report on her, it was only years later that the connection was made. I went out and passed out and posted flyers from Phoenix to Tempe and thought it felt fruitless at the time, I knew it would have purpose. It did, but this is another case similar to that, where I feel like a LOT of efforts on the ground will need to be made before there is any closure on this one.

DDP has her case on the considered cases to work on. It’s possible that in the near future we may know who she was and why family hasn’t been looking for her.

This case is very disturbing because she is so young and it's remained unsolved for so long. The story given by the driver who picked her up may not be true: i.e. her mother kicked her out of her house. She is very likely an immigrant from Mexico or Central America. She may have been a victim of sex trafficking, brought to the U.S. by coyotes meaning there would be no school records of her in AZ or family members here. I asked the case manager whether isotope testing was done to identify where she originated from. I was told it is complicated but I was assured that authorities are doing everything possible to solve this case and they are reaching out to embassies etc. Tomorrow I'm going to reach out to a local reporter who's written about and for immigrant communities and is herself an immigrant asking her to investigate this case and write a new article for the new year.

Tempe Jane Doe and/or her family might have been from Honduras where native Mayan populations were targeted for genocide during the 1950s through 90s. Most Hondurans who fled to Mexico never got legal status even after decades living in Mexico so young people from these families were highly motivated to attempt immigration to the U.S. trusting those who prey on their desperation.

One thing that has always bothered me about this case is that a driver and drug dealer knew she overdosed yet threw her out of the car like a piece of garbage and didn't make sure she had medical help that could have saved her life. I was told that Arizona doesn't have "Good Samaritan" laws so there's no legal obligation to assist. However the drug dealer might be in trouble if she was a minor.

A significant effort needs to be made to reach the immigrant communities in AZ and to directly reach the public in countries where she might have originated. The Castro Valley Jane Doe case remained unsolved for years until law enforcement officers in charge of the case actually went to Mexico and canvased teenagers. They eventually located a family who hadn't heard from their daughter in years but assumed she was living a good life in the U.S. This family turned out to be the girl's family and they were able to solve her murder.

You have to have a Namus account and be logged in. Then there's a "Comparisons" tab that shows up.
I was logged in but don't see a comparisons tab. I'm using my smart phone so maybe it doesn't work with cell phones.

That might be the problem. I'm not familiar with how it works on cell phones.

The current exclusions are:

Maria Mauricio
Florinda Lopez
Yuliana Escudero
Leanne Hausberg
Alissa Turney
Veronica Martinez

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I at one time thought she strongly resembled Gabriela Gonzalez from CA (3129DFCA) missing since 4/5/2002 but I now know it's not a likely a match. Based on my conversation with Maricopa Medical Examiner's case manager Tempe Doe is likely a recent immigrant.

That might be the problem. I'm not familiar with how it works on cell phones.

The current exclusions are:

Maria Mauricio
Florinda Lopez
Yuliana Escudero
Leanne Hausberg
Alissa Turney
Veronica Martinez

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I at one time thought she strongly resembled Gabriela Gonzalez from CA (3129DFCA) missing since 4/5/2002 but I now know it's not a likely a match. Based on my conversation with Maricopa Medical Examiner's case manager Tempe Doe is likely a recent immigrant. Also Gabby had tattoos on her back.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Hazey
Back