Bahamas - 3 American Tourists Dead, 1 Hospitalized, Sandals Emerald Bay Resort, May 7, 2022

Herat

Way out West
Reaction score
It's 2022 and I just saw a news article that reminded me of this thread, but it's a resort in the Bahamas.

I wonder if this case could be a similar environmental cause as some cases in this old thread? I do need to go back and reread this thread.

Such a tragedy:
CNN: Deaths of 3 Americans at Sandals resort in the Bahamas are under investigation, officials say.

I immediately thought about this story of pesticide methyl bromide poisoning in St. John's Virgin Islands in 2015.

In the current fatalities, I read that the couple who died had sought medical help earlier and were sent home.

How utterly terrible.

I immediately thought about this story of pesticide methyl bromide poisoning in St. John's Virgin Islands in 2015.

In the current fatalities, I read that the couple who died had sought medical help earlier and were sent home.

How utterly terrible.

I was just thinking of the exact same incident and was trying to look it up. IIRC, it happened because the resort/owners used highly toxic pesticides not meant for indoor use.

I was just thinking of the exact same incident and was trying to look it up. IIRC, it happened because the resort/owners used highly toxic pesticides not meant for indoor use.
Yes. In the 2015 indicent, the owners of the apartment underneath the victims had used methyl bromide.

One would think a commercial resport such as Sandals would have a pesticice program that was safer and more regulated.

I get the feeling that the fatalities and the current survivor were not in close proximity.

Yes. In the 2015 indicent, the owners of the apartment underneath the victims had used methyl bromide.

One would think a commercial resport such as Sandals would have a pesticice program that was safer and more regulated.

I get the feeling that the fatalities and the current survivor were not in close proximity.
The other man who died was in a different villa.

Very sad, tragic. Who expects to pay so much for a vacation, then end up seriously ill or dead?

The other man who died was in a different villa.

Very sad, tragic. Who expects to pay so much for a vacation, then end up seriously ill or dead?

If I were staying there I would probably leave right away.

It sounds very much like pesticide poisoning and I would not want to take the risk of being in association with the same stuff.

Sandals Resorts is going to have a big problem on their hands if they don't take control of this.

Strange terminology. These are clearly not "natural" deaths. So the cause of the death and serious injury for another person is not normal at all.

I would somehow have thought The Bahamas had higher standards than Carribean countries, but I am probalby wrong

Posts above copied from:
………

Three Americans were found dead and a fourth person was hospitalized Friday at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas, officials said.

It remains unclear how they died. Royal Bahamas Police Force said it was investigating a report that a couple had complained of feeling ill and had sought treatment at a hospital.

In a statement to USA TODAY, Sandals confirmed the deaths at Sandals Emerald Bay on Great Exuma, an island known as a luxury travel destination.

…..
On Friday morning, resort staff members notified George Town Police that a man was found unresponsive in one of the villas. While officers were on their way to the resort, they were told another man and woman were found unresponsive in another villa, the Royal Bahamas Police Force said.

Officers found a man lying on the ground in the first villa, police said. He was later pronounced dead, but an examination of the body found no signs of trauma.

Police then found a man in the bathroom of another villa and a woman unresponsive on a bed. Both "showed signs of convulsion," police said, but no signs of trauma. That couple had complained of feeling ill the evening before and had returned to their villa after receiving treatment at a hospital, investigators said.

PLEASE CONTINUE HERE…..

Last edited:
I was thinking about the cases of swapping out hotel alcohol with homemade alcohol poisoning that happened in the Caribbean a few years ago.
Well this article states the deaths were not from tainted alcohol but I thought there was another case that was from resorts or employees swapping cheap homemade alcohol.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the cases of swapping out hotel alcohol with homemade alcohol poisoning that happened in the Caribbean a few years ago.

After the autopsies, it will be interesting to see if there are any commonalities.

Many seem to think it’s the pesticides used in the resorts.

ETA: this is just a guest surmising that a faulty a/c unit is to blame for this incident…..he is not LE or someone in-the-know……

Last edited:
My money is on carbon monoxide. Deaths among those traveling abroad are rare, but among them, carbon monoxide is a common COD. A few examples from a 5 second search below. You can buy a portable detector to take with you on trips if you're concerned about carbon monoxide. Or just get in the habit of opening windows.

Opening windows will not necessarily prevent CO poisoning. Ventilation disperses it and good ventilation is important, but open windows is NOT a substitute for a functioning, correctly installed CO detector.

“People may think that carbon monoxide is no problem because they live in a “loose” old house. Or that carbon monoxide is not a problem because they “opened a door” in the garage. Or that carbon monoxide is not a problem because they are in a huge building with lots of open space, like in an ice skating arena. Unfortunately, a “loose” building, or an open door, or a large space does not guarantee that a person will not become ill from carbon monoxide or even die.” Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Ventilation (AEN-209) - Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering

DM article is reporting Freon discharges from faulty air conditioners are being implicated.

I’ve never heard of this kind of intoxication before. So many places use A/C units. You’d think it would be more recognized as a potentially fatal problem, like carbon monoxide, chlorine gas, insecticides, etc

Freon intoxication sounds a bit different than the reported symptoms of the victims of this incident.

This is an older article, but it notes that in their investigations, fatal freon intoxication occured with deliberate inhalant abuse, such as spray cans.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back