GUILTY Bali - Bali Nine, Australians arrested for heroin trafficking, 2005

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-29/indonesia-executes-andrew-chan-myuran-sukumaran/6428732

"We do not and have never understated the seriousness of their crimes," Ms Bishop said.

"The point that we have made throughout is that they have reformed and they had a contribution to make to other prisoners in the Indonesian prison system, including taking them away from a life of drugs and putting them on the path to recovery and reform.

"The withdrawal of an ambassador is to register our displeasure at the way our citizens have been treated."

A very sad day.

I'd like us to spare a thought today for Majell Hind who is the Australian Consular official who was present when the executions took place and has the dreadful task of identifying Andrew and Myurans bodies. She will then travel the 9 hours by road accompanying their bodies to Jakarta where they will be returned to Australia.
Majell has come to know well both these men and their families so this is horrific for her as well.

RIP Andrew, Myuran, and the six others. A horrible day for their families, and for those of us that this deeply affects. :rose:

I am glad our ambassador is being recalled. And I hope further measures are taken.

I am watching a presser right now with Tony Abbott and Julie Bishop. They still have not been officially notified by Indonesia of the firing squad deaths. They only know because of the gunshots that were heard at 3:30am this morning.

Hypocrisy, much?

"In a statement, the Indonesian government said the protection of its citizens abroad was a "priority" and listed the attempts it had made to help Siti [one of 2 Indo women beheaded in Saudi], including providing legal aid, writing letters to the Saudi King and "continuous efforts... to ask for forgiveness from the family." Indonesia said in many cases its efforts had worked. From July 2011 to the end of March this year, it said it had "successfully freed" 238 of its citizens from the death penalty."

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/17/asia/indonesia-saudi-arabia-executions/

Been to Indonesia, loved it (aside from hairy couple of days in Lombok during Ramadan!), but not impressed with this news and won't be rushing back.

The ambulances with our guys inside are just exiting the ferry onto the mainland, then they will be travelling to Jakarta. Our govt intends to fly them home here.

Our consular official looks wrecked.

Live coverage Ch7 News.

Absolutely! I will never set foot in Indonesia. A lot of Aussies are saying the same thing. I will also boycott any Indonesian goods etc I can.

Same, will never set foot in this disgraceful country again. Dreaded waking up this morning to hear the news. When I first jumped in the car there was absolutely nothing said, and I thought YES a last minute reprieve. Unfortunately that was not the case. The way these executions were carried out is beyond belief. Shame on Indonesia.

Same, will never set foot in this disgraceful country again. Dreaded waking up this morning to hear the news. When I first jumped in the car there was absolutely nothing said, and I thought YES a last minute reprieve. Unfortunately that was not the case. The way these executions were carried out is beyond belief. Shame on Indonesia.

As the PM and FM both said this morning. It is a difficult time for our relationship with Indonesia. A black, black day.

Many of us will be joining you in never visiting Indonesia, or buying their products.

DFAT and consular officials have just arrived at the hotel where the families are staying, to officially deliver them the news they do not want to hear.

The families have released a statement, which was read in its entirety on the news.

Today we lost Myuran and Andrew. Our sons, our brothers.

In the 10 years since they were arrested they did all they could to make amends, helping many others. They asked for mercy, but there was none.

They were immensely grateful for all the support they received.

We too will be forever grateful.

2cp3v29.png

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bali-9-...n-shot-dead-in-indonesia-20150428-1mvjj8.html
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...face-final-hours/story-fn59niix-1227325398207

Indonesia screwed this up. According to all reports these guys had become fine men. I'm not sure that the Indonesian prison system was a 'direct' influence in that but they at least allowed them the freedom, resources and time to reflect and develop. Look at how poorly rehabilitation is handled in so many countries around the world. In Myuran and Andrew Indonesia had shining examples of prisoners.

And then their government goes ahead and does this. How immensely stupid can they be?

So the Australian Ambassador is leaving. Is the Indonesian Ambassador to Australia being told to pack their bags and shove off?

It's not like they can stop taking drugs whenever they chose to.

Of course they can. That's why we have recovering drug addicts. Not easy but certainly possible.

All eight prisoners executed in Indonesia refused to wear blindfolds, singing as they were shot dead on the island of Nusakambangan.

Pastor Karina de Vega said the voices of all eight members of the group cut through the still night air.

"They were praising their God," Pastor de Vega said.

Among the songs the group sung was Amazing Grace.

"They bonded together," she said.

"Brotherhood. They sang one song after another. Praising God. They sang a few songs together, like in a choir. The non-Christian I believe also sang from his heart. It was such an experience."

"Everyone was looking forward, it seems everyone accepted their fate," said Father Burrows.
"We didn't think it would happen," Father Burrows said. "It is finished. It's all done."

Indonesian authorities changed their mind and Christie Buckingham, a senior pastor at Bayside Church and David Soper, an old friend of the Chan family, were able to be with the men until the final minutes.

Fairfax Media understands both men died quickly.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bali-ex...dfolds-as-they-were-shot-20150429-1mvm99.html

:cry:

How many Aussie citizens have been put to death in the US? That would be NONE. But each to their own bias.

I need a "fishing" smilie here...... in real life I don't use "bait" to fish with. I use flies.

Our government is being particularly hypocritical in regards to the grandstanding today, the embassy is not closing, so I wonder how long it will be before the ambassador returns. Not long I imagine.

Our government is being particularly hypocritical in regards to the grandstanding today, the embassy is not closing, so I wonder how long it will be before the ambassador returns. Not long I imagine.

Good to know that! :thinking: NOT.

Those people are messed up by their choices already. I think being an addict is a punishment enough. It's not like they can stop taking drugs whenever they chose to. Dealers can stop, and they chose to harm other because they want money. Addicts are addicts.

Bull snot.

"This is a black day for the AFP, a day they deliberately exposed nine Australians to the death penalty," he said.

Mr Myers (lawyer for Scott Rush) said they deliberately handed the group to Indonesian authorities, knowing they were subjecting the young Australians to death by firing squad.

Asked if the AFP had blood on its hands over Chan's and Sukumaran's deaths on Wednesday morning, Mr Myers replied, "of course they do".

"They knew of this plot, they knew of eight participants and they didn't want to stop these people," he said.

"They allowed these young people to leave, knowing full well of their intended crimes and they advised the Indonesian authorities knowing full well that death was inevitable."

He said the Australian authorities had ample opportunity to make their own arrests, either before they left the country or upon their return.

He alleged the passports of the eight known members had alerts placed on them by the AFP prior to the group departing Australia, which officers at the airport were instructed to ignore.

An internal review of the AFP's involvement in the arrests of the Bali Nine resulted in a change in procedure which compels officers to seek the Attorney General's nod before alerting authorities in other countries in similar circumstances.

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/an...ck-day-for-afp-bob-myers-20150429-1mvo24.html

10.39am - Indonesian Embassy in talks
Staff at the Indonesian embassy in Canberra are locked in a meeting.
This follows Australia’s decision this morning to recall its ambassador to Indonesia, Paul Grigson, following the executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.
It is possible that Indonesia may withdraw its own ambassador Riphat Kesoema from Australia.

Indonesian officials said that the eight men were confirmed dead at 1.02am, 27 minutes after shots were fired. But that referred to the time it took to certify all eight mean dead, not the amount of time it took them to die.
“They passed quickly,” one source said and were courageous and dignified to the end.

Live updates at this link:
http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/t...myuran-sukumaran/story-fnh81fz8-1227325701195

All eight prisoners executed in Indonesia refused to wear blindfolds, singing as they were shot dead on the island of Nusakambangan.

Pastor Karina de Vega said the voices of all eight members of the group cut through the still night air.

"They were praising their God," Pastor de Vega said.

Among the songs the group sung was Amazing Grace.

"They bonded together," she said.

"Brotherhood. They sang one song after another. Praising God. They sang a few songs together, like in a choir. The non-Christian I believe also sang from his heart. It was such an experience."

"Everyone was looking forward, it seems everyone accepted their fate," said Father Burrows.
"We didn't think it would happen," Father Burrows said. "It is finished. It's all done."

Indonesian authorities changed their mind and Christie Buckingham, a senior pastor at Bayside Church and David Soper, an old friend of the Chan family, were able to be with the men until the final minutes.

Fairfax Media understands both men died quickly.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bali-ex...dfolds-as-they-were-shot-20150429-1mvm99.html

:cry:

Thank You for posting this. The changes these people made while in prison and their courageous attitudes in the end count as true remorse and rehabilitation. IMO, it was so wrong of the Indonesian government to execute them.

"This is a black day for the AFP, a day they deliberately exposed nine Australians to the death penalty," he said.

Mr Myers (lawyer for Scott Rush) said they deliberately handed the group to Indonesian authorities, knowing they were subjecting the young Australians to death by firing squad.

Asked if the AFP had blood on its hands over Chan's and Sukumaran's deaths on Wednesday morning, Mr Myers replied, "of course they do".

"They knew of this plot, they knew of eight participants and they didn't want to stop these people," he said.

"They allowed these young people to leave, knowing full well of their intended crimes and they advised the Indonesian authorities knowing full well that death was inevitable."

He said the Australian authorities had ample opportunity to make their own arrests, either before they left the country or upon their return.

He alleged the passports of the eight known members had alerts placed on them by the AFP prior to the group departing Australia, which officers at the airport were instructed to ignore.

An internal review of the AFP's involvement in the arrests of the Bali Nine resulted in a change in procedure which compels officers to seek the Attorney General's nod before alerting authorities in other countries in similar circumstances.

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/an...ck-day-for-afp-bob-myers-20150429-1mvo24.html

Absolutely they do. It could have been an Australian bust. We chose to leave them to the mercies of the Indonesian government. They can say they don't all they like. But the blood drips from the AFP's hands as it does from Widodo's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517
Back