Baby Dies After Swallowing Watch Battery

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by jnTexas, Jan 13, 2010.

  1. jnTexas

    jnTexas Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)

    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/22225103/detail.html

    HAMILTON, Ohio -- A 13-month-old boy is dead after his parents say he swallowed a watch battery

    Aidan's parents knew something was wrong when their son began having trouble eating, and they soon learned it was because he'd swallowed a battery the size of a dime.

    "It's not just the acid – it's the current passing through the tissues," Lonnie Truett said.

    The combination caused severe bleeding that eventually led to the boy's death.

    "I did CPR, I did my best, but he was going very quick," Michelle Truett said.

    More at the link

    My heart just breaks for this family. Who would've known a watch battery could do so much damage.
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Logger

    Logger New Member

    Messages:
    389
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hearing aids batteries can also be a danger for both children and pets.
     
  4. kbl8201

    kbl8201 Former Member

    Messages:
    6,340
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    0
    ummm so how'd he get hold of the battery?
     
  5. Gypsy Road

    Gypsy Road New Member

    Messages:
    5,659
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Very sad. Who knows how he got ahold of it, but my guess is that it must have fallen out of someone's watch without them realizing it or it was laying around and he was crawling around, found it, and put it in his mouth. I had no idea they were so dangerous to children and pets either! You have to be SO CAREFUL!
     
  6. badhorsie

    badhorsie Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...

    Messages:
    3,282
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Poor baby, my neice did the exact, same thing when she was a 7month old. Luckily she was hospitalised and survived.
    Prayers for that family...
     
  7. Elphaba

    Elphaba Defying Gravity...

    Messages:
    5,900
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    38
    There was something in the media similar to this, or on a tv show, not too long ago... I remember reading about it.
     
  8. lizzybeth

    lizzybeth Active Member

    Messages:
    4,338
    Likes Received:
    17
    Trophy Points:
    38
    I remember it too Elphaba. I think in that case it was a little girl. Kids can find and get into anything, just like pets. You think you have something put away out of reach and sometimes they can still find a way to get it.
     
  9. believe09

    believe09 Active Member

    Messages:
    28,114
    Likes Received:
    30
    Trophy Points:
    38
  10. impatientredhead

    impatientredhead New Member

    Messages:
    6,476
    Likes Received:
    12
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wow, I have never heard of them being so hazardous.
    I would have guessed it would pass right through like so many other items that get ingested during childhood.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice