GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
HM and TS appeals (both prosecution and defense) have been denied. Sentences stand at 10 and 18 years.

I wasn't actually aware that the appeals were going on. There's no mention of Soenardi and I don't recall HM ever getting the $$ for 'her' appeal.

She and Stella are allowed to go to the men's side of the prison every day. I don't think this is usual; IIRC, male/female prisoners usually meet in the visitors area. Stella is the excuse.

HM doesn't look quite as complacent about the verdict this time. Perhaps she thought it was already bought and paid for.

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/heather-mack-and-boyfriend-lose-appeals-against-sentence-for-killing-her-mother-in-bali-resort/story-fnh81fz8-1227459191452

Looks like the prosecution will try again to have HM's sentence increased?

Both the defence and the prosecution had appealed the sentences on the grounds of severity and leniency and the prosecution has now confirmed it will appeal further, to a higher court, in a bid to have 19-year-old Heather Mack’s sentence increased.

And I think that pic is from when they were first convicted? Stella looks way too small in that pic based on the recent pics on her IG IMO.

I missed the part about the prosecution appealing again!

This is good news. It doesn't cost the prosecution anything to appeal. I wonder if the prosecutor is the same 'Eddy' that HM called an '*advertiser censored**er' on camera when he wouldn't let her skip the sentencing hearing to go to the hospital? Maybe HM's getting a taste of his 'attitude what it do'?

Kamille, I also thought Stella looked very small in that picture, but TS doesn't have the sandwich box he had in the previous pictures. I don't know what to make of it, other than that HM is not happy.

This is the last paragraph of the above story:
"One of Mack’s Indonesian lawyers, Ni Kadek Sri Novi Wirani, said the team had yet to make a decision on whether to appeal further."

I think this means: " depending if HM can get any money on Aug 14".

I hope HM is FINALLY shaking in her boots. Looking more and more like she will be there 10 years. One can hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the US has more waiting for them if/when they return.

eb23d2c19401ee9aecb258c76dee26b0.jpg

Did she forget why she's in prison?

By looking at her IG, you'd never know she's in prison. Seriously. :notgood:

:bump:

O/T

OkieGranny's been thoughtfully finishing the older threads in Recently Sentenced and Beyond.

I want to thank her. :tyou: She's our Paul Harvey. "And now we know-- the rest of the story".

https://instagram.com/missheathermack/

You have to request to follow her. Not sure if she's still accepting requests.

ETA: The profile pic tells it all really. It's a fun slumber party over there.

Heather Mack, Chicago, IL???? Shouldn't the location be Hotel K, Bali? :jail: The girl with her in the pic looks either Thai or Filipina. I wonder what she's in there for?

Is her page gone? I got an error message when I clicked on her Instagram page.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

It's not gone but she changed her user ID to balibum6565

She deleted all her pics as well, not sure what that's about...

It's not gone but she changed her user ID to balibum6565

She deleted all her pics as well, not sure what that's about...

Well, that indicates a change in mindset, that she's going to be hanging around Bali for quite awhile rather than returning to Chicago.

I hope someone brings the social media info, including pics, to the hearing on Friday. Show the judge where the money is/will be going. Where IS she getting the money right now? Or is there wireless internet all over Kerobokan and she's using it in her "cell" (which looks more like a large budget hotel room, wooden furniture and all). I wonder if she's soliciting donations from all the friends she "networks" with on various social media accounts?

And ironically, at least two of the women in her cell, and pictured with her in a photo that did not make the article, are in for life. She calls them her "Thai beautys" so you know where they're from and it's probably not murder they're in for. SMH :notgood:

Mediator may be sought over trust fund left in Bali suitcase murder

It was a year ago this week that a wealthy Chicago woman was found slain, her body stuffed in an abandoned suitcase outside a luxury Bali resort..

But the legal battle over a trust fund for her teenage daughter, who was convicted of assisting in her murder, continues.

Lawyers on Friday told a Cook County judge that they may bring in an independent mediator to help them resolve disagreement over the $1.56 million trust fund that Sheila von Wiese-Mack had left to Heather Mack, her only child, in the event of her death.

Under Illinois' slayer statute, a person who intentionally and unjustifiably caused the death of another person cannot receive property as a result of the death of that person.

Before her murder, von Wiese-Mack tapped her attorney brother, William, to oversee the money until her daughter's 30th birthday.

Mack's lawyers in Chicago are trying to win her access to the trust fund.

But attorneys for William Wiese said that he wants to ensure the money is secured for the future of the baby, Stella, and not accessed by Mack or Schaefer.

Wiese has released some funds to Mack since her conviction for food and other necessities, as she is breast-feeding and caring for her daughter, his attorney said Friday.

But, if lawyers can't reach agreement, a hard-fought court hearing likely will be held in Chicago in which a judge ultimately will decide if Mack has a right to the money.

"She's being fed to nourish the baby, but other than that, we still have significant issues we are trying to resolve," said attorney Leonard LeRose, who represents Wiese.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-bali-heather-mack-hearing-met-20150814-story.html

So basically, they still can't figure it out. And it appears that WW wants to do the right thing by Stella but is the right thing really allowing her to live in a Bali prison for 2 years and then placed with a family in Bali for another 8 years just to have her continue to be her mother's bank roll when she gets out?

SWM's brother has been put in a very bad situation and I'm not sure a fair outcome is possible, given flawed laws and lawyers willing to take advantage of them.

I hope this drags out. As long as it does, HM and TS are still in prison, and as the recent failed appeal shows, unless HM can get her hands on $$$, her next appeal is likely to also fail.

HM's playing a very tricky game. It doesn't do her any good to settle her inheritance on Stella unless she keeps control of Stella. That's exactly what WW has to try to prevent, but I don't think the laws work in his favor. The only evidence we have right now seems to suggest that Stella is doing fine. She appears to be getting fed and treated well - and, most importantly, she's outside US control right now.

I hope it drags out, because it will force HM's hand. Perhaps she really intends to surrender Stella to a foster home at six months, perhaps not. If she does give Stella to the Aussie family, I think she'll find it tougher than she thinks right now. She appears to have settled in, Stella is more like a pet than a child to her, but she is constant company. I think she'll miss her when she's gone. It might also mean her visits to the male side of the prison are no longer allowed. I also think if/when that happens, TS is more likely to find drugs.

I still haven't figured out how giving Stella to the Aussie family is going to put $150K in HM's hands. Some kind of discussion must have gone on - I don't think KW made up the text messages she said she saw. Surely HM doesn't think the court will give the Aussie family $150K, no strings attached, no questions asked, for Stella's 'care', ie, for HM's appeal.

FWIW, Stella may be in a better position with HM in Kerobokan than she would be if they were all free and back in Chicago. HM has 7x24 eyes on her - if she starts abusing or neglecting Stella, word will get around and I think the prison authorities will step in. If they were back in Chicago, HM and TS would likely be partying hard and living large - who knows what Stella would be exposed to or how she would be treated?

So, what is there to "mediate"? Why is the slayer statute not clear in this case? HM was convicted and is doing time. I just don't understand why there is any question. Is it about Stella? If everyone is so concerned about her, then why hasn't there been a massive effort to get her out of prison??

I thought this hearing would have the judge invoking the slayer statute. Of course HM's attorneys are not going to willingly hand the trust over to WW

WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members